Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My DIY jellyfish tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My DIY jellyfish tank
    Posted: November 28 2013 at 11:35am
I was going to do this thread in stages as I built it but just never got around to it. So, here are some pics of the process. It's been a long time start to finish but I just but the jellies in yesterday. I'll start with some pics though as I built it. It's still not completely finished. I need to build a bottom and canopy but it's functional and running now. I only started with 3 jellies but hope to add 10 or so in total. Pics obviously don't do jellyfish any justice so I'll upload some videos later. 

I started out with just the top tank donated by Adam Blundell and Shane Silcox. Thanks. However, the black plastic was starting to peel and it needed other repairs. 

I used painting tape to create a mask for painting the oval shape. 

Here's the mask all finished and the old black plastic torn off so I could pain the tank. 

Here's the stand and tank all painted. 

Here's the top so you can see part of the plumbing. I had Eric drill two holes in the top for the drain. One is the main drain that is backed up with a gate valve and the other is just an emergency drain. It's super quiet. 

Here's the sump with live rock and sand. 

Just one crappy pic of one of the lighting schemes. The light changes 7 different colors. The 3 jellies just came yesterday and so far so good but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. These are so fragile-looking. 

one pic that didn't come out great. I need to use my other camera just don't have time right now. I don't have some great videos taken with my iPhone 5S. 

Edited by peiji - November 28 2013 at 11:41am
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 3:51pm
Sweet!

Thanks for posting

Linn
Pay it forward...
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 4:00pm
Glad it worked out
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 4:36pm
Looks cool!
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 7:40pm
Thanks again for heading this up.  Looks great so far!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 9:37pm
Nice Job!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 9:29pm
This is so cool!!!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Aquatic Evolution View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquatic Evolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 9:52am
Hey Jared, I received some Blue Jellies this week and they are doing great.  Thought you might want to know...
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 11:05am
Really? Can I keep them with Moon Jellies? 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 7:14pm
That turned out great Jared!

Good luck with the photos of the Moon Jellies. With their transparent bodies it is very difficult to get a decent photo of them.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 8:42pm

Awesome!

Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 10:15am
Jared, I have some questions on this great tank. First, I don't see a chiller running on this tank. Don't Jelly's require chilled water in order to do well? If you do chill the water is there any point in using live rock in the sump?

Second, was this a pre-built tank or did you build the oval insert that is in there to create the rotation flow? I love to watch Jellies but I'm not even close to jumping into a jelly tank. Just very curious.

Great job!
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 10:48am
i actually have a heater running on it right now. The jellies I have now prefer a temperature of 75 F. The tank is in the basement so I'll have to see what Summer is like but the lights don't put off any heat so I'm hopeful even in the summer I won't have to run a chiller. 

The oval insert was put in by Adam Blundell I believe. I got the tank from him. I manage the flow with a valve on the return hose and a spray bar going back into the tank. So far so good. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 10:28am
For anyone that's interested, i found this video on YouTube that shows a Blue Blubber Jellyfish being kept with Moon Jelllies. I've also been told by the distributor of Moon jellies that they can be kept together. I think there's a blue jelly at Aquatic Evolution with my name on it Wink

Edited by peiji - December 03 2013 at 10:28am
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 4:26pm
Very cool!

peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 3:40pm
Finally finished the top and bottom. In retrospect, I made the top too high but oh well, it works. 

Here are some more pics and even some videos: 

This one was from Aquatic Evolution. It's called a "blue jellyfish" but it's not a blue blubber jellyfish like I thought it was at first. Still, it's alive and appears to be doing ok after more than a week. It really looks like an upside down jellyfish but it does "swim" around and occasionally attaches itself to the glass or sides. Kind of strange. 

More pics of the moon jellies: You can see the food in the stomachs. 

here are some links to some videos:

Edited by peiji - December 16 2013 at 3:45pm
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 5:07pm
I really like that new jellyfish Jared. Let us know if you find out its real name.

Edited by Mike Savage - December 16 2013 at 5:08pm

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 5:57pm
this is really cool!

I received a mailer from Aquatic Dreams and they are selling a desktop jellyfish tank that would be really cool. Funny thing was that later that night my wife was on groupon and saw the same advertisement for one but for a lot cheaper haha.

peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 2:53pm
Things took a turn for the worse. They were doing fine until a few weeks ago. They started to shrink and lose their tentacles. I did a few water changes before I left on vacation for a week. When I got back, one was missing and the other two had shrunk to the size of a dime and quarter. I did a few more water changes and then this morning, the other two were gone. Now I have to start over and figure out what to change in order to keep them alive. I find it hard to believe there's that much food to pollute a tank that has 50 gallons+ of water with a sump and a lot of live rock and live sand. I haven't had time to check the pH and nitrates, etc. since I've been back but they were normal when I left. Frustrating. I still have the jelly without a name. Spends all it's time stuck to the glass on the sides though. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 3:38pm
That IS frustrating. I do hope you get it figured out.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic