Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sohal advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SWells View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sohal advice.
    Posted: January 31 2014 at 2:06pm
I need the opinion/advice of you tang experts. We bought a full setup(120G) a few weeks ago. It contained three large tangs: a 7" Sohal quickly named Grouchy Gus(Gus for short), a 5" Purple, and a 5" Blue hippo tang. All three were living peacefully(for the most part) together, but the 120 seemed a bit crowded with these three big tangs (and a few other large-ish fish). 

Yesterday we sold the Purple tang and ever since the Sohal has been racing around the tank chasing its reflection. I didn't realize it liked having a swimming buddy so much. Anyone ever seen this behavior before? is it normal, and more importantly, is it temporary?

The predicament is: due to the aggressive nature of the Sohal toward other tangs, we can't just add another tang to replace the Purple--at least not without some risk to one or both fish. 

So here are the options I see:
1. Wait it out and hope the Sohal learns the difference between a fish and a reflection
2. Attempt the introduction of another Tang (if we go this route, any suggestions on what type of Tang to try that could hold it's own? Powder Blue maybe?)
3. Sell or trade the Sohal and replace him with a smaller Sohal introduced simultaneously with another smaller tang. 

At this moment, I am leaning toward option 3 since our Sohal is approaching the size where I think he will need a bigger home. Anyways, I'd love to hear your feedback and ideas. I love the Sohal, but he isn't very fun to watch when racing back and forth at mach 2. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 11:51pm
I see several changes causing the Sohal to stress. The loss of a friend may have been the last straw, compounded by the move and change of ownership. Older fish can become as stressed as a pet dog, cat or bird. Yes, fish do become accustomed to their owner by his/her body shape, and movements. Don't forget the entire change of scenery inside and outside the tank, the change in feedings, etc.

As I see it, effective planning of what to do next needs more some forethought in these areas:
1. knowing what the tank looks like
2. knowing all the tank mates
3. comparing the feedings by prior owner versus now
4. comparing the activity in the room the tank is in, then vs. now
5. knowing how the move has, and will affect the biofiltration for the next 4-6 weeks

I realize this may seem like a lot, but in my experience all these things have an effect. The best course of action in this hobby is to be patient. The move was a major change. It will have effects on the tanks ecology and residents for weeks to come. If this Tang is acting stressed now, what do you think the further stress that selling it will do to it?

I'd be happy to give further opinion after learning more about the 5 points above.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 01 2014 at 12:00am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 8:33am
I agree, I'd wait it out. Don't add another fish.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic