Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cone Snails Beware!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:44pm
I just found out today who the lucky person was that ended up with not one but 5 cone snails. Thing that bothered me a bit is the day after Thanksgiving I spent almost 9 hours redoing the rock work in his tank. Thank God those snails are not aggressive.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by builderofdreams builderofdreams wrote:

I just found out today who the lucky person was that ended up with not one but 5 cone snails. Thing that bothered me a bit is the day after Thanksgiving I spent almost 9 hours redoing the rock work in his tank. Thank God those snails are not aggressive.

Crazy stuff man !! Thank gOd nothing bad happened to u
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 9:29pm
Cone snails are pretty different than conch snails. Most cone snails have much more attractive patterns on them. It appears that the foot of the cone snail is much larger and wider. The eyes are shorter on the cone and the snout (mouth of the conch) appears to be the only appendage other than the eyes. There appears to be a snout and a mouth and eyes on the cone snail.

I think the stories that Adam have mentioned is when people have stepped on them in the sand without noticing. I've heard something similar but I agree with Adam on the rest of his statement. Although they may not ever harpoon you, its still a risk having them and with anything venomous, you should take precautions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic