Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank drilling/sump set up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Apxhockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apxhockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank drilling/sump set up
    Posted: November 14 2013 at 9:14am
My old tank sprung a leak, and I'm about to buy a 56 gallon column tank. If I have a hang on the back skimmer and a hang on the back filter, do I really need a sump? If so I need to find some where to get my tank drilled and I need to find all the pumps and intake out take things what ever they are called. As you can tell I am pretty new to the whole sump thing so if you think I should need a sump, if you could let me know of some places I could get it drilled and all the equipment I would need and all that fun stuff that would be great!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 8:51am
Aloha Russell,

It's not too surprising that your question went unanswered for a day. It's a big question with a very involved set of answers. There are important considerations when drilling a tank and using sumps.

No, a sump is not needed. It will help but it is not needed. As a matter of fact, that skimmer and HOB filter are not "needed". These tanks of the month(5/03 and 11/08) had none of those, just natural biofiltration and innovative water flow patterns.

I would be happy to offer my assistance. I currently have both types running, sump and sumpless. I'm in Murray if you would like to visit and talk reef.

Anything that can be conceived, can be achieved.
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
robbrouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbrouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 9:07am
I had a 56 gallon column, bought from Petsmart. My biggest issue was lighting it.. 30" t5 was the only lights I could find.  

Now for your question about a sump. If you do want one, you can get an overflow box, Made from PVC pipe like I did or store bought.  

I know somewhere I have photos of my tank not sure I took any of the pipe.. I upgraded to a 75, but at times still miss the 56...
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 9:20am
Not to disagree, but PC, T5 and MH lighting could also be made to work just fine.
It may dictate where coral are placed and it may require a DIY fixture. DIY is all I do. I like to make hanging lights so I can easily raise them to work in the tank.

I have made and used HOB overflows but do not recommend them, especially for relatively new hobbyists. A flood on the floor is inevitable. My preference would be to make the glass box work as it is or have it drilled and an overflow built by someone with experience.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Anything that can be conceived can be achieved.

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 15 2013 at 9:25am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic