Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on Caulerpa Racemosa macro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on Caulerpa Racemosa macro
    Posted: January 09 2014 at 6:17pm
Read good and bad stuff about this macro. Anyone here use it and what are your thoughts. Thanks.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 9:12pm
Caulerpa Racemosa or Grape Caulerpa has grown in more of my tanks than I can remember. As a matter of fact, it is the fastest growing Caulerpa in my current system. I love it for it's ability to quickly eat up N pollution, but it can get out of hand and cover the substrate very quickly. That Characteristic makes it a good companion algae with Chaetomorpha in a Refugium. Is that what you are thinking of using it for?

There are several varieties of what we commonly call Grape Caulerpa. This is what mine looks like. If you want some, come get it.

There are other Caulerpa called Grape that are not nearly as tough and virulent as this one.

The only real bad characteristic is one that all Caulerpa have in common. If nutrient levels fall too low, Caulerpa tends to dissolve away in an attempt to send its gametes(seeds) to a better place in the ocean. Hobbyists need to know what they should do to prevent the bad. Harvest often and watch out that the Chaeto does not suck all the nutrients/pollution out of the water before the Caulerpa can get it. To deal with this tendency to dissolve, that some people like to call "going sexual", my "tip of the day" is to place the Caulerpa upstream from the Chaetomorpha.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit anytime

P.S. This is Blade Caulerpa or Caulerpa Prolifera. It is my favorite right now. I also have plenty to share. Come and get it.

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 09 2014 at 9:17pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 10:25pm
Love it!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 11:10pm
I do have some now in my refugium. I have an AIO system so if it does go sexual it will quickly get in the main display. Thinking about pulling it out.
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 11:32pm
I hate that crap with a passion. somehow it got into my display from my sump and it stuck to everything like bubble algea. I didnt pay much attention at first till it just kept growing lol. was a pain in the butt. In the sump didnt mind it. But it would stick to rock everything it seemed.
I peeled it off and some flew into my powerhead and made it even more of a pain in the a$#
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 5:36pm
In displays with Tangs or Rabbitfish, Caulerpa doesn't have a chance.

Chaetomorpha is superior as a Refugium Algae.

I have plenty. Come and get it. Smile
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 7:50pm
I would deff like some chaeto. Could you pm me you address peer.
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 10:36pm
no one should EVER have to stress over macro algea in their display.   A single sprig of macro has about zero chance of living in my tank.  Our 5 tangs and 2 Rabbitfish would eat it faster than it could blow in.   All you need to control ANY macro algea is a group of tangs!!!!
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 3:36am
I have some grape in my display that can get to be a pain in my butt just wish my Kole would make a meal of it for me. Maybe I should get another tang as I never had an issue when I had several just didn't want the risk of ich all over again . Any cool tangs for a 75g that are a bit hearty. 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 8:11am
Aloha,
I believe I left my contact info above, but here it is again along with my address. The tank lights are on from around 9-9. Visitors are welcome during that time. It's best to call ahead.
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text anytime
750 E Lakepoint Dr #4V
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 1:11pm
when you have smaller tank kinda of hard to have tangs imo.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 8:23pm
Yes that's true, but I find it easy to harvest Macroalgae in smaller tanks. In my experience Blade Caulerpa is not a fast grower so it works better in a Tang-less display. The 12 gal below is a good example. To slow the growth even more, use PO4 removal media.
I have put 3" Tangs in tanks as small as 30 gal with no problem. Of course I let the Caulerpa get kinda thick before the Tang goes in. Smile

JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Cody Cody wrote:

Read good and bad stuff about this macro. Anyone here use it and what are your thoughts. Thanks.

Fastest growing stuff in my refugium too. I literally throw a 1g bucket away on a regular basis. 
(If no one speaks up and wants it when I remember to post :)

@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Cody Cody wrote:

I do have some now in my refugium. I have an AIO system so if it does go sexual it will quickly get in the main display. Thinking about pulling it out.

I've never had mine go sexual (that I've noticed) but I also run my fuge light 24/7
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic