Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

60 cube build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 9:21pm
Looks awesome
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 4:40pm
Well, the tank is finally up!! Huge thanks to Ryan and the crew at Aquatic Dreams that helped (I like to think I did more than just get in the way, but truthfully they did pretty much everything, and I couldn't be happier with it) get the tank set up! Final set up is a 60 cube display tank, 90 gallon refugium and a 75 gallon sump.   Anyway on to the pics:

first pic is making the holes in the wall.   The two boxes used to house speaker and phone lines.

flex pipe coming up through:

Down through the floor into the basement. Had to work around a cold air return.   Luckily my cousin does HVAC so he can come and fix what I tore apart.

Plumbing the herbie drain:

Before rock:

Rock structure (I'll take credit for this. It was my job while they did the hard work!). Rock is mostly Real Reef Rock, which has a great purple color.   Real Reef

Sump (75 gal with a huge skimmer!)

Pan world pump running the whole system and a shot of the 90 gallon fuge

I still need a light. Will probably go with a radion and figure out my final plan for hanging the light.   But at least the cycle is going!!
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 12:59pm
Awesome build! I love cubes! What kind of corals will you add?

Edited by Trevor40 - May 18 2014 at 1:00pm
Call or Text (801)834-3119
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 1:03pm
Thanks. I want a mixed reef. As far as SPS, I will probably only do stags.   Zoas, acans, euphillia and I have been thinking maybe an elegance.   Don't have a lot of specifics picked out yet, other than the stags/green slimer.   
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 12:57am
While I can't tell for sure what type of skimmer you are using, I do believe it will operate much more efficiently in about 8-9" of water. Simply place some type of container or other water suitable structure underneath to raise your skimmer out of the water or figure a way to lower the water level in the sump.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 10:02am
Thanks for the heads up.   I have lowered the sump level
Since this shot was taken on setup day.   
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 10:36pm
haven't done a water test, but I am getting a good diatom bloom in the refugium. Added some lights and chaeto. Also added a sink to the fish basement, next step is ro/di, mixing station and an ato. Still need to add more sand to the fuge as well.   no diatoms in the dt, could be because there is no light on it.   Not sure, but its still early in the game.
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 9:33pm
Picked up a couple things for the tank today.   A 100 gpd vertex puratek ro/di and a hydrofill ato. Hopefully it will be installed by the end of the weekend.

pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 8:48pm
A lot has been happening to the tank lately.   Added about 5 gallons of rubble to the fuge and I am getting ton of pods, which will be great to feed the tank.

Also, I tried to organize my plugs and add a work bench to the sump. Still needs a little tweaking, but so far I'm happy with it. Also tore down my 20 long that was withering away and added the fish and coral to the sump for now. I want to add some shy fish in the display first, and give my fuge more time to mature, so the sump was the best option for them.

Picked this up last week, and finally got it installed tonight. It's maybe a little quirkier than I anticipated, but it's unique and matches the style of the stand! Really glad to finally have it up though. Still playing with settings, but right now it's running the natural
Schedule or whatever they call that one based on the reef and it's about 50% full power.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 3:38pm
That light hanger is freaking awesome! My son would love it!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

That light hanger is freaking awesome! My son would love it!

Thanks!

Well, the tank seems pretty stable. I had to switch the sensors out on my hydrofill as they weren't recognizing low water levels. Innovative Marine had pretty stellar customer service.

I am getting a little itchy to get some stuff put in the tank. I have a frag of sunny d palys that I have nursed along in a subpar tank for the past year.   They lost a good bit of color and are mostly brown at this point. Hoping the radion will bring them out of it.    I put together my tentative coral list (I have no illusions that this list is final or that I will actually end up with it all, but it was a good place to start). But here goes, and if I have it out there for all to see, maybe it will make it easier on me to follow through!

SPS:
Pink lemonade
Red planet
Strawberry shortcake
Crybaby jake milli
Green slimer
Blue stag
Oregon blue tort

Zoas:
Fruit loops
Rastas
Blue hornets
Blue macaws
Blondies
La lakers

Orange ricordia
Bright flower nem w/sexy shrimp

Blue/green/bright rainbow acans

Torch (either bright green or gold)
Frogspawn

These are the maybes. I like the look and would love to have them, just don't know if this is the tank for them:
Elegance?
Bubbletip (sunburst, lemon drop, rainbow...one of those would make the decision easier!)?

Hopefully I can start checking things off the list soon
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 7:11pm
Huge thank you to Ryan at Aquatic Dreams for bringing in my dream fish-Red Saddled Anthias.   These guys are one of the biggest reasons I made a 90 gal fuge. Hoping the tank produces enough food to help them along.   Put these guys in last night and today they are pecking at LRS reef frenzy. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is a good sign!!

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 7:14pm
They are beautiful PJ!

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 11:47pm
Beautiful!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 1:29pm
^thank you
Lost one fish, but the other five are eating very well. They love reef frenzy!

pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 2:34pm
Sometimes it seems like for every good thing that happens in this hobby, something equally as bad happens at the same time! After I took those pics earlier, I went down to my fish room to do a water change and found my frostbite clown floating belly up. Ugh. So frustrating. My only thought was that we had a power outage for a couple hours in the middle of the night (according to my clocks and the news, I was unaware of it until I woke up) and something happened to her then.
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 10:36pm
That sump looks a little familiar haha, sad news on the frostbite though :(
Creating my own ocean
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by tink tink wrote:

That sump looks a little familiar haha, sad news on the frostbite though :(

Great sump, I love it! Thanks, now I need to find a new one once the tank settles down a bit.
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 1:51am
It was under my 120 for a while. I'd give you one of mine but I don't think I could part with them. I'm sure we could order you another though when your tank is ready.
Creating my own ocean
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 3:44pm
Sweet! 

J
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic