Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sudden PH Spike!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sudden PH Spike!
    Posted: February 03 2014 at 5:47pm
After 2 years of my PH ranging very nicely from 8.2 to 8.4 starting late last night I'm having a spike that has reached 8.83! 

Two questions.... how dangerous is this level....

and What might make it spike. All other parameters are fine and I can't detect anything wrong. I dose but have it turned off now and have for a month.

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 5:52pm
Are you measuring Ph with a Ph probe? How old is it? Could have gone bad if everything else is ok and nothing has changed with the tank.
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 5:52pm
the first thing I would do is to grab some calibration fluid, a 7 and a 10 packet from whatever LFS is the closest and recalibrate your probes.  A weird change in a monitored parameter without any physical change to the tank  reeks of a probe going bad, or out of calibration.  if it reads the two calbration fluid right, and you still have a spike, I would probably take it to someone else around yhou that has a probe and take a jar of water to them and see what their probe reads.  IF it really did spike, there has to be something causing it.  But i would confirm all reading before acting on it.
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 5:59pm
LOL... BMAC2.... thats a pretty no-brainer of a suggestion.. thanks! I have calibration fluid so off I go to check the probe!

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 6:25pm
Well.... the probe just needed a good clean. The end somehow got stuffed bull of junk. I normally clean it every 3 months.... but apparently it was in dire need now. Thanks BMAC2.... good call!
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 6:35pm
Lol looks like me and bmac posted at the exact same time. What are the odds?    Glad you got it figured out.
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 6:41pm
excellent.  the probes for ORP and for pH both are pretty damn touchy, I don't care what brand or how much you spend on them.  They get dirty just a little bit and go nuts.
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic