Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help - Bacteria or Algae?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by willstang willstang wrote:

Yeah 30% to 80% is a big jump also need a slow tumble. I started with 20% for a week then 40% for two weeks, then 70% 3 weeks later.

I started at 30% for about 4 weeks, then jumped to 80%.  I basically just filled the entire thing up.  If I remove them and dry them out, I'm assuming they will be okay later on down the road? 
willstang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willstang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 9:32pm
Yeah just rinse them off with RO water.
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 9:34pm
I wouldn't be in a big rush to start pulling out some of the pellets. Just slow the flow down and see if that helps. The bacteria isn't going to harm anything so give it a couple of days. Put the output of the reactor as close to the skimmer intake as you can

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I wouldn't be in a big rush to start pulling out some of the pellets. Just slow the flow down and see if that helps. The bacteria isn't going to harm anything so give it a couple of days. Put the output of the reactor as close to the skimmer intake as you can

I'll try that.  I'll turn it down and put it close to the skimmer.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 9:35pm
Thanks for all the feed back guys.  I'll let you know what is going on in a week. 
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

The bacteria isn't going to harm anything so give it a couple of days.

I disagree (although I don't like any sudden reaction in a reef tank either). Bacteria can give off toxins, which need to be removed by AC and/or skimming. Additionally, some studies have shown that even beneficial bacteria can cause coral tissue loss when the populations increase.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 9:54pm
I'm going to leave the pellets how they are.  Run the output from my reactor right next to the skimmer and skim wetter.  See how that goes.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 9:57pm
And If I don't see an improvement I'll slowly decrease pellets.
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 10:42pm
To kick start the algae if there is nutrients in the water you can add some iron. Most likely the carbon is pulling it all out of the water. Kent marine essential elements or test with the red sea kits and dose their supplements.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Kent_Marine_Essential_Elements_Coral_Trace_Element_Additives_Supplements-Kent_Marine-KM3271-FIADTECS-vi.html

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 7:51am
Last night I plumbed my output of the reactor right next to the skimmer input. I am skimmimg much wetter now, I reduced the flow of the reactor and went from 80% to 60% with the required pellets. Thinking about it a little more, when I increased the pellets, I did have to turn the reactor up a bit to get them to tumble.

Edited by love2skiutah - January 14 2014 at 7:53am
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 11:20am
Sounds like a good plan, good luck.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I'd go with it's a bacteria bloom. Again...I'm not familiar with biopellets, but I'd suggest cutting back on your carbon source.
I agree. It is bacteria and reducing the carbon source will allow it to die back. Carbon is bacteria food. Dosing carbon via pellets, sugar, vinegar or vodka increases the amount of bacteria to eat pollution. Since there is relatively little bioload creating relatively little pollution in this tank, an overgrowth of bacteria is the result of the excess carbon.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I'd go with it's a bacteria bloom. Again...I'm not familiar with biopellets, but I'd suggest cutting back on your carbon source.
I agree. It is bacteria and reducing the carbon source will allow it to die back. Carbon is bacteria food. Dosing carbon via pellets, sugar, vinegar or vodka increases the amount of bacteria to eat pollution. Since there is relatively little bioload creating relatively little pollution in this tank, an overgrowth of bacteria is the result of the excess carbon.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Someone on here mentioned carbon dossing and it immediately made me remember that I basically increased the bio pellets by over a 100%.  I'm almost positive that is what happened.  I reduced 20% of them last night and will reduce another 20% in a week.  I plumbed the output of my reactor directly to my skimmer and I am skimming pretty wet right now as well.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 8:03pm
So does anyone actually know how to get rid of this stuff?  I'm doing basic water changes, reduce lighting, lighter feedings, etc.  

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 9:26pm
It'll take a while for it to starve off... I'd give it about a month.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 3:59pm
Yes it will take time.
Lighter feedings are good because it will mean less pollution to feed the bacteria.
I believe that if water changes are curtailed for a while it will help starve the bacteria. New salt water has all kinds of nutrients/food.
I believe reduced lighting will actually benefit the bacterial slime. Reduced lighting curtails algae growth. Algae is one of the major pollution eaters. Slowed algae growth makes more pollution available to grow the bacterial slime. There is logic here. It's the interplay of biological processes. So what this means is that an increased photoperiod will then grow more algae, reducing the pollution and starving the bacteria that much faster.
I don't describe things too well. I hope this is making sense?

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 20 2014 at 4:04pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 4:15pm
My only issue here is there is hardly any algae in the display tank.  It's all that "clear fur" on the rocks.  My refugium was very full and now I have about 1/4 of what I had started with, but the good news is, since I plumbed my output of the reactor to my skimmer, reduced pellets and reactor flow, the macro algae stopped dying off.  

Anyone else have an opinion on Mark's suggestions?  I'm willing to try that.  I literally just adjusted my lights this morning.  Which, by the way is a PAIN IN THE REAR if you don't have Reef Link or Fusion Beta yet like me. ha

Edited by love2skiutah - January 20 2014 at 4:15pm
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 4:31pm
It depends... If it is a photosynthetic bacteria (see if it is worse on the brightly lit rocks versus dimly light rocks...keep in mind that more detritus settles on the tops of rocks, which will also fuel it), reducing the light period will affect the algae and bacteria. If it's not, then the bacteria may increase while the algae decreases.

I would keep doing water changes since I assume you're still going to feed the tank somewhat. That means you're adding nutrients... Even if you don't do water changes, you're still removing water through skimming (which has to be replaced with saltwater anyway).
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 4:36pm
Thanks guys. I'm so annoyed at myself for even trying these pellets. I'm debating on just going back to GFO/Carbon. I'll give it another couple months and see what happens. Live and learn!
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 5:22pm
Are you not running any carbon? If not I'd run some as it may help. Biopellets are not a replacement for carbon and GFO.

Their main function is to control Nitrates. Some people have luck dosing some beneficial bacteria ( MB7, Zeobak etc) to out compete the nuisance bacteria. My bet is that it will go away on its own with what you have been doing .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic