Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Last fish or two suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last fish or two suggestion
    Posted: February 10 2014 at 10:46pm
I am looking for suggestions on a last fish or two that is unique.
I currently have a pair spoticinctus clowns that are about 1.5" and a 3-4" blue stripe pipefish. If I had to I could sell the pipefish but would rather not. So hit me up with suggestions.
Tank is IM nuvo 38g tank
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 11:07pm
Flasher wrasse like a McCoskers or a flame hawkish
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 5:17am
I'd go with an algae eater, probably a blenny.

beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 6:27am
mandarin goby  :)
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 8:13am
circus goby (priolepis nocturna) or a starry/snowflake blenny (salarias ramosus)
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 9:10am
I personally loved my flame angel. Had him for 15 years. Never bothered a thing. I know it can be hit or miss. In fact, now that I think of it, I'd love to get one again in my new tank. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 9:14am
Also, if you can get one that eats frozen, a red-spotted scooter blenny is now my kids' favorite fish in the tank. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 9:33am
Hi Jackie,

Thumbs Up I agree completely with Mike and Nate regarding algae eaters. I love the BiColor Blenny and it's cousins - so much personality.

Thumbs Down to the Mandarin, Scooter Blenny, Hawkfish and Wrasse until the tank has matured a year and even then the tank is too small to support more than one carnivore in addition to the Pipe Fish. I know that you know that. You're an experienced hobbyist. I assume the Pipe Fish is eating frozen?

Yesterday I visited Aquarium Masters in Ogden. They had a miniature Flame Angel that would be so perfect for your tank. It was ~1.5 inches. Dwarf Angels are soft algae eaters and with proper training will not bother coral and clams.

On your way to/from Ogden give me a call and come by for some ornamental red and green Macroalgae.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit anytime

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 11 2014 at 9:38am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 2:28pm
Yes Mark, the pipefish came with the system I bought to get some things out of and it eats frozen.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I love mandarins and would not get one unless it eats frozen. As for a wrasse I think there are a couple in my opinion that would be just fine in this system.
I do like flame angels but plan to eventually get a clam or two and not sure it's worth the risk, however I won't be driving to Ogden just to get a fish but thanks for the heads up:)
I will look into algae eaters I only worry there is not enough algae for one yet and I might need to get rid of the urchin I have in that case which I was thinking of doing anyway.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 2:54pm
Royal gramma and clown goby
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 2:59pm
Check out the Possum Wrasse-- pretty unique looking fish. 
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 2:59pm
Golden Midas blenny
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by 80cent 80cent wrote:

Check out the Possum Wrasse-- pretty unique looking fish. 

I love the possum wrasse and that is one I am considering
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 4:22pm
Anyone have any experience with Pygmy angels?
Jackie Stuver

Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Anyone have any experience with Pygmy angels?

Yeah, be careful and add it as your last fish if you are looking at getting one. I had a lemonpeel who was a fatty, and he still picked at coral... I probably wouldn't keep one if you are going to keep lobo's and other "Fleshy" Coral.

Your mileage may vary though, some wont ever touch coral, and some absolutely love it. Just be prepared to have room for a fish trap if you need it.

I'm pretty biased to Blenny's since their temperament is different than every other fish out there, Midas are awesome if you want a bigger one, if you want it to stay smaller maybe get a bi-color.

Edited by Ahanix - February 11 2014 at 4:31pm
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 4:38pm
I love Midas blennys they crack me up, but they are pretty aggressive. I do love them though so I may go with one.
Jackie Stuver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 4:41pm
I've had a few Midas Blennies in different size tanks and mine have been pretty mellow. The smaller the tank the more a fish will feel stressed and can tend toward aggression. Right now mine is the only fish in an 18" cube. He is also less than 3 inches so pretty small still.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 4:42pm
I really like the idea of a Possum wrasse especially Tanaka's which is what I am looking to put in my 12" cube.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 4:45pm
Yeah I have had one and it was probably my favorite fish so I might try it again. Are they jumpers? I now all fish can be but I had to remove the glass piece that covers my tank because the condesation kept getting under the plastic things holdingt eh glass up and then running that water down the sides of my tank!
Jackie Stuver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 5:08pm
Midas Blennies are definitely jumpers as are most wrasses. Since Pygmy Wrasses live in caves or under overhangs I don't know about them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic