Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 questions in 1 :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 questions in 1 :-)
    Posted: January 31 2014 at 9:57am
ok, couple of questions, one on a coral the other on water quality.

first, I have a huge head of candy canes, light green, not the neon ones.  It is about the size of a softball, and the heads are packed pretty tight to each other.  My wife asked should we frag some heads out to give the others room to grow.  Below is a pic of it.  What do you guys think who know more about candy canes?  frag?   frag individual heads out?  Split into like 4 colonies and let grow?  Leave it the hell alone?   It is healthy and seems quite happy on the sand glued to the rock I put it on.  Do NOT want to kill or damage it.  In the middle it seems that maybe some of the heads are dying from being packed too tight.  Opinions please?

hard to see, but there are a few places on the second pic where the heads seem to be dying, one or two of them.

Next question,  I have defeated the few microbubbles I had, but I continually have some little pieces of my macro algea floating in the water column with the flow.  I am running carbon, running GFO, running a UV sterilizer.  After taking Eric's advise and putting in the carbon and GFO reactors, my water did clean up a lot.  And the last of the little tiny vestiges of the algae are now gone.  Tank is looking really good now.  BUT I want to know what everyone uses to keep all of the little bits of macro algea from floating around the tank.  I thought about sponges, etc in the overflow area of the sump.  I do get macro over sticking to the inlet to my return pump, so need to stop that also. 

I know the macro floating in the tank does not hurt anything and my army of tanks eat any pieces they see, but trying to keep my pump intake clear and keep the macro in the sump where it does the most good.

Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 10:21am
I would say frag a few heads here and there but that is me personal because I think they look better when the heads have more room and the heads puff up more but otherwise if you like it leave it alone it is happy and healthy
As far as macro floating around I hate sponges they are phosphate factories I use I piece of the plastic canvas you can get at the craft stores and attach it to the end of the area in my sump that is the fuge and it catches all the macro
Hope that helps Shne

Edited by LaRue - January 31 2014 at 10:25am
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 2:27pm
Leave the colony as is (unless you plan on breaking up the entire thing and piecing it out). Breaking off heads will not cause the others to dramatically increase in individual size. Eventually the heads will just grow back in.

I use filter socks which keep my water crystal clear of almost any particulate matter. Algae from the sump never makes it to my display.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 2:35pm
I would leave it also unless you want more frags because once you cut it sometimes the structure doesn't hold together well
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 3:13pm
ok, leave it alone then.

And I just realized I had a cheap media bag that I just cut and sewed, then glued to the egg crate that separates my refugium area from my return area.  So I should get NO macro pieces floating over.  The grape algea is really bad about putting off little pieces trying to propogate, which I don't care, except it ends up making the display looking like there is lots of trash in the water.

We will see how it is after a few hours now.  And I do run filter bags at all times.  Nice thick ones that trap everything.
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic