Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PH trouble

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PH trouble
    Posted: January 03 2014 at 7:48am
I for some unknown reason can't manage to keep my PH up it was at 7.6 this morning I use Kent Superbuffer to get it up to 8.2 but it never stays for long maybe a day or 2!

levels

7.6 PH
.25 amm
.25 nitrite
.0 nitrate

please help this is so frustrating!!
Blub Blub
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 8:03am
Try introducing some fresh air into the room the tank is in or into the skimmer air intake tube. Our tanks tend to take a hit this time of year because we close them all up to keep the cold out and that keeps the carbondioxide in which will drop PH in an aquarium.

Increase the surface agitation with a power head sitting lower in the tank and pointed up toward the surface. You could also look into CO2 scrubbers for your skimmer. All of those things will help.

This also appears to be a fairly new setup as you have both Amm and Nitrite readings in the tank. PH could be fluctuating due to new live rock curing or new live sand being established. We may need a few more details about the setup before we can figure out which of these issues you are dealing with but all of them will effect PH. Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 8:54am
I'll second everything Krazie said.

What type of sand do you have and approximately how deep is the sand bed? What are the rest of the parameters (calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium)?

I'd been having the same problem for the last few months and eventually narrowed the issue down to high CO2 levels inside the house. After installing a scrubber (BRS air filter with their co2 absorbent) my ph came up by 0.2 and after adding just a small amount of kalkwasser into my top off reservoir my ph is stable at 8.0-8.2 day and night.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 9:07am
I was hoping you would chime in Anne. Thanks! I knew you had been battling this same thing but didn't want to throw you in the middle.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 10:05am
Originally posted by -TYR- -TYR- wrote:

I for some unknown reason can't manage to keep my PH up it was at 7.6 this morning I use Kent Superbuffer to get it up to 8.2 but it never stays for long maybe a day or 2!

levels

7.6 PH
.25 amm
.25 nitrite
.0 nitrate

please help this is so frustrating!!

First is was very nice talking to you last night.  

From what you have told me about your tank.  There are a few things that I would do.  First crack a window if you can.  My tank will go from a summer ph of 8.3 day and 8.1 night to winter 8.1 day to 7.9 at night.   If it is not too cold I will crack the window and with in  a couple hours it will be right back to normal levels.    With your cube you can try an air stone and fresh water air pump just place the stone in your overflow.   The air stone did help my tank but not as much at the window did.  

I think last night you did say that you power head was closer to the top of the tank.  If you can you should try to get it as low in the tank as you can then aim it up. 
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 10:24am
a simple cheap solution I found is this.  If you go to BRS they want I think it was 48 dollars for 9 pounds of pellitized lime.  It is "medical grade" yada, yada, yada.  What that means is the pellet size is more uniform so it packs cleaner and easier.   Then you have to buy their air filter.  So for 60 or 80 bucks you can do their answer to remove the CO2 from the air going into your skimmer and raise your pH.

Couple of points, the pellitized lime does not touch your water, doesn't go near the aquairum.  All it is for is the air intake to the skimmer be run through it and it will remove CO2.  So you don't really need their fancy expensive pellitized lime.   BTW -- what is pellitized lime used for?  It is nothing more than time released fertilizer for your garden.  So look at Home Depot, I bought a bag of pellitized lime there for a whopping $4. Green and White bag that says "Organic Garden Lime" on it.

Next thing I did is go to DI and find me the longest narrowest plastic drink bottle with lid, 50 cents.  drilled the straw area and glued a piece of clear tubing in it that fit over the air intake of my skimmer.

So for about $10 total, I have my air CO2 scrubber running.  My tank is in a basement, so my pH was really low about like yours.  Once I put this simple cheap fix my pH hovers around 8.0, usually 8.1 in the morning and like 7.9 in the evening. 

Hope this helps.
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 10:26am
oh, i just reread that and i missed one major point. 

On the bottom of the bottle, I put as many holes in the bottom with the smallest drill bit I had, as I could you want lots of spread out holes so you get a spread out more laminar flow of the air.  The more contact it gets with the lime the better.

Stand by Dion
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 12:49pm
The DIY co2 scrubbers are great and I'm probably going to refill my air filter with cheap soda line from a local dive shop or garden center. The soda line is used in rebreather a for deep or long bottom time dives. Anyways, the BRS stuff works well but it's already half exhausted in the cartridge. I did have a full 9lb jug of the stuff though so I have quite a few refills as this is the first cartridge's worth.

I went with the BRS air filter because it is well built, easy to refill, and mounts cleanly in my stand. If you don't mind a DIY scrubber and bracket, that would work great as well.

Oh and are you running a calcium reactor or have some co2 source attached to your tank?

Edited by Ann_A - January 03 2014 at 12:49pm
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 1:31pm
nope, no reactor, no CO2 at all.  Just massive amounts of breathing in our house filling my basement with CO2.
Stand by Dion
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 10:14am
I didn't read all the posts above, but I can tell you that the most common reason for a low pH problem is the following:
1. A closed top on the tank keeps fresh air out, thus concentrating the CO2 in the water. (pH is a reading of the ratio of CO2 in the water). Answer: remove the top, or raise it a few inches, or run a fan to push in fresh air. (The traditional glass covers for tanks should never be used on a reef aquarium.)
2. Poor gas exchange because of stagnant surface water. Answer: Reposition water streams so they hit the surface making a rippling or slight agitation. Placing a powerhead near the bottom pointing up is the most effective use of powerhead for circulation and gas exchange.
3. Low Alk allows low pH. If items 1 and 2 above are done, then when Alk is around 10 dKH, pH typically is above 8.1

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit anytime

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 04 2014 at 10:16am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 12:23pm
Mark,

Even if you do ALL of that, if your tank is in a basement, and your house is sealed really well, then the CO2 levels in the house WILL be higher, especially in winter when no one opens windows.  This higher CO2 is pulled into the water by the air intake of the skimmer.  If you don't have a lid on your tank (which I don't on my 300, it is a eurobrace) and you have plenty of surface turbulence ( I have 4 returns breaking the surface PLUS a wp60 blasting the surface) you can STILL have too much CO2. 

The solubility of CO2 is high, and once it is dissolved in the water, turbulance alone won't remove massive amounts, some yes.  If you look at the solubility factors of CO2 in water on a solubility diagram, 77 degrees is about 25 degrees C, which means that the solubility of the CO2 in water at that temp is about 1.5 grams of CO2 per kg of water, which doesn't sound like a lot, but enough to really mess up pH.  you can increase the temp of the water to cause CO2 to be released, but not an option for our tanks.

If all of this is true, then the only way to fix this is to do something to either remove it from the water or prevent it from being dissolved.  So you can either dump more chemicals, OR you can go the more natural way and prevent it from ever being introduced to your tank.  Which is what removing the CO2 from the air going to your skimmer comes in.  That is the single biggest source of CO2 entering into the water.  You have severe turbulence and the air being broken down into little bubbles, which increases the contact time and contact surface between the air and the water, and the solubility of both the O2 and the CO2.  

After looking at what 100s of other people have done and proved, looking at the calculations for CO2 absorption,  and looking at what happened on my tank with PLENTY of alk, I think anyone running a skimmer should look at spending a simple < $10 and rigging up a CO2 scrubber.  Only cost effective NON chemical way to treat your water. 

Anyone who wants one can google "DIY aquarium CO2 scrubber"  and see multiple examples.

Stand by Dion
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 12:35pm
I agree that the scrubber is a great addition to any system.

I'd also add that a small check valve between the skimmer and the scrubber is important to prevent back siphoning. My skimmer is above my scrubber and it started back siphoning when I shut off the skimmer. Luckily I saw it start the siphon and turned the skimmer back on before the water reached the skimmer but it could have caused a problem. Soda lime is about 75% calcium hydroxide (20% water, 5% other trace elements) and if that were to get dissolved and sucked into the skimmer it could cause the ph to spike.
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 12:42pm
you should always run LOTS of tubing, and run the tubing up and hang it at the top of your stand then down to the skimmer.  if you don't have at least a foot of clear tubing space set up, then you should fix it ASAP!!!!  the last thing you want is water to go into the lime.  I don't think a check valve is a good thing, it is nothing more than additional pressure and flow restriction.  a simple pipe hanger to the top of your stand is the cleanest, safest way without additional costs and something to clog up and not work.
Stand by Dion
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by bmac2 bmac2 wrote:

Mark,

Even if you do ALL of that...

He didn't read all the posts....

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I didn't read all the posts above...
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by bmac2 bmac2 wrote:

you should always run LOTS of tubing, and run the tubing up and hang it at the top of your stand then down to the skimmer.  if you don't have at least a foot of clear tubing space set up, then you should fix it ASAP!!!!  the last thing you want is water to go into the lime.  I don't think a check valve is a good thing, it is nothing more than additional pressure and flow restriction.  a simple pipe hanger to the top of your stand is the cleanest, safest way without additional costs and something to clog up and not work.

I have about 5ft of tubing between the scrubber and skimmer and another 5ft from the scrubber back up where the line is held in place higher than the water level in my sump. The problem is that my tank has the sump in the back and I don't have any place to hang the scrubber above the skimmer without it looking bad.
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 7:55am
Just wondering, Does the tubing on the skimmer intake effect the air volume/intake at all?
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 8:22am
I think that depends on the size of your skimmer. I added a scrubber to mine as well. My skimmer has surgical tubing (silicone type) running down to the venturi so I bought more of that and made sure that what I used was at least the same size as what the skimmer already had.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 8:49am
Okay, I went back and read all the posts. Smile

From the standpoint of helping this new hobbyist, -TYR-/Lasse Larsen, I'm concerned that the discussion went pretty quickly away from asking more questions and then considering the simpler and more basic fixes.
I mean no disrespect. Hug
Maybe those that spoke with Lasse at the meeting already discovered this information. Unfortunately, it wasn't mentioned here so please don't get upset with me.

From what has been written here, we still don't know whether this tank has an enclosed top or had glass over the water Question
The pH was stated as being 7.6 in the morning. That is the time of day when pH is going to be lower. Where was pH in the afternoon/evening Question
Has the powerhead been repositioned for better gas exchange and how has that helped Question
Is there any Macroalgae in this tank to provide help with pH and filtration Question
What are the Alkalinity and Calcium levels Question

It's been 4 days since the OP. Is the tank okay now? How old is this tank anyway? Is there coral and how does it look? Many tanks operate at a lower pH and do okay. Maybe not great but okay.
May we have an update? Mahalo.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit anytime

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 07 2014 at 8:54am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 8:57am
about the tubing effect.  Tubing doesn't effect the air flow enough to change anything, not in only 2 or 3 foot of tubing, as long as it is the same size as what is on there. 
Stand by Dion
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 9:47am
It is enclosed, the PH has gotten better since I've left the lid up but not great, I don't have any macro but would like some, The powerhead is built in so I cant really move it too much but I have angled it up more to get better gas exchange, and finally I have a Red Sea test kit for alk and cal but am lost on how to use it correctly and not even the youtube videos seem to make it easier for me.

Thank you all for the suggestions and help but I wont lie to me a lot of it sounded really complicated especially the scrubber I have no idea how I would incorporate that into an all in one system! but I was looking into it!
Blub Blub
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic