Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strontium testing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strontium testing
    Posted: November 14 2013 at 10:16pm
Trying to decide if I should be testing for strontium and dosing.  My tank has been up since beginning of March and my corals are growing very well.  I do add Kent's Marine trace minerals every other week and I dose with Seachem calcium and reef builder alkalinity.  I plan on using bulk reef supplies bulk additives when my seachem is gone.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 12:53am
This may give some insight into the need of strontium: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/11/chemistry

As for others, needed tests are definitely calcium, mag, and alkalinity since (especially for hard corals) these make up the bulk of the skeleton. Also, fish need calcium and mag to keep their motor functions working properly, although they wont need as much.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 8:25am
Alk and Ca testing Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
In my opinion Mg testing is next and is more useful than Sr testing. If a hobbyist feels that Sr needs testing, then they might also want to test Iodine, PO4, Fe.... it's not commonly discussed but Sulfates are over 7% of natural seawater composition. Compare that to Mg compounds at just under 4%.

I find this enlightening: http://seagrant.gso.uri.edu/G_Bay/HabitatEco/Ecosystem/sea_water.html

Don't be fooled by the statement we often hear that the ocean reefs are nutrient barren. The abundance of organisms on the reef are eating nutrients faster than testing can detect them in the water.

Good live or fresh frozen foods contain the trace minerals/nutrients that the reef needs. It may seem gross to some, but we understand that fish waste is nutritious food containing much of the above mentioned nutrients.

Just thought someone reading this might want to know.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
AC all the way

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 15 2013 at 8:32am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 9:07am
I test Alk and Ca weekly and Mg about every 2 to 3 weeks.  Iodine about once a month, Fe every few months, and potassium every few months.  Trying to decide if I should buy the Sr test kits to start dosing if needed.  

When I test for Fe it always shows up as 0.  The first time I tested months ago I dosed tested again the next day and it read 0 so I dosed again.  I did this for 3 days then I quite.  I had put so much in I was worried something was wrong with the tests so I quite dosing.  I would rather not go through a bottle of RedSea Fe every few weeks to a month.  Maybe my chaeto is eating it all up.

Do many people in the hobby with sps tanks test and dose for Sr?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 12:37pm
I say do it. It's just one more test. Smile
Your test results with Iron are curious and you may be right. Macroalgae grows much better when Fe is present.
Don't know the answer to that one.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic