Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3' 65gal build w/Pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3' 65gal build w/Pics
    Posted: February 17 2014 at 7:41am
So, figured I should start a re-build thread on my tank.

65 gal, 3' x 18" x 2'

Home made stand. 

2 glass holes 1" overflows, 1 glass holes 3/4" return.

2 mp10 ES for other flow.

Working on sump still.

4, 36" t5 HO lights,
24 Cree 3w led (12 cw, 12 rb).

I'll post up some pics a bit later.

Edited by Crazy Tarzan - December 15 2014 at 9:44am
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 9:09am
SO, I got tired of my rocks changing position everytime I needed to grab something that had fallen in the tank.  And tired of them only stacking in certain ways. 

Break out the Gorilla glue!  Took a couple weeks to glue my rocks into formations I found pleasing, and that seemed balanced in the tank.

Made 3 sided cardboard guide with lines drawn on 5ths, and slightly smaller than the interior of the tank so that I made sure I didn't get the pieces too close to the sides.

I now have 2 large structures that are stable, and well fastened to each other.  I still need to incoporate my 3 new chunks of LR from KP Aquatics (Sealife inc), but they will probably go on the sand in front, and between the two pieces in back.

Here are pics, though I glued some more chunks on the large RH piece.  I'll get some updated pics with sand tomorrow.

You can also see where I popped out a clamshell on the glass (grrrrrrrr......) wrestling the tank around on the sink.  Didn't put me in a good mood for a bit.

Front shot:

Right side (you can see the clam shell break up on the top area):

Left side:

wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 6:42pm
awesome aqua scape. The tank will look so sick when you have it stocked. One thing though not that u could go back now but gorilla glue isn't really reef safe it releases phosphates and can cause a huge algae problem. I would just cure the rock for a really long time.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 7:09pm
I've not heard about problems with Gorilla Glue. Is this a recent problem?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 9:44pm
I researched the gorilla glue for a couple weeks before I decided to use it, and none of it has been underwater yet--and it's well cured by now I hope--couldn't find any specific reasons it was bad, just rumors and speculation with no data to back it up (though for being used I found more positive anecdotal evidence of it being benign).

Since I'm using dead live rock that was all but encrusted and overgrown with algae before I dried it out, I planned on cycling the tank for at least a couple months--

I've even purchased some poly-filter, purigen, and activated carbon just for the cycle (and normal maintenance there after), plan on running a skimmer, and might have to set up my bio-pellet reactor again (though it probably needs new beads since they've been sitting in the garage in the reactor for over a year. . . )

Hopefully I can get it plumbed and running this weekend--then I can place in my three pieces of new uncured LR.

wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 10:28pm
You may be right I haven't personally researched it. I just have two different buddies that used it to glue a rock and sand back wall in their tanks and both had non stop algae problems from day one. Both were experienced reefers and that was the only thing they had ever done different. It got so bad they couldn't even keep any corals in their tanks cause it would just get chocked out. They came to the conclusion that was the problem from talking to other reefers and reading forums etc. it may have been the amount they used or who knows something different entirely. I just figured I would give u a heads up based on what I have seen/heard what happened.

Edited by wickedsnowman - February 17 2014 at 10:34pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 7:20am
Some updated pics of the tank and rocks.  Only has about 1/2-2/3 the sand I want. 

And if your buddies used gorilla glue to coat the whole back wall, I could see any chemicals that leach out causing issues with that much in a tank.

Full rock work shot:

Hard to capture all the depth/overhangs/levels with the camera:

Branching side from top down:

Edited by Crazy Tarzan - April 15 2014 at 10:29pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 3:16pm
Some updates,

Put more sand in, so total about 35-40 lbs of mixed sand, about 2/3 reef grade special and about 1/3 crushed coral with some rubble.  Gives a nice mix (for my taste).

Filled and leak tested the overflow bulkeads (since I resealed them), also overjoyed to find that even full of water my two overflow boxes are the same height and level (I did level the tank empty, and check while filling)!

Got the tank plumbed, all drains are 1" schedule 20, with slip fit for now--no leaks on them, and I wanted to be able to change them without hacking all the pipes off (might try to quiet the water sound a bit).  Return is 3/4" schedule 20, but I did glue the returns since its pressured (all but the 90* into the bulkhead, which is snugged tighter than all get out) so I don't have to replace the 90 if I change something.

Having some minor pump issues--main return pump has a nice humming sound (like a washing machine, and the skimmer pump blew the breaker and then zapped me later--new one on the way for that.

Total system gallons, including refugium and sump area is right about 65 gal.  I counted/calculated this while filling so that when I'm needing to know my water volume for calculations I actually know it and am not guessing.

Left 5.5" from wall to tank--I can get my hands behind the tank, clean the floor, and work on stuff still.  Didn't want to try and move 700+ lbs if something needed tweaked.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 3:25pm
Drains plumbed

Return plumbed--gray union lets me remove the return pump completely.

Showing space from wall and plumbing

1/2 way there!

Overflows--water is even across both, leak test over night gave nary a drop.

Full of water--finally.

Trying to show the depth of the rock structure on the right

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 9:09pm
Some updates, pics and comparison pics to follow:
Changed rear plumbing to Sump hose with corrugation--quite enough to live with, was able to return the fittings since I had only pressure fit the drains.  

Added more sand as stated, then added 3 pieces of live rock uncured--can't say how happy I am with this rock. So far on the 10 lbs there has been 3 different types of red algae, at least 5 pencil urchins, 4 emerald crabs, tons (I mean honestly tons!) of tunicates, I've two tiny corals, awesome coraline algae, a tiny smaller than a dime rock crab--bound for refugium once I catch it--and one carribean fire worm I took out, after it at the flesh off one of the tiny corals on the rock.

Had to move frogspawn early--it was/is recovering and the clown decided suddenly to host in it.

Had to move everything I liked early--tribal blenny I received by mistake from Reefs2Go was chomping on all sps.

Nice progression on some corals, the radioactive wyoming candy cane (from all the uranium mines/tailings around here) is growing like crazy--all heads are splitting.  

Frogspawn is nicely colored/puffed up--has two colors on a head or two.

Hammer is now happy since I've glued it in place, has 3 buds on it.  Slowly turning yellow/green on the tips, and I believe it's a wall hammer too.

Dragons blood favia is almost fully encrusted over all dead areas and shows awesome color/puffiness.

Purple acro is starting to color from dark purple (almost oregon tort) to the almost white branch/purple tips it had when I purchased it.

Tri-color (at least it's supposed to be, but in my tank who knows . . . . ) is nearly encrusted.

Red plater has turned orange, different frag of another is going pink.

Duncan is happy as can be, has at least 3 new heads forming.

My mushroom farm/gallery--last count had 8 kinds of mushrooms going.

Blue clove polyps are growing madly--started from about 20 tiny polyps on the chalice frag I have.

Chalice has 3 mouths (instead of 1), working on more.  Might need to put it in lower light though.

Purple on green frog spawn is slowly coming back from all polyps being ½ size of a dime, so doing well all things considered.

Cyphaestrea frag is adapting well to higher light, growing nicely.

War coral is amazing red color and beginning to encrust frag plug and grow 'under' the leading edge.

Blasto and neon green maze brain are much better, but still not doing awesome--might take a bit longer.

Other favia (not sure on color since I'm partial red/green color blind and it's right in that area I can't tell) is progressing--has feeding tentacles out at least 75% of the time.

Edited by Crazy Tarzan - April 15 2014 at 9:59pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 9:51pm
Sounds like it is doing great!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 10:22pm
What I started with for a lot of the lps (2014.03.01), and with the new tank (2014.03.07), and then a few month old shots of candy cane (2014.03.12), and then current shots (2014.04.15) of most of tank:

Month old candy cane shot

Current shots (2014.04.15)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 10:28pm
Carribean fire worm--best short video/shot I had of it.  Please take these out of your tank if you like corals.  Possible on all florida/carribean rock.

Note the red spot on head (at least that's what color people say it is), and the funky way it moves vs a normal bristle worm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 11:38am
New fish, thanks nsfw dave!  They are cleaning the sand bed below a small hollow on the rocks, and spend a good portion of time there now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2014 at 10:48am
Few pics of my mandarin goby displaying, and a couple pic of algae I have growing in the tank.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 11:21am
beautiful fish!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 1:32pm
Very pretty!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 5:09pm
Some updated tank shots, from left side to right side. Also pleased to inform that the gorilla glue is almost wholly encrusted with coralline algae, and I certain spots I cannot pick it out any more. I'll try and get some better coral shots soon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 9:43am
New FTS, yes I have algae.  Does it bother me?  Not really.  Except the hair algae.  I'm working on getting rid of that.  Maybe.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 9:58am
Decided I wanted to change my lights up.  Especially after my bank of white LED slowly died and all stopped working. 

Built new MH/T-5 fixture.  Ballast are all up on black shelf/box.  Using Ice-Cap ballasts, two different versions.  Reef Optix reflectors, and 2 odysea 15k 250W bulbs.  Also have two 39 W actinic T-5 bulbs.  Pic is with no color correction at all, taken on a phone.

Pic showing my wild light aparatus:

Tank with lights on and running:

It looked yellow to me for the first day or two, but that was from seeing the tank with only blue LED and an actinic and 10k T5-bulb for a week or so.  I really like the look now, but might do another LED with full spectrum colors later.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic