Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

300 gallon ray tank?'s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
simpleyork View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 gallon ray tank?'s
    Posted: February 05 2014 at 11:13pm
working on setting up a stingray pond(either yellow stingrays or the california round rays), going to be using a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank. For the sand I'll be picking up oolitic sand for a 3-4 inch sandbed. Now comes the part I need some help in, forthe refugium I have a 40 gallon tall tank that I would like to use, I was thinking about buying the   Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 18 1800 GPH Pump  to pump water from the main tank up to the refugium then drill the side of the 40 forthe return over flow to move the water back to the pond. So first off would this pump be sufficient for the pond size? If so how large of a drain should I drill on the 40?
any help would be great
Thanks
Chris York 

LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 5:44am
The pump would be good for running the fuge if your not going to have much head height.
I would run two 1" bulk heads in the 40 gal.
When you pick your sand be careful you do not want to run sugar sand it can cause respiratory and intestinal problems for stingrays but you also don't want to go to coarse either as it can cut the rays.

PS. Make sure you do a tank thread on the build and everything for this there is allot of us on here that would love to see this as it progresses
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 7:36am
Aloha,

My favorite tank of all time, the one where I kept Mr.(Ms.) Ray and her friend Mr Batfish had a DSB of Oolitic sand. It was awesome. The fish were fun. Sorry, the internet is being terribly slow here at my house. I'll come back later. Smile

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 10:32am
Here are two of the threads which share more info:
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29830
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18895

We can talk more when you come to get the sand, but here are my initial thoughts:
- You can easily get away with NOT having to drill the 40 gal Refugium.
- You will need a return pump less than half the size you mentioned above. Feet of head?
- The footprint/area of sand surface of a 300 gal stock tank is ~13 square feet. I know of a used glass tank for sale. The footprint is 12 square feet and gives more running room for the Ray. The tank may be just a little over $100. I mention this because Rays are okay viewed from above, but are absolutely fascinating from the side. Big smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 06 2014 at 10:42am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 11:03am
I like the blue tub benepets has with their added window. Best of both. Seems simple enough.

I believe at one time Steve Etkins was doing a ray tank like what you have mentioned.

Yes - start a thread so we can live vicariously.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
timmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 11:19am
should be awesome when your done!  too bad for bills i'd poor all that money into an awesome tank haha
Tim
simpleyork View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 12:00pm
thanks for the input so far,

Mark, as far as the tub goes I'm quite set on the round design for the space that I will have for this pond in the basement. I'll be getting the Tub from Ace hardware for about $220
though I was almost thinking about adding a viewing window on one side but that has not been decided yet.
the pond would be sitting on the floor with the 40 gallon sitting just above it on a shelf, so the pump would need to pump water up 26-28 inches about.

I would also like to keep dwarf seahorses in the refugium, as I used to keep them when I first started keeping saltwater tanks 15 or so years ago, though it depends on how much currant there is .

I'm on a waiting list for some yellow stingray pups from a Florida diver and also will be heading to California in a few months so will be looking at some California rays at the Fish Stores in the LongBeach area.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic