Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corals can hurt?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 3:24pm
If zoas make you nervous, don't do them. I'm a bit of a worrier too and went through the same thing when
I started reeding wondering what would kill me etc. I always wear gloves and I don't do zoas and I love my reef tank! Yes other corals can sting you, so if you really want to have a tank (like me) you can use safely measures like gloves, tongs, etc so you don't make skin contact with the animals. If it really stressed you out, it might not be worth it. You'll have to decide.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 3:30pm
I'm one of those ones that got stung by my frogspawn! I had never had a problem with it and for some reason my arm grazed it a few years ago and it stung the snot out of my arm. I am more sensitive to coral stings and when that arm gets put in salt water it still gets really irritated. I also can't handle any zoas without gloves or I get really sick for the next few days whether I have been cutting them or not it doesn't matter. So really it depends on your system too as to how much they affect you. I just wear gloves as I can't live without certain corals:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 3:37pm
I've only died a couple of times. No big deal.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by charbel101 charbel101 wrote:

Lol no seriously guys but i heard there was aquarist that died from a zoa i don't if this is true or not but that's what i heard

I have no idea how many of the 7 Billion people on this earth keep or play with salt water inhabitants. However, I'm guessing that walking to your mailbox everyday is much more dangerous. I have handled just about every type of coral with my bare hands and have never had a problem. Use gloves as suggested, take the risk bare handed or stay out of the hobby. Simple as that. 

Edited by DLindquist - January 30 2014 at 3:43pm
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 3:43pm
I thought that was from Shark bites and Stingray barbs, not corals?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 3:50pm
We've had a few people in our club end up in the instacare and hospitals due to something from their tank.  Those stories are true and those toxins are nasty.  I guess the idea is to "be safe" or at least try to minimize contact; and then just play the odds and see if the benefits of keeping aquaria outweigh the risks.  

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

I thought that was from Shark bites and Stingray barbs, not corals?

Well if you count those...then I've died 4 times. Lol.    Still no big deal.

In all seriousness. I don't use gloves, I just wash my hands after handling corals. I do a lot more dangerous things in daily life than marine tank care.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 4:19pm
All I have to say is a little common sense and some basic knowledge of the inhabitants you're keeping goes a long way.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 4:37pm
Nematocysts (stinging cells corals have for food and protection), palytoxin, all sorts of venoms and poisons from fish/inverts...not to mention the awful viruses and bacteria, like vibrio and mycobacteria. Yes, our tanks are full of dangerous stuff, but so are our kitchen cabinets. Follow the suggestions above...wash up well, use protective gear, or find a safer hobby. If you decide to continue in the hobby, make a list of what you are exposed to and keep it in your wallet. That way, if you have a delayed reaction, medical professionals will have an idea on where to start testing and treating.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 4:40pm
Oh, and if you are not allergic to a coral sting, there may be some immediate pain (I rarely notice it), and you will probably get some small bumps that itch like poison ivy. First aid treatment is to soak the area in vinegar then soak the area in as hot of water as you can safely stand. The vinegar will dissolve the nematocysts and the hot water will decompose most marine toxins. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, that is all you need to do.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 6:03pm
I've had cone snails, and all kinds of other corals/anemones/zoas/paly's etc and always done stuff bare handed.

In fact even bristle worms don't hurt when I smack one accidentally and fill my finger full of bristles.

The cuts/scrapes from time to time on my arms sting more from just the salt water then everything else in my tank.

Just goes to show you each person reacts differently to the stuff in their tank.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 2:57am
Before I even relized there was such a risk I handled all corals ungloved . Now I take precautions when fragging zoas.  Glasses gloves etc. My only sting was on my inner forearm from a GBTA and I have handled bristle worms etc un gloved but I have some thick skin on my hands. Always wash before and after handling but each person is different.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic