Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hair algae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair algae
    Posted: February 02 2014 at 3:17am
Bet i have read this answer before but here goes. I have had a few smaller spots of GHA , most about the size of a quarter, I have removed them manually . But today I noticed a small clump in my skimmer. Its a reefocto recirc skimmer. My tank is about 100g total volume with a fuge running chaeto. lighting for fuge is 12 hrs day . Main tank T-5 8 lamp bulbs 8 months old. Run carbon in BRS reator. GFO BRS reactor 10 tbls ,GFO been running for 2 weeks. First time running gfo. Should I up the amount of GFO ? Am, Ni. Na =0
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 7:43am
Test your phosphates and if your gfo is exhausted then replace your gfo.. especially if this is your first time running gfo it might have got exhausted pretty quick
timmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 8:50am
oh man I have the same problem in my tank, sounds a little worse for me.  i can't wait to get rid of this crap it's so upsetting!  I was told to up the amount of snails and hermit crabs.,  Actually herbivores in general to help take care of it.
Tim
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 9:12am
Test phosphates and cut back on feeding as much as you can. Increase lighting on fuge by a few hours and harvest the chaeto regularly. How old it the carbon? Also be sure to post what your phosphate level is as this might be the root cause of the problem.

Also have you done any recent water changes? Do you use RO or RO/DI water for top off and water changes?

Edited by Ann_A - February 02 2014 at 9:14am
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 9:47am
In short, when something you don't want to grow is doing well you want to remove what it eats. Most often with algae and other nuisance growth this means allowing less nutrients to be in the system and removing those that are already there. Pictures often help too. 
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 7:01am
I agree with JohnnyHeavens.
This thread talks about that and also includes the other side of the equation that Timmy brought up. In addition to reducing what the algae eats, keep enough animals that eat algae. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 6:05pm
My PO4 is zero which is probably due too the algae eating . I have a pretty good clean up crew 100g total water and probably about 75 snails crabs 2 star fish (bristle and serpent) . 2 Weeks on GFO carbon is about 3 weeks old. I will post pics tonight when I get home. I use RO/DI filters in my unit were replaced in November and my out put TDS is 0 .
timmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 7:18pm
sounds like my tank!  If you find the culprit let me know.  I saw something the other day and the person said that if your magnesium levels are too low that may cause it too.  Been trying to get my hands on a mag tester to check it out.
Tim
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 9:18pm
Here are some pics and my mag is 1430 . For an earlier question . This may seem minimal but I don't want to let it get out of control .

This about 2-3 weeks growth .

Closed loop pipe its worse than pic shows

Cant see it but under frog is a decent clump of GHA

Pic of my sand and some zoos

Full tank shot

Edited by Akira - February 03 2014 at 9:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic