Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fragging Softies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fragging Softies
    Posted: January 03 2014 at 5:27pm
Hey All
Its been a while since Ive been around the forum. Ive got some softies I need to seriously cut back or the fish are not going to have room to swim. :-)
Ive got one huge Neon Green Nephthya and another similar pinkish green one. On the green I need to cut back 2 huge stalks that have several stocks on each like 10 inch. Then on the other I have like 4 or 5 10+inch stalks. All the stalks on the these are 1.5 to 3 inch at the base. Can I cut these back with out killing them. I dont think cutting little one inch branches off this is going to do me any good. So I need to cut show size pieces off. Is that possible? Any advice or anyone that want to help that would be greatly appreciated.

grassfairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grassfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 5:31pm
You can easily cut them up with a sharp razor blade or scissors. They will be upset for a little while but they will live. To attach them to a rock just use a neddle and thread, give them a couple days and they will attach.
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 5:49pm
So Im ok cutting off huge stalks?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grassfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 5:52pm
Yes
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 6:20pm
Yes and if you plan to sell them please PM me I would love some:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 6:55pm
Well I would like to sell them but they are pretty Large. Jackie youd have to cut them down pretty small to fit in your killer zeroedge tank :-)
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 7:41pm
Haha my zero edge is no longer. I am setting up a 38g nuvo so if you have a stalk of the green let me know how much
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 7:42pm
Id probably be interested in a stalk of the other one too i am doing mostly softies
Jackie Stuver

Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 7:54pm
Ill  get a vid up to show you guys what I need to trip
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 9:45pm
They really are super easy. I always just used scissors but a razor blade works great too as Carlos said. If you need I could come show you and get some from you while there.
Jackie Stuver

bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 12:57pm
I would be interested in a couple of pieces of both of them myself.  I just looked them up and they look cool, and I bet they move in the current.  My wife likes the things that are bright and add motion to the tank.
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 7:40pm
Ok heres a litte video. Take a look and tell me what you think. I have no idea what I should charge etc.  The 2nd coral you cant see the blue in the stalks didnt show up on the vid.
http://youtu.be/usso3zdixhs
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 8:04pm
Sending you a PM
Jackie Stuver

beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 8:37pm
Pm sent
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grassfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 8:38pm
Cut them at the base, they will grow back

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grassfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 8:39pm
Razor blade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grassfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 8:41pm
I can come show you how if you'd like
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 8:42pm
get a razor blade. one of the ones like you buy at home depot or lowes, so it has the metal on one side to hold.  And just slice them where you want.  They will grow back.  you are NOT going to hurt them by trimming them.

Those are definitely the green Kenya Tree I thought you were talking about.   would definitely like to get a couple of pieces of it.  Looks like you are going to have a TON of it.
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grassfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 8:56pm
Finger leathers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grassfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 9:01pm
Also called sinularia or probably nepthea.
Hope I spelled them correctly. Google search to better give yourself and idea on price if you are going to sell them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic