Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

40 gallon build with 30 gallon sump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
xessive force View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 8:06am
I believe that I am done with my cycle.  I put the dottyback in over the weekend so I am sure there will be another mini cycle but for the most part I believe its done.  All the tank chems are in line.  No amonia and almost no nitrates or nitrites.  The diatom bloom has come and gone.  I would say it was two week for the first major cycle and then I have seen bumps adding the clowns three weeks ago the chromis last week and the dotty back last Saturday. 

To start the cycle I used live sand, and seeded with live rock both in the sump and a couple of pieces in the display tank.  I also was gifted a huge chunk of macro algee from a fellow Utah Reefer that I think helped a lot with the process.   
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that's why they call it the present.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 11:57am
update youtube link to be non private
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that's why they call it the present.
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 4:14pm
Tank video looks great. YouTube comments... not so much. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 7:35pm
Yeah I work with a guy with who finds himself quite the inappropriate comedian.

Edited by xessive force - February 22 2014 at 7:09pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 7:48pm
Thanks to a couple frags from Ann the tank has some new color.

I do have a question for you guys though why does my hammer look like this 

It has not extended since it went into the tank.  I have tried it in a few different positions but it seems to only come out this far.  My tank params seem to be right on the money.  I tested today and from what I can tell with my kits (api) my calcium is at 480 to 500 ppm.  my nitrates and nitrites are close to 0.  my alk is at 8.  my phosphates are close to 0.  

What else can I do?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 8:00pm
one more shot that did not upload with the first batch.

My cell phone does not take the best pictures of course but this frag is a really great Orange color with green mouths. 
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 8:23pm
Is the flow in that area too much for the hammer?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 10:47pm
There is a decent amount of flow but nothing too heavy and no direct flow from a power head.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 5:42am
If it is not flow then I would look closely at ammonia/nitrate/nitrites.

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 8:40pm
If all params are good try tucking him in a low flow  shaded area for a few days then move him out when he is used to the new system and has some decent extension . Just my O2 as it has worked for me when dealing with LPS

Edited by Akira - February 05 2014 at 8:41pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 7:32pm
The hammer does not seem to be making any progress and in fact seems to be bleaching out or something. It has not extended in more than 3 weeks. I am afraide I am going to loose it. It's a nice size piece with 4 heads. Green and purple if it recovers. The parent colony is really good looking. I am thinking of giving it away or maybe trading it for a small frag of something else if anyone wants to trade. I am going to try to get a good shot of what it looks like now. No flesh melting or anything like that just won't open and it's loosing color.
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 10:10am
I have had hammer problems wiht new tanks.  I would say find someone near you with a more established tank and let it sit in their tank for a couple of weeks and get healthy.  Give your tank a while to mature then try again.
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 12:23pm
You can bring it over and put it in my tank if you want and I'll try to save it for you or if you want a frag for it I can do that also (801)389-9187

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 7:08pm
what is this and why is it killing corals?  My rocks were dry, bright white rocks when I put them in the tank.  They got a small break out on them when the tank went through its cycle but this has been on them for over two weeks.  Kind of slimy/hairy looking covering all the rocks as some of the corals where they touch the rocks.  I had two corals that were doing well in the tank for a couple of weeks that were on plugs.  I popped the glue off the frag plugs and re-glued the frags to the rocks.  The couple of corals that I did that with died within a week.  One of them a coral that I really liked so I am pretty bummed.  The tanks params all test out fine.  The tank life is all doing great except anything that is touching the "white rock."  Anything that I put in the tank that is on rubble or frag plugs is still doing just fine.   Any help or ideas of what it is and what I need to do to address the issue?

you can see it starting to crawl up the ora and it killed one of the limbs

here you can see it clinging to the shadow side of one of the bigger rocks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 4:18pm
?
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 4:20pm
What are your parameters? Specifically nitrates, phosphates, calcium, and alkalinity.
Durff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 4:36pm
What kind of light are you running?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 6:28pm
4 bulb t5s .. Two actinic, a purple plus, and a 10k bulb. Nitrates and phosphates test out to pretty much 0 calcium is at 340 ppm. I need to test for alk.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 6:29pm
How old are the bulbs?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 6:36pm
About 4 weeks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic