Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bubble Magus Curve 5 HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
robbrouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbrouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bubble Magus Curve 5 HELP!
    Posted: November 12 2013 at 1:40pm
So I picked one up over the weekend. When I first put it into mu sump the cup filled right away.

I adjusted it and then nothing all day woke up to overflowing cup.

Adjusted it again and it ran all day yesterday and no skim mate. About 10 minutes a go full cup.

Another adjustment and it half way up the neck no matter what setting I set it to.

It's setting in 10" of water.

Any ideas?
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 1:59pm
I had the same problem with my curve 5. Prop it up with some light diffuser or something else so that water depth is closer to 9". Leave the exit gate wide open the first 4-5 days and then make *very* small adjustments over time.

It also helps to keep your water level as constant as possible if your sump design allows it.
robbrouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbrouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 3:21pm
Trying that now thank you...
robbrouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbrouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 7:51pm
Ok, so after about 48 hours the bubbles are not going up the neck any more kind of stop at the bottom of it.  It was producing very light tea color skim mate.  Should I let it rest or drop it down a little in the water? 

The water level stays the same in the skimmer section of my sump. Little t no fluctuation. 
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 7:26am
What is your bioload? It could be that your water is pretty clean. How deep is the skimmer now? Is the inlet plugged(mine acts like this if a small piece of macro gets sucked in. How open is your exit gate?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 7:51am
When a tank is new (age < 4 months), it may not have much to skim. It may have one substance (relatively speaking) that skims off immediately and then, though the pump is running, the skimmer may seem dormant, producing few bubbles. Not to worry. Wink Those bubbles are building up an accumulation of waste that stays in the chamber and will eventually reach the collection cup

Be patient and wait. Sleepy Don't be too quick to adjust the level either via the skimmers standing depth or effluent outlet adjustment relative to the exterior water level and/or interior foam level. The foam level should eventually stabilize, though it may end up different than in the beginning.

When an older tank (age > 12 months) has not been skimmed in a while, it may have an abundance of compounds that easily foam. Soap is just one substance that makes bubbles. Ouch Heaven forbid that there was soap in the aquarium, but soap is an example of one of the best foams that a skimmer can produce. Natural oils and surfactants can build up in an aquarium so that a skimmers first days are spent in what may seem like an overproduction of skimate(a pure reefing term not found in dictionaries). Smile

It is important to remember that skimming is not a necessity, not the same as AC (activated carbon) is a necessity. Please don't misunderstand. Yes, skimming can be helpful Thumbs Up but it's just one way to run a reef aquarium. Skimming removes waste that is actually food. Food that would ordinarily feed micro-organisms like bacteria, algae and very tiny bugs - all beneficial to a reef ecosystem. In the absence of that food, those organisms will be reduced and not be available to feed the animals at the next level.

Some hobbyists choose not to skim. Some choose to do frequent water changes. Some choose to grow lots of Macroalgae. Some choose to use an undersize skimmer or to skim at regular intervals. Then of course, there are hobbyists that choose to overstock their aquariums, relative to the biofiltration capacity, and use not only an oversize skimmer, but other supplemental filtration as well.

A tank with a skimmer ends up a little different than one without a skimmer. Not better, just different.
This reef geek just thought you might like to know that. Geek

Aloha,
Mark Hug
AC all the way.

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 15 2013 at 8:02am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic