Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is happening?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is happening?
    Posted: November 19 2013 at 5:18pm
This hammer all of the sudden looks like it had been getting eaten or something.   I haven't been into reefing for very long so I have no clue as to what it is.   Could be perfectly normal haha.

I have not failed....I have just found 1000 ways that don't work.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 6:40pm
Google brown slime disease or brown jelly disease.  Does it look anything like that?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 6:49pm
That doesn't appear to be BJD. It looks like something is literally eating/bothering it. Do you have clownfish trying to host in it? A tang or other fish starting to nip? How long has it looked like that?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 7:14pm
If it looks like some of the polyp has been damaged (missing, squished, cut, etc) then something may be picking at it. If it just looks deflated, then that could just be a sign of heavy irritation from too much flow or some other coral too near it. Also, look for corals near it that could be sending out sweepers at night and stinging it.
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 7:58pm
I recently added 2 tomatoe clowns and a blue damsel.   The clowns are hosting my RBTA and don't move more than 5 inches from the RBTA ever.   I haven't seen the blue damsel come anywhere near it.   

I also have a green spotted puffer (hasn't touched any coral for the 6 months that I have had him).

Fu Manchu Lionfish but he minds his own business.

Strawberry Sudochromis she is a bi#$@ but doesn't hurt any corals

Leopard gruper no problems.

The closest coral to it is a ricordia mushroom and it is on the opposite side than the damaged area.
It really seems weird to me because all the other stems on the heads that are damaged don't seem to be bothered at all.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 8:02pm

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 7:23am
Watch it at night with a dim flashlight. I would not be surprised if there is a rock crab, so called because they come in as tiny hitchhikers on LR. They usually do their foraging at night. It's easy to catch and remove rock crabs. Bait a glass pint jar or drinking glass with a piece of raw shrimp. Lean the jar at an angle against a rock near the rock crabs home. The crab goes in for the bait but cannot climb back up the slick glass.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

BTW, I love your choice of semi aggressive fishes. Tomato Anemonefish are more aggressive than they at first appear. Shocked
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic