Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nick's 300DD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 9:40am
You must have been up all night putting that together lol.
Premium aquarium filtration!
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 11:15pm
Got 95% of plumbing done today and got the tank filled!

Filling the tank up! You can also see how I did the plumbing a little better in this pic.

Ignore the rock work, this pic is just to show where the returns come in at.

The plumbings not in the way at all being that I already have a cross brace, I really like my returns near the front to aim back at the rock work.

Have my manifold mounted up high and will run  a few lines later on for a calcium reactor, possibly a carbon reactor and possibly UV. I wanted all my pipes out of the way so went high with this one.

I'm using all four holes on this tank as drains... which makes it dead silent. I went with 1 inch spa flex.

Still need to find a strainer intake for the lower pipe but the water level runs between the two drains controlled with the ball valve in the pic above and the second is just used as a backup. *I know a lot of you already know about this just explaining now so I don't have to later and to help people who haven't seen it before*

Here is my backup test =)  (Closed ball valves off completely to make sure the backups would do their job)

Got my float valve in for my top off and my $8 sump light.

On the drains the two white are the ones controlled with the ball valves all the water runs down these. I only stuck them in the water about 1 inch. The other two drains are the backups, I left them out of water on purpose because their sound will notify me that I need to adjust the ball valves ..

Edited by Nick801 - January 22 2014 at 11:29pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 5:33am
Originally posted by Elite-Aquatics Elite-Aquatics wrote:

You must have been up all night putting that together lol.

I have no doubt!

Edited by Mike Savage - January 23 2014 at 5:34am

Ghetto Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ghetto Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 8:48am
Looking great!
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 4:26pm
What are you planning to use for lights on this big beauty?
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 9:09pm
Added salt today! Got my skimmer in, and added a little sand to the refugium

I went with the Bubble Magnus curve 9  Pic was about an hour after putting it in the sump
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 6:35pm
Well I got the rock done, or at least done enough to make the girlfriend happy by moving all the extra rock out to the garage =)

Akira also stopped by and helped move the can lights so I can take the canopy to the ceiling now 

Now I just need to figure out the wood work and hang lights...

Edited by Nick801 - February 01 2014 at 6:38pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 7:22pm
Nice!

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 2:37am
Just to clarify i didn't help move the lights I put a few extra holes in his ceiling. It was unfortunate that the new location for the existing can light was filled with duct work in between the trusses so Nick had to settle for a less than perfect location. But on a positive note his new tank will take the focus off everything else in his basement !!!
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 12:27pm
I like where he put the tank but the 2 things that bugged me and I like the least are the floor under it and the ceiling.

The uneven cement "tiles" under it were a pain in the ass when I leveled it for him.  Made me even happier I put nice smooth tiles under my 300 and got rid of the carpet.

the second is putting a canopy with the way the ceiling in front of that fireplace sits.  It would piss me off every time I needed to get into the tank.  He doesn't have  lot of room to get into the tank to do work.

But it is a beautiful setup and is going to be like his usual tanks, beautiful.
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 12:30pm
Looking great!

Originally posted by Nick801 Nick801 wrote:

Well I got the rock done, or at least done enough to make the girlfriend happy by moving all the extra rock out to the garage =)

Akira also stopped by and helped move the can lights so I can take the canopy to the ceiling now 

Now I just need to figure out the wood work and hang lights...

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 8:56pm
The rock work looks even more impressive in person! This is going to be an amazing tank!
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Sahin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sahin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 11:14pm
Looking forward to seeing this filled with corals.  Big fan of Nicks tanks. Approve
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 1:24am
Well I got the stand wrapped finally.... and stained it to match the pillars we have in our basement.  Also ordered doors for it today!

I still need to work on the canopy, haven't even started that yet, I'm thinking I might just get the lights hung from the ceiling tomorrow, and then take my time building a canopy around them.

Anyway here are a few progression shots =)

LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 5:13am
Looking really good

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 5:14am
I really like the way that looks. Very classy.

Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 1:05am
Originally posted by LaRue LaRue wrote:

Looking really good

Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

I really like the way that looks. Very classy.

Thanks guys ^ =)

Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 1:07am

Well I got some lights hung today. I had a couple Aqua Medic halide fixtures sitting around collecting dust so I decided to put them to use.

I put a 250w in the middle and 150watt fixtures on both ends, They actually lit the tank up really well.

These will get the tank going for a while, but I still plan to upgrade to something else in the near future. Maybe led? maybe ATI? not quite sure yet =)

Sahin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sahin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 9:59am
I would either go all ATI T5's or go with something like AI Hydras's/Radion Pro supplemented with T5's or even for with one of the new ATI Hybrids.  
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 4:40pm
Go LEDs. 2-3 hydra fifty-twos should cover that tank. (1 unit covers a 36x36 area)

Edited by kellerexpress - February 12 2014 at 4:42pm
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic