Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skimmer not making bubbles?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skimmer not making bubbles?
    Posted: November 24 2013 at 6:33pm
I have an ASM G1 that recently isn't blowing bubbles at all.  Well, very little.  I switched it from one tank to another, but would think after a couple weeks it would be back to normal.  Seems like normal water flow going on but just no air bubbles in the skimmer.

Seen that before?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 6:34pm
Is the airline clogged? Is the impeller still intact?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 6:36pm
That happened on my ASM.  Take the impeller out and look at it.  Sometimes the shaft breaks or too many of those bristle things will break off.  I replaced mine after about 5 years and then it was as good as new.  
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 6:37pm
My skimmer has done something similiar to this twice. Both times were fixed by taking it apart and cleaning it out.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 7:26pm
I'd check the impeller.

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 7:40pm
Since you are getting normal water flow, but no bubbles... venturi is clogged. Pull the airline and use the tine of a fork, or a very small screwdriver, to clean it out.
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

Since you are getting normal water flow, but no bubbles... venturi is clogged. Pull the airline and use the tine of a fork, or a very small screwdriver, to clean it out.

Bob hit it on the nose, ASM's are notorious for clogged venturi inlets. I have seen this happen a TON. Check the plastic nipple on the venturi and the airline.
Premium aquarium filtration!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic