Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moray eel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moray eel
    Posted: February 03 2014 at 3:11pm
I picked up the golden moray (Gymnothorax miliaris) that Brian @ TheClownfishShack had. Currently eating silversides like a champ. I want to know from those who have or have had eels in the past: what were you feeding and how often? 

iPhone pic:

Edited by reefnfeef - February 03 2014 at 4:49pm
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 3:48pm
Let's see some pictures of that guy!

reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 4:25pm
Don't have any pics (yet) but do have this video http://youtu.be/s-P36APhO30 of him/her eating yesterday. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 4:27pm
Great job on the video, that was cool!

tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 4:56pm
How big is he?
Creating my own ocean
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by tink tink wrote:

How big is he?

10" or so
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 5:02pm
I was so tempted on that one.  We had a snowflake that got pretty big.  Awesome eel! 

We would break up silversides in thirds and feed with a trash stick from Harbor Freight (pinchers).  We also tried mixing it up and would break up some shrimp and scallops.  I do think our eel liked variety.  I usually fed 2-3 times a week.  Sometimes we would forget and he would come out and remind you.  Kinda went crazy around tank looking for food. 

We also tried keeping pieces small and not fish like (why we broke up silversides) so he didn't think that the fish in our tank were the same snack.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 5:08pm
I had a 4ft tessellated moray, 4ft Dragon moray both ate 2 full squids every other day. Also had a 3 ft snowflake and 3 ft fimbriated moray they ate also every other day about 3 shrimp and 2 to 3 silver sides (they didn't care for the silver sides much). We kept that tank stocked with chromies because the fimbriated was a hunter and would restock it about every other month with 4 to 5 new fish. I hope that helps
Creating my own ocean
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 5:49pm
I saw that eel a few days before you picked it up.  Beautiful!

I feed my snowflake eel and banded cat shark every 2-3 days.  The eel likes krill, squid, and silversides.  The shark only likes squid and will spit shrimp out.  I am going to try other foods to see, but that is all the previous owner fed him.

My triggerfish gets squid, krill, and silversides as an extra snack when I feed the eel and shark.

Mine are either hand fed or fed with a long pair of tongs depending on the day. 
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 7:48pm
Beautiful job on the photo!

reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 10:50am
Thanks for the info. I haven't tried anything but silversides so far. I'll give shrimp and scallops a go later this week. I want to keep him well fed so there's less desire for him to go after my clownfish, although, I know that is a possibility.
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 10:53am
Seeing that video makes me regret not starting a whole new tank just for him. I doubt i'll ever see a price like that again. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by peiji peiji wrote:

Seeing that video makes me regret not starting a whole new tank just for him. I doubt i'll ever see a price like that again. 

Trade you for your CAD 50
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic