Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My DIY jellyfish tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 8:09pm
Very unfortunate.  On the plus side, your contribution to this learning and exploration is very valuable.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 2:33pm
ROUND 2...

So, I made several adjustments after consulting with Nancy of Sunset Marine Labs and Wyatt of PB'N' Jellies.  6 months later, I just received my shipment from PB'N' Jellies to try again. 

I'm now hatching live brine daily and I will supplement with Golden Pearls, Frozen Copepods and/or R.O.E. once I locate some. I'll start enriching my nauplii soon.  

Last time I overestimated the ability of the live rock and sand to break down the excess food so I'll be more diligent in water changes, testing and I've also added a mechanical filter to my sump.

The water now flows onto a filter pad, then through a compartment of bio bale, then the next compartment of live rock and sand with a refugium growing macro algae. I opted not to put any activated carbon as Wyatt said the dust might harm the jellyfish. i also added a bubbler (airstone and pump) on Wyatt's recommendation. 

Lastly, I had a lot of problems before with the jellyfish getting stuck on the spray bar and the grill where the water flows into the sump. I've made some DIY adjustments to that making the grill smaller and covering the spray bar with black plastic. So far it seems to be working like a charm but time will tell. 

Here's my new sump:

Wish me luck on all these new changes. I'm not sure I can keep doing these $200 tests every time I order new jellyfish. 

Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 2:37pm
Good luck, I hope it works out.

peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 10:17am
My jellyfish woes continue but not in the way I expected. In fact, everything was going great this time around. Jellies were getting much bigger in just the few weeks I had them. I finally got the flow figured out to where they weren't sticking on the return. I just bought new LED light strips. This morning I was adjusting some things and the LED cord came out and fell in the tank. 

Jellies are not moving. I am still praying for a small miracle that suddenly I'll come home and they will be pulsing again. 

I don't know when I'll have the funds again to order more. At least this time I'm more confident of everything working but i just spent all my funds on equipment, fish, food and coral. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 10:40am
Bummer
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 4:53pm
Oh man, that is horrible. I hope they recover.

peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 10:06pm
Wow. Has it really been that long? I think my last attempt was some time after June when I ordered 5 smalls and boy were they small. Way too small for the way my outflow was set up. They didn't even last 2 weeks. I took a long break and diverted my attention to dart frogs and my reef tank. I've been running an empty jellyfish tank for over 6 months now. I didn't want to kill the filtration and I always thought I'd give it another chance but it's taken this long to try it again. Now that I have 6 dart frog vivariums, 11 frogs and tadpoles on the way, I've maxed out my available space for any more frog stuff so I decided to turn my attention back to jellyfish. 

Well, tomorrow will be the 4th and final attempt. I made some major improvements to the tank. This time there is no way the jellies will get stuck. They may die from other reasons but they're not getting stuck in the outflow this time. Anyway, the jellies should arrive in the morning so hopefully I have some good news to report in a few weeks. Also, Wyatt from PBnJellies is carrying a dry food for jellyfish now that he says works great so there will be slightly less feeding maintenance as well. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 2:58pm
That is great news Jared. I hope it goes well.

peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 3:32pm
So far so good. I got the jelllies in around 11 am and the flow is pretty much perfect now. And they are much bigger than I've ever had. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 8:59pm
It's been a few weeks now and I have to say, this time the Jellies are doing awesome. Mike S. and Bob were at my place yesterday to take some pictures so you may see some in a while. So far they are getting bigger, the flow is perfect and even the one that got damaged in the first day has completely healed. Even the tiny jelly about the size of a nickel we call squishy is doing just fine. I think it came by mistake. It was so small, they probably didn't even realize they scooped it up with the others. 

I feed about twice a day. Dry stuff (Golden Pearls, Cubic Jellyfish food) in the morning and freshly hatched brine in the evening. I hatch the brine every other day. Half of it I use right away and the other half I store in the fridge for the next evening. I also siphon the uneaten food about every other day. So far so good. I only have 3.1 jellies. (the .1 is squishy). I'd like to add at least 3 more when I get the funds back up in my paypal account. 

I run the temp about 76 but I could run at 78 if I wanted to. Everything else runs just like my reef tank. Same salinity and generally the same parameters. 

I'll post some pics and/or video here in a minute. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 9:18pm
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 9:45pm
Sa-weet!!!!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 5:56am
Looks awesome.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 8:16am
That's pretty neat. Can we see a full tank shot?
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 8:30am
I'll post some tonight. In the meantime, here's a kinda decent shot I got with my iPhone of it feeding. 

Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 12:44pm
Definitely one of the coolest tanks I've seen!

superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 2:08pm
Totally cool
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 10:32pm
It's been a while since I gave an update. My old batch of jellies fizzled out after about 8 or 9 months. I did some more tweaking to the system and installed a nitrogen sulfur reactor. I ordered 7 medium jellyfish that came in around 2.5" in diameter. They arrived in mid-January. It's now End of March and they are about 7-8" in diameter. They are larger now than I've ever had them. 

here are some pics I took tonight. 

Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2016 at 12:21am
Love this, it's seriously so cool
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2016 at 7:48am
That is a huge amount of growth! I wish I had the patience for something like that tank.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic