Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPS and GFO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SPS and GFO
    Posted: November 14 2013 at 4:18pm
I wanted to mention that since I took my GFO reactor offline I have seen much better color in all of my corals. I am thinking that my corals were starving with the GFO online even with moderate feeding. I had PO4 around .04(Hanna) and felt that this was a good level as it seems that a lot of sps dominant tanks run PO4 at this level.

A word to the newbs like me. Don't starve your corals with GFO!! Keep up on water changes and get a good protein skimmer and you will be fine in most cases. I'm sure some of you have has success with GFO but maybe my protein skimmer by EA is too good for my tank and in combination with GFO its just too much for my tank:)
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 5:06pm
I run half the recommended amount of gfo in my tank to try and prevent that from happening but the risk is real. I have bleached corals by running to much gfo before.

I think you will find over and over again in these forums that those who run ULN systems feed their systems heavily and frequently.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 6:30pm
True, I guess I never fed enough even when I was running 1/4 the recommended amount.
That stuff is super strong and should be used with caution.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 6:44pm
Just out of curiosity where you using the regular GFO or the High Capacity GFO?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 6:48pm
I've bleached my corals with GFO before, but I still run it. I start with about 1/2 the recommended amount then slowly increase (maybe a TBSP per month on a 200g system). Plus, I still am old school with my feedings (following the BLU Coral Method.) I've managed to keep my phosphates around 0.03 with good color on SPS (and LPS/softies).
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 6:51pm
For the record, ReefdUp can keep anything alive!
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 7:03pm
LOL, ok, ok...fair enough.   
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Just out of curiosity where you using the regular GFO or the High Capacity GFO?

I used the regular granular GFO, not high capacity. I think with my regular water change schedule and protein skimmer it was pulling too much nutrients out for all my SPS corals that need to feed.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 3:28pm
I think you're right. I skim pretty dry, only use 1/2 the recommended amount of gfo and feed in the medium range and it works good for me. I think if I didn't like to feed that I would have problems as well.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

I think you're right. I skim pretty dry, only use 1/2 the recommended amount of gfo and feed in the medium range and it works good for me. I think if I didn't like to feed that I would have problems as well.

For the record it wasn't that I wasn't feeding heavy. I was feeding a couple cubes of frozen/ day and still had pale sps. I noticed a trend when I would see others tanks that really looked colorful and none of them used GFO but would use other PO4 removers if any.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 10:36am
I ran gfo for a couple months and had coral growth slow down and diminished color. Now I run biopellets and have increased growth and vibrant colors in all of my sps.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 11:30pm
Whether using Granulated Ferric Oxide or Activated Alumina, it's not good to continually strip all the PO4 out of the water. Algae cannot grow without it. That includes symbiotic zooxanthellae algae.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic