Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tile for clownfish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tile for clownfish
    Posted: November 14 2013 at 12:45pm
My clowns are showing signs of spawning behavior (dancing, religious cleaning from the male, territorial, etc). I want to put in a tile to encourage spawning. They have been paired for almost 2 years now. My questions is, what kind of tile do I get? I just want to make sure the one I get isn't leaching anything back into the tank.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 12:19pm
Ordinary fired ceramic tile. Even clay gardening pots have worked.
Where is he cleaning? I have removed rocks just before the hatch and had hundreds of surviving larvae in my rearing tanks.
We have also successfully removed larvae after the hatch, when removing the rock was impractical.
Want to know more?
I'm not an expert. Others have far surpassed me, but here's a pic of the start of my first success, back in 1996.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 12:30pm
I've had really good success with the standard clay pots. They feel really comfortable in them, and they are easy to remove from the tank when the eggs are ready to hatch.
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 2:52pm
I like the clay pot idea. I think I will give that a shot. If they do happen to lay, anyone with a breeding setup is welcome to the eggs so long as I could get a couple babies if they hatchWink. They are a black ice pair. 
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic