Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Salt Mix Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salt Mix Recommendation
    Posted: November 27 2013 at 1:06pm
I have been using Red Sea Coral Pro salt for awhile. Now I have chance to try another salt.

so Red Sea Pro vs D-D H2Ocean magnesium Pro Plus.

Would you recommend using D-D H2Ocean magnesium Pro Plus?

200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 7:53am
D-D H2Ocean is good stuff but I like ESV B-Ionic way more than anything else. H2Ocean leaves a nice brown residue behind in your mixing container. D-D says it is fine and won't harm anything. It is meant to help fight phosphates or something like that.

Last I had read Red Sea had an Alk of like 12dkh. That is way too high for me so I have always just stayed with ESV.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 6:23pm
Danh, you've been at this about as long as me, but here is my opinion for what it's worth. Smile
Any salt mix is fine as long as you change over slowly with 4 water changes:
1. 75:25
2. 50:50
3. 25:75
4. 100
Also watch Alk, Ca and Mg levels specifically adding to keep levels as close to what the coral were accustomed to, for a while anyway.

Last I knew, Ryan was dosing carbon so his tank was doing well at an Alk level of 8 dKH. I can understand why he would avoid 12 dKH, especially if more than 10% monthly water changes are being done, or if ever a large water change were required, right? Smile

Aloha Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 7:12pm
Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and grab some d-d salt. 5 buckets should last me for next year.
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
Hugh101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 11:25pm
I am kinda new member. What is the D-D salt???
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 8:50am
Aloha Hugh,

DD is a fancy salt mix that contains extra of some components. Google it for more info.

As a long time coral farmer that also does things as economically as possible, I use ordinary Instant Ocean in 10% monthly water changes. IO has the right base ingredient combination. When my tank system needs Alk, Ca and Mg adjustment it's easy and cheap to use the home made supplements. This and more is discussed in the Reefkeeping Tips thread linked below in my signature line.
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 10:26am
I quit using Instant Ocean and have started using Oceanic exclusively.  Nice level of parameters in it, not real expensive, and I have been really happy with the results using it.   And the big blue 6 or 7 gallon bucket of it doesn't cost more than IO, and does 200 gallons, where the IO bucket does 160.  I find it more economical and I know a lot of people who use it, including a bunch to do tank maintenance for a living.
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 10:41am
For my simple anemone (DanhNgo splitting machine)/garden eel with almost no coral tank we stuck with cheap and easy to find instant ocean. 

When planning our 180 reef we looked at a lot of different salt mixes.  My wife did a lot of research on the different mixes and the pro's and cons.  It came between Tropic Marin and ESV B-Ionic.  We went ESV.  It's expensive and can be hard to find but our tank LOVES it and it's super easy and clean to mix (you put it together almost like a drink recipe).  I usually order online and buy 400 gallons at a time to take advantage of the free shipping. 
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 11:00am
Dan,  Why do you want to change? I have been using RS Coral pro for years with great results. Is there a reason you want to switch?

I looked around at others and I think if I switched for some reason I would go with Oceanic. But I don't think I will be switching anytime soon. I like that the levels in coral pro are high enough that doing water changes will actually raise some of my levels without having to dose. Salt mixes with lower levels require you to dose because their starting levels are at or below what most of us keep our alk and cal at in our reefs and so never make any difference on levels with a water change. Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 11:12am
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 11:54am
I've Been doing it for fifteen years and I have to agree with mark the higher cost of these designer salts you are way ahead to buy instant ocean and add what little chemicals it needs.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 12:05pm
I have plenty of buckets so I buy IO by the 200 gal box(packaged as 4x50 gal bags). Currently, Pet Solutions has it on sale for $40 and free shipping when I add $9 more to my order. I still have a 50 gal bag left from the last box, but if someone wants to go in on it with me, let me know. This deal is way less expensive than any other salt mix. Alk, Ca and Mg are also just pennies.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic