Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

220 mixed reef build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
pitboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 220 mixed reef build
    Posted: December 27 2013 at 7:43pm
Ok after setting up 3 other smaller tanks I've decided to do a reef build on here. So I recently picked me up a used 220 with dual corner over flows.It on a custom all steel stand very very sturdy.I have also picked me up a couple of other things for Christmas to myself. First thing I did was I had a custom sump built.It set up with four chambers first is the inlets with two one inch bulkheads through the top with a splash guard spilling into two 7 inch filter socks.Then it has a skimmer area.Next it has a refugium Then it has bubble trap and a return chamber.The sump is 48 long by 18 wide by 18 tall.

Edited by pitboss - December 27 2013 at 7:45pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 9:35pm
It sounds like it is going to be a great build!

pitboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 5:01pm
I picked up a couple more things this weekend . First all starting with two buckets of aquavitro salinity salt mix . Second I picked up a new reef angel plus controller that I can't wait to get up and running.I also picked up some more live rock to go with the dry rock I already bought might need some more but a good start for now so I can start playing around with the aquascaping. I also have a vertex calcium reactor that I will be running on this as well.

Edited by pitboss - December 31 2013 at 5:03pm
pitboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 7:08pm
I thought I would throw up a couple pics of my 60 cube
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 7:59pm
Looks Sweet. Like the rock work and of course my all time favorite tube Anenome.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
pitboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 10:37am
I picked up a couple more things last night for the tank. First I picked up a jbj 1000 watt heater with digital controller. Then I picked up a reef octopus 5500 dc pump witch will be one of The two pumps I'm going to be running one for each overflow.

Edited by pitboss - February 04 2014 at 8:58pm
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 10:59am
Looks like it will be an awesome setup!! =)

the only thing that concerns me is maybe how high those teeth are in the sump before the return pump chamber... if its a 220 and you lose the top 3 inches of water when power goes out that should be near 25 gallons that will come back into the sump... unless there is slits in that panel that I don't see?
pitboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 8:10am
I measured the top of the tank to where the overflow slots end and it is only one and a half inches which puts it at 72 feet by 24 deep by one in half inches which = 11 gallons plus what in the over flow. Then I measured the sump to the bubble trap plate which is 39 inch by 18 by 4 inches from the slats to the top of the sump which = 12 gallons witch is going to be really close.I hope that I'm not missing any thing if you see something I'm missing please let me know.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 9:59am
The other thing to consider is the return lines usually back siphon a bit even when they have a safety hole, and check valves usually get enough junk on them that they leak a little as well over time.

Also most skimmers usually run optimally at 8-11inches of water which you could put the skimmer on a stand but your tank stand will have to be really tall to handle that because most skimmers for a 220 are usually around 20-24 tall ... Hopefully I'm just over thinking it, I just want it to work out great for you..

Edited by Nick801 - February 02 2014 at 10:47am
pitboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 9:07pm
So I got all the plumbing done about 2 weeks ago and got the tank all filled up.put all the salt and rock in and got the tank cycling. I put a bottle of Weiss bacteria booster in the tank and let it do it thing a week later I tested it for ammonia and nitrate and the tank was all good.I did a 10% water change on Thursday checked again tank was still good so I put three green chromis in the tank. I also put 10 hermit crabs and 10 turbo snails in the tank. So fare so good if everything goes good I will be ramping up the cleaning crew every week in tell I get where I want it.I still have a few more thing to get for the tank in the next couple of weeks.I still need to get 2 mp 40's and I still need one more light.In the mean time all be cleaning up all the wires.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 6:32am
That is looking good!

pitboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 10:06am
I picked up a Couple of Jebao wp-40 wave makers yesterday and got them in the tank and these thing kick a** I couldn't believe the difference I might have to change out the pumps on my 60 as well . I've also been slowly adding some coral to the tank along with a few fish.

Edited by pitboss - April 06 2014 at 10:09am
pitboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 12:20pm
Been picking up some new corals and a couple new fish.[IMG]uploads/4090/20140519_185118.

Edited by pitboss - May 26 2014 at 12:29pm
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 2:25pm
Pretty sweet man ! All is looking great . You have some good taste in coral !Smile
pitboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 6:14pm
Yah, I know as long as I hang out with you or nick I can't go wrong.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 6:33pm
=) Looks Great!
pitboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2014 at 8:18pm
I picked up a couple more sweet corals the last couple of week's.Tank is doing good starting to get some nice growth out of some of the corals.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2014 at 8:36pm
What a cool setup! I like the rockwork and that rock anemone is sweet!

pitboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 5:15am
Thanks

Edited by pitboss - June 11 2014 at 5:15am
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 1:59pm
Looking good. Glad to see the scoly is doing well:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic