Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quarantining my fish!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quarantining my fish!
    Posted: November 13 2013 at 12:23am
So I've decided to pull my fish out of my display and treat them. As much as I don't really want to do this, I have an Achilles tang that I don't want to take any risks with (was almost done qt'ing), and I just noticed ich on my blue tang. My main concern is that I want to make sure none of my fish are going to be overly sensitive to cupramine, prazi, or any other medications that you might suggest. I also have some furan 2 that I may use also. Advice on treating certain fish, and time lines for treatment would be great! The fish coming out of the display are listed below.

Lieutenant tang
Pyramid butterfly
Blue tang
Bellus angel
Masked swallow tail angel
Lineatus wrasse
Earli wrasse
Rhomboid wrasse
Red velvet wrasse
Labouti wrasse
Red Sea eight line flasher wrasse
Bartlett anthias
Pair of clowns
Pair of Bangai cardinals
Tail spot blenny
Blue spot jaw fish
Mandarin goby
Target goby
Two spot goby (signal goby)
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 1:46am
Not sure about the different species and how well they fare with different treatments, but I do know that medications can cause them to lose weight faster than normal so be sure to feed well! This will decrease stress and increase fish health to maximize survival.

For ich, you need AT LEAST 6 weeks of treatment. There are a few different groups of people that choose one method over another. I know a two tank method works well and copper seems to work but with potentially more trouble (due to sensitivity of fish and concentrations in the water being too high if not checked regularly).
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 5:31am
I'd avoid copper with the tangs. PraziPro does sometimes cause temporary anorexia, so make sure your fish are healthy and well fed first.

Nice fish list btw.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 9:24am
Thanks guys. I was a little worried about the prazi making them stop eating, but these guys are maniacs when it comes to food. Im hopeful that they should be ok. I dont think theres an issue that would require prazi, but I just want to be sure with my angels. Do you think hypo would be the a good alternative to cupramine? I know the tank transfer method would be good, but ill already have 3 tanks (40 brdr, 20, and 40? storage tote) and I dont know if I can manage it..
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 9:31am
As soon as the fish are out of the Prazi, they should be fine.

Hypo is good, but I'd start cooking up some baby brine shrimp for your Gobies. The shrimp will live for a few days in hypo. I'd also run Furan-2 with the hypo to ward off secondary infections.

You could also look at chloroquine diphoshate. It may be a good alternative for you. I have some, but I have not personally used it yet.

If you are worried about velvet or uronema, I'd throw in a few freshwater dips. If you haven't dippped a tang before, it's pretty horrifying to watch, but they are fine with it.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 10:02am
I just received some brine eggs yesterday in the mail! Good timing, haha. After doing some more reading I think I may try the chloroquine diphoshate. It sounds like its pretty good stuff. My only concern would be the gobies and the meds killing the brine. So, my initial thought is to keep them in the 20 gal tank and run hypo in that tank, then run the chloroquine in the bigger tank with the tangs and angels etc. Would that work?

Oh, and after reading a lot of your posts, nikki, I bought some methylene blue and plan on doing some fresh water dips. Thanks for all your help!
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 10:20am
No problem! Glad to help. Yes, I think running the Gobies separately in hypo would be smart.Plus, with hypo you can use sand...which will make them feel more at home. If any of your wrasses bury at night, I'd put them in hypo too.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 11:39am
Ok, Ill do that. As far as timeline goes, is 6 weeks going to be sufficient in hypo?
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 12:02pm
Yes, 6 weeks is good.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 12:04pm
This is quite the undertaking. You better be really sure about this.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 12:58pm
Wow that's a lot of fish in qt? Do you have a uv on your main display?
220 G SPS Display.

P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

This is quite the undertaking. You better be really sure about this.

Adam

Ive gone back and forth about it for a couple weeks, and Im pretty sure my wife is going to hate me for all the space im taking up in her laundry/storage room LOL. But I just want to be sure that these guys that ive spent too much money on, are going to be healthy. Any advice you have would be much appreciated, and a salt donation for water changes might not be turned away either...Big smile (joking of course)
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Teknik777 Teknik777 wrote:

Wow that's a lot of fish in qt? Do you have a uv on your main display?

Yeah, its going to be quite the task. I was running an undersized uv that the bulb was getting old on, but im in the process of hooking up my ozone generator. Should be up and running when all the tangs are put back in.
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 10:14am
Aloha,

I just need to say this:

It sure sounds wonderful to think that all our fish could be clear of parasites and never bothered by them for the rest of our life. It's definitely fascinating to follow QT/HT procedures the way that Nikki does them, but I honestly believe the effort is more than most hobbyists want to take and... fish still die. 

A spot of Ich on a Blue Tang does not mean the end. When using a UV Sterilizer, it's good to keep a spare bulb and replace the spare as soon as it is installed. Unfortunately, I have noticed that tanks using a UV Sterilizer become dependent on the UV Sterilizer. UV creates Ozone in a special way that seems to work quite well at discouraging Ich outbreaks, sometimes even better than using Ozone via the Skimmer. Each tank is different.

Just for the benefit of other hobbyists that may be reading this, other ways to keep fish healthy and free of debilitating disease are:
- cautious not to overstock;
- avoid incompatible fish;
- provide good aquascaping with caves holes and hiding places
- feed well with good natural foods during the day and at night;
- provide macroalgae and plenty of bugs growing in the tank;
- use a garlic product that works for the individual tank; and
- use supplemental filtration equipment like an oversized skimmer and a sulfur de-nitrator.

If we spend this extra effort on trying to keep a sterile tank where fish are never exposed, what happens when some kind of pathogen accidentally gets into the tank? Remember Murphy's Law? I think a lot can be said for allowing exposure and treating it so that the organism can be strengthened against subsequent exposure of the same or a different pathogen. Those who have been responsible for children for a considerable length of time may relate to this idea. Smile

Mahalo,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 15 2013 at 10:22am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 10:46am
And as I said at the meeting debate... I've NEVER lost a fish that made it through my QT treatment.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 10:47am
I agree
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 10:48am
Ha ha, I meant I agree with Mark, and Nikki slipped a post in there while I was typing.

Adam
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 12:22pm
My Ich Story:

Last year I lost 16 fish due to ich in my 235 tank. I've had ich in my tank for as long as I could remember but one day it was like all hell broke lose and I was losing fish left and right to those little white spots. I'm still not certain what exactly caused it (I have a myriad of theories though). At the time it was happening I considered removing all the coral/rocks, catching all the fish, and QTing them while I ran Ozone on the system. I did not and I lost all but 3 fish.

After the worst was over I set up a quarantine tank and hooked up ozone to the display in hopes of killing any ich that remained waterborn. After about a month I figured I was in the clean and started adding new fish. I QTed them for 2 weeks before I put them in the display but even so they all died within a week from Ich. I then attempted to catch the three remaining fish without removing all the coral/rocks out of the tank to quarantine them. I only was able to catch one which I treated in the QT for a few weeks and put him back.

Over the past year I've been running Ozone and keeping a very close eye on the remaining survivors and I've never seen any sign of ich. Also a few months ago my nano broke and I had to add sever fish to the 235 and they are still perfectly fine so I think I'm in the clear.

In hindsight I should of just maned up and treated the fish no mater what. At this point I'm sure I still have ich in there somewhere but whatever was causing the ich outbreak has stopped. In about a month I'll be slowly adding more fish and seeing what happens.

Despite what I went through I agree with Mark, we can not maintain a perfectly sterile tank and to do so would be foolish but I also think that if you have the makings of a massive ich outbreak try and quickly solve the problem but if you can't figure it out in time and fish start dropping, remove every fish and treat them.

Micah

Edited by Sculpin - November 15 2013 at 12:29pm
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 4:16pm
I think that what Mark is saying are all great things. I dont think that everyone should do what Im doing, and go to this extreme measure. I see his point in not trying to maintain an entirely sterile environment, and I dont believe that my tank will be invincible after going through all this. But, with the type of fish I intend to purchase in the future and care for, a few of which are often labeled by retailers as 'expert only', I think this is the right route for me. (I dont think that Im an expert by any means, haha). I dont think that ich, or velvet etc, for these delicate fish is comparable to a cough in a child. I know that kids get sick, and really need to to develop an immune system. But Im willing to spend a little extra time and money to give my fish some 'cough syrup' to ensure their health, and back the time and money that Ive spent on them. Plus, I kinda enjoy doing this. Again, my idea for this probably isnt the best for everyone, and I think Marks advice is great. I employ a lot of his habits myself to try and maintain a healthy aquarium. Thanks Mark!
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 4:42pm
Exactly. Those are not common fish and should not be considered disposable. They need more than the common care.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic