Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nick's 300DD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nick's 300DD
    Posted: January 15 2014 at 11:59pm
Well I figured Id start a build thread... for my new 300 Gallon Deep Dimension (Marineland) 6x3

Anyway the last two days have been a bit stressful getting it into place but now that its ready to go and I'm excited =)

Edited by Nick801 - February 24 2014 at 11:17pm
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 1:02am
Very nice... Now lets fill it with corals all ready!!!!!!!
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 8:59am
AWESOME! I was out of twon when you moved but I'm glad it went so well. I LOVE these tanks.
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 9:03am
it is solid now but leveling it was a b**ch.  I officially now know why most people complain about metal stands.  Dorks make them and do NOT make the legs level with each other.   It is level and solid now, but geeze!!!  back right leg was at least a 1/4 inch off from the rest of the legs so there was a real danger of the back corner breaking due to stress.  EVEN after the foam.    All the legs were varying levels so we ended up with all kinds of shims to get it level.

But it was stable, level before water, and still level after we put that much water in it, so it is good.  NOW he needs to plumb it up and do a sump.
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 9:10am
Yeah bmac, mine required some fair amount of shims too. I think explaining this requirement to the builder is key. After I showed my friend (that built my stand) the setup. He apologized repeatedly for not having it exactly level. He simply didn't understand that it should be built to tight tolerances and he know of several things he'd do better to "make it great" but I was happy with it shimmed up. Next time...
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 9:19am
I think one of the biggest things if you just HAVE to have a metal stand is this.  once it is built you put a sheet of mdf, or whatever you want on the top of the metal directly, then make SURE the board is totally level and shimmed right, THEN a nice piece of foam ( I like the 1/2 thing high pressure foam, usually blue in color),  Then put the tank and shim the bottom of the legs.  OR, have the builder put a flat piece of sheet metal and level out perfect and weld it to the top of the legs.  SOMETHING so it is not so flaky.  And whoever in the world was dumb enough to BOLT one of these together with bolts is insane.  Weld it all, weld it good.  NOT a fan of the bolt thing.

saying all of that, I will probably never have a metal stand.  I would have to see one built better than any I have seen to date to even think about it.
Stand by Dion
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 9:38am
WOW. This is a tank thread I'll be watching. 
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:09am
That tank is going to look awesome Nick! 

J
Ghetto Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghetto Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 11:35am
Looking forward to seeing your aquascaping!
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 11:40pm
Well just a small update today... got my base floor in and painted, Ordered Acrylic for my sump... Tyler at Elite Aquatics is awesome and said he would hook up a few cuts for me =) Also got a return pump from Eric from Aquarium Creations he hooked me up with a great deal on a Jebao DC 12000! Supposed to be dead silent and push near 3000gph

I'm having a little bit of a hard time thinking about what to do with the canopy... Because I have can lights above the tank...
I could make the canopy a little lower profile around 12inches *The total clearance to the ceiling is 18 inches* but debating going to the ceiling because in my mind I'm going to basically have to stick my torso in the canopy to get to things in and out of this tank every once and a while, being that its so deep.. but not sure I want to mess with the ceiling lighting...

Also started working on my rock a bit today... its a bit hard to see in the pic, but started building a little tower. the plan on this tank is to keep all rock work under 18inches to allow for some good coral growth... also waiting for a few prime cuts (Flat cut on one side) from macro rock to finish out the rock work hopefully I can get those in by next week

Edited by Nick801 - January 18 2014 at 4:42pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 7:36am
I prefer an open top but if you want a canopy on that tank I think I would go to the ceiling so you have more room to get things in and out of the tank. You will need to figure a way to keep the canopy doors open (if they hinge on the top) so they stay out of your way.

Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 11:32am
How did you cut the rock? Did you put the rocks on acrylic rods to build the structure?
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 11:39am
Just stacking and filling the gaps with Marco rock cement
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 11:50am
Going to be an awesome set up Nick!  My dream tank is 60" x 30" front to back x 24" tall.  Hope you have it done the next time I'm able to come down to UT so I can stop and see it!
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
willstang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote willstang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 11:54am
Its looking good Nick.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2014 at 12:24am
Well I'm still playing with rocks a bit today.. got the box of the sump done, Thanks to Akira for coming over to help - and *He also decided to help me move my can lights!* Super excited about this because now I'll be able to take the canopy to the ceiling...  also got a few little plumbing parts today..

These Action Plumbing manifolds are usually used for sprinkler valves and can be found at Sprinkler Supply or Sprinkler World, I'll use this one to feed a calcium reactor, a media reactor and a UV...

bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2014 at 12:27am
when we putting fish in that dang thing.  Enough already, get the rock and sand in it and lets rumble!!!!
Stand by Dion
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2014 at 11:53pm
Well today.. Tyler AKA Elite Aquatics seriously hooked my sump up!! Its amazing to watch the guy work, I've never seen such a perfectionist move at such a quick pace! His sumps are amazing in person but its even more amazing to watch them be built, talk about skills =) I wish I would have had him build the whole thing though!

Edited by Nick801 - January 21 2014 at 11:57pm
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 5:39am
What are the dimensions on that sump?
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 8:45am
Its 4ft by 2ft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic