Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

40 gallon build with 30 gallon sump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
xessive force View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 40 gallon build with 30 gallon sump
    Posted: December 28 2013 at 10:29pm
We'll after being out of the hobby for almost 2 years I am jumping back in. I just picked up a 47 gallon Acrylic DT and a 30 gallon sump. Project one was to get the tank and parts that came with the tank cleaned. Quick trip to Smiths for a bottle of vinegar, some quick soaking, and even more elbow grease the tank is sparkling. (Trying to decide if I want to polish the small scratches out of the tank or just leave them. I am sure as soon as it's filled you won't even see them). Project two was to turn the sump into a fuge. Quick trip to Home Depot for some acrylic sheets and a little silicone. After a few measurements and a couple of cuts, boom, the sump is now a three chamber refugium. I truly do hate working with silicone I seem to make an epic mess every time.

Next project is to get the plumbing updated to the way I want it and a leak test.

I will be relying mostly on fellow reef addicts for every thing that is going in the tank. I am going to try my best to go ultra slow with this tank but it is always so hard.    

I am looking for some good rock to build a interesting landscape with so if any of you have some rock for sale let me know.
Also still looking for an affordable lighting system. Tank is 36 inches across.   

Edited by xessive force - December 28 2013 at 10:47pm
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that's why they call it the present.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 10:36pm
Welcome back, looking forward to see the progress!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 8:39pm
Holy cow I forgot how much work this can be to get everything up and going. I am ready for water now though I think, I hope

Couple of questions first for the first fill up do you guys just start with salt water, or ro, or just water from the house. I am not planning on any leaks I tried to double check everything making sure it was tight etc.

Second and the one I most need help with, the way the tank is drilled I am trying to conceive how the drain to the sump will work. I am thinking I may have to build some corner overflow boxes to get it to work right. I am going to try to post some pics so you can get an idea of what I am working with.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that's why they call it the present.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 8:50pm
Here is a shot of the tank from the front. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 9:15pm
I have done some research on building a overflow box both cutting a really large diameter PVC pipe and painting it black or bending an acrylic sheet over heat seem to be a good diy option. I think I would lean towards the PVC if indeed I do need to build the box. Has anyone tried this? Any better ideas?

Edited by xessive force - December 29 2013 at 9:16pm
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 1:45am
Looking at the tank I have a question . I see 2 pipes with screens on them half way down on the rear , what are they ? Closed loop drains with the return over the back ? 

Edited by Akira - December 30 2013 at 1:50am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 8:02am

To be perfectly honest I am not sure why they are there in the middle of the tank.  They are plummed to the main drain to the sump.  I am pretty sure I will be building boxes around them to skim the water and have it fall into the newly created chamber and drain from that chamber through the drains you see.

Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 8:27am
Looks like you'll drain half the tank when you shut off the return. You might try a 90 degree elbow out of the bulkhead pointed to the top of the tank, then a pipe up to where you want the water to actually drain from, with the second drain set up the same way, but just a bit higher than the other you have a Herbie.

Fat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 11:18am
couple of updates of rock work (before I polished the tank) and of murky cloud soup, I am hoping to see a tank full of clear water when I get home from work today.   I am still looking for an affordable 36 inch lighting solution for this tank.  If anyone has one avalible let me know.   Next project is building a canopy. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 11:24am
I so wish my tank was ready for Coral so I could get some from the Frag Fest tonight.  Have to admit I am kinda jellous of the deals that are going to be there tonight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 11:09pm
So my tank still looks like a light colored miso soup. I was really hoping it would mostly cleared up by now but I guess the waiting game continues.

I am running my return pump, my in tank pumps and my skimmer. Wondering if I should shut everything down and wait for it settle? Or just keep doing what I'm doing and be patient?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 5:36am
It should be settled by today. I don't know if you are running a filter sock but I usually do and maybe it helps filter the finer particles out of the water.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 8:55pm
Starting to come along here are a couple of pictures of the rock work with the lights on. 

Another angle of the rock work

Here is a pic of the set up sump ( thanks for the cheato Dmower)

The canopy that I built is out in the garage with the paint drying.  I will post some full tank shots once I get the canopy finished and up on the tank. 

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Fatman Fatman wrote:

Looks like you'll drain half the tank when you shut off the return. You might try a 90 degree elbow out of the bulkhead pointed to the top of the tank, then a pipe up to where you want the water to actually drain from, with the second drain set up the same way, but just a bit higher than the other you have a Herbie.

Fat

Do this!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 4:39pm
I did fix the overflows by attaching and elbow joint and raising the drain level with a Herbie method.  Seems to be working great.

I have had water in my tank with the rock and live sand.  I seeded with live rock and have recently added Cheato from an established tank.  I tested my water today and there are no or very minimal nitrates or nitrites ... is the cycle done???  My guess is it still really has not started but it seems wierd to me that it has not started yet.. What are your thoughts ?
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 3:35pm
What do you have in there to start the cycle? I don't see any fish. You need a source of ammonia to start the cycle. If you don't want to put in a hardy fish or two, try throwing in some frozen krill or shrimp - something that will start to decompose and give the bacteria something to eat and colonize.
90G Mixed Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2014 at 9:00pm

jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2014 at 9:08pm
Love the rockwork looks killer!
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2014 at 10:07pm
Looks good, are you done with your cycle? how long did it take for your tank to cycle? I just started mine.
75g Just starting out, Stand and canopy From Richins carpentry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 8:00am
Edited

Edited by xessive force - January 28 2014 at 7:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic