Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sick yellow tang

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sick yellow tang
    Posted: January 11 2014 at 5:36pm
My yellow tang hasn't eaten in a couple days and his color has gotten really dull. he just swims around the tank and can't be enticed to eat food or algae clip. Ive started garlic dosing to see if that improves anything but it hasnt seemed to help.Any suggestions? Notice his coloring is faded around his fins badly.
-Zach-
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 6:51pm
How long has it been in this tank? Was it eating before?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 6:56pm
I've had it for 3 years. It was eating up until Thursday and now shows no interest in eating and almost seems lethargic just swims in the same spot.
-Zach-
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 7:26pm
Sounds like it may simply be growing old and ready to pass on.
Can it be caught and moved a Hospital Tank to medicate for parasites or disease?
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 7:36pm
I could probably catch it. But I don't have another tank or anything. To bad if it is ready to go its one of the originals of my tank. Do tangs have a short life span in tanks?
-Zach-
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 7:38pm
Yellow tangs can present neuromast destruction (hlle) sarting with a loss of pigment like that. Has he started losing any tissue? Are you running carbon? What are you feeding? Have you changed anything recently? What are your parameters?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 7:52pm
No tissue loss, I feed a mix of mysis, formula 2 flake, and the frozen mixture for herbivores. Yes I have been running carbon recently, the last change was a water change over a week ago do to rising nitrate levels.

Parameters

Phosphate .50

Nitrates 10

Alkalinity 8° or 143ppm

Calcium 500-520 ppm

-Zach-
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 8:07pm
Just re tested and calcium has come down to about 450 rest are about the same

PH is at 8 also

-Zach-
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 8:34pm
I assume zero ammonia and nitrite?

I would remove the carbon asap as there is some correlation with activated carbon and neuromast destruction. I woud also start feeding a constant supply of red, green, and brown dried algaes...even better would be some fresh ulva and gracilaria. If you do all that and the fish still does not respond to the food after a few days, then something else is likely going on.

That being said, all this may be as simple a the fish just being stressed due to high nutrients in the tank. How often and much are your water changes? Are you using ro/di water? Do you skim? Do you use GFO? Are you running a sump with macroalgae?
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 8:49pm
Water change every other week 20 gallons. Yes I use di water. And yes I skim and also have a carbon reactor in my sump. My sump has chaeto,live rock, and crushed coral.
-Zach-
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 8:51pm
I have had dried seaweed and algae from clips for it tonight
-Zach-
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 3:30am
20 gallons ? How big is your tank and what type of salt ? If it was me I would stop with the carbon if it was recently changed and even it wasn't . Also what is causing the high levels of Nitrates as they follow ammon and nitrites? Try feeding live algae throughout the day not just at night to give him a chance to graze if it is up to feeding. Have recently started dosing anything? Hope a few questions help to shed some light on what has changed .
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 6:48am
Judging by the body characteristics of the tang, it still looks relatively young. I highly doubt it is "growing old and ready to pass on." Yellow tangs reach sexual maturity around 4-7 years (depending on male or female), and the oldest living yellow tang collected was 41 years old (iucnredlist.org).

I can't think of any parasites that would cause that sort of pigmentation loss. I think it's environmental.

What other inhabitants are in the tank? Is anything picking at the fish?

www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 8:00am
There are a clown pair, yellow wrasse, black and gold chromis, green chromis, yellow goby, and a few blue damsels. I've never seen it being picked on it has been the ruler of the tank if anything. He seems to be more active this morning as I checked on it. He swimming around a lot more and I added more dried seaweed to graze on. At least now when I walk up to the tank he will swim behind the rocks yesterday he swam in the same corner all day. Akira my tank is 55 gal I usually do a 10% water change as recommended but this last one I did a 20 gallon change to do high nitrates and ammonia which I assumed was from the recent power outage I went through my tank was down for 2 days. But that was 2 weeks ago so I don't know if that caused issues. I use the instant ocean sea salt and crystals. No new dosing.
-Zach-
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 8:25am
I have the api reef master test kit that test for calcium, alk, phosphate, and nitrate. Should I have another kit to go with this to test for nitrites and ammonia? Sorry probably a dumb question still a amateur.
-Zach-
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 9:01am
Aloha Jinxy,

I believe you are doing well. You may be right that this sudden change in behavior may be due to the recent power loss and the resulting die-off of various things as evidenced by the recent rise in pollution. Before the rise in Nitrate level there was an increase of Ammonia and Nitrite. This could have bothered the Tang more than we know.

I have a suggestion and a free offer. Come get some varieties of Macroalgae from me and see how the Tang and the tank respond to the tasty natural food and the amazing pollution reducing power of algae. Macroalgae does wonderful things for a marine aquarium ecosystem.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text anytime
750 E Lakepoint Dr. #4V Murray (best to call ahead)

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 7:37pm
Just wondering how it's going.
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 7:42pm
Hey Mark the tang has come back to life with the algae you gave me in fact he chowed that whole rock down. I sent you a text on Monday did you not get it? I'd like to just buy the rock off you since it ate all the algae off of it. And again thanks for your help
-Zach-
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 7:44pm
No wonder you didn't get my text I did area code 801 not 808 I apologize for that is like to bring you some money and your container back to you this weekend sometime if your available. Feel free to send me a text 801-633-1282
-Zach-
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 10:38pm
Nice job Mark. Jinxy, glad he's better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic