Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First time raising Black Ice clownfish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time raising Black Ice clownfish
    Posted: February 18 2014 at 12:17pm
My husband and I decided to try raising the eggs our Black ice clownfish have been laying. We got everything setup and have two good rotifer cultures going.

on night 8 we stayed up until 6am waiting for the fry to hatch and only one hatched.    It didnt survive. I think it was premature.   I also think we delayed the hatcing because we were both anxious and kept checking the eggs. With a flash light. On night 9 which was last night we turned all the pumps and lights out so the room was in complete darkness. We left the room for 45minutes and when we came back 98% of the eggs had hatched. Us being the the smart ones we are used my husbands cell phone flash light to attract the larval so I could siphon them. I bumped the phone and in the tank it went. So my husbands galaxy s4 is now fried. I'm hoping we'll be able to save at least enough fish to pay for his phone :/
Any ways I counted roughly 130 fry while siphoning.     I had rotifers and a little green water in some broodstock water I had prepared the night before. We added the fry and then I used a sieve to add some more rotifers. This morning I went to check on them and the fry looked a little sluggish so I feed rotifers again and all of them perked up and looked like they were doing great.
I'm excited to see how many survive and hoping to have some beautiful fish soon.
its definitely been a learning experience and a lot of work but it has been a ton of fun. I am still learning and probably will continue to do so even if I catch another batch later on.

Marie
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 12:31pm
That's so cOol !!
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 12:59pm
This is a picture of the male daddy.   He is Premium Black Ice.

Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 1:01pm
This is the female Mommy. She is Black Ice...

Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 1:03pm
Close up of the eggs the night they hatched

Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 1:05pm
Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 1:07pm
Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 1:09pm
Here is video of them laying the eggs. Pretty cool video.

Spawning

Edited by Snowwhire - February 20 2014 at 12:40pm
Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 1:11pm
Here is video of day 2 after hatch...

Day 2 Larvae

Edited by Snowwhire - February 20 2014 at 12:38pm
Marie
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 9:51am
Awesome. You are doing great.
I answered in your other thread about feeding.
Depending on how much light there was that first night from the flashlight, I doubt that it was the reason for no hatch. I agree that they just weren't ready.
Dim light from a flashlight with almost dead batteries or placing something over the lens to block most of the light is more useful and less bothersome to the eggs.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 9:38pm
Cool!!!!
Shining a light directly on the eggs can/will cause a delayed hatch from day 8 to day 9.
There is usually high mortality rate around day 2 if you siphon, scoop is a much better alternative.
Good Luck. 
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:13pm
Thats awesome =)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 10:14am
Some people may not know it, but Nick801 has also raised clownfish. Clap

I agree with Shaun about scooping. When I siphoned the larvae, most of them started swimming in tight circles and died by the next day.
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 11:40am
Thanks everyone! Its been a lot of fun! I actually ordered a vossen larval trap for this next go. She should lay again today.
the siphon worked fine. Just tedious to to catch 100 larval lol. We'only have had 20% loss. Not too shabby for our first go at it. They are 4 days old today and doing great!
I started a brine shrimp hatchery last night so I will start feeding them a baby brine/rotifer combo tomorrow.
Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 11:50am
This is a video of how they are doing and what they look like today on day 4 after hatch.

Day 4 Larvae

Edited by Snowwhire - February 20 2014 at 12:42pm
Marie
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 12:15pm
That is awesome. Looking forward to more updates as these little guys grow.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 5:05pm
I will definitely keep updating
Marie
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Snowwhire Snowwhire wrote:

...I started a brine shrimp hatchery last night so I will start feeding them a baby brine/rotifer combo tomorrow.
Too soon for that.

Reminder from the other thread about when they can eat what.
Originally posted by sabeypets sabeypets wrote:

Rotifers day 1 to day 14-24
NHBB day 10-12 to day 30++
Day 14-16 [and thereafter] dry and frozen

Only Rotifers up until around day 10, about the time when they start growing fast and pass through Metamorphosis. Until then they are too small to eat NHBB. I have even heard of small Clownfish Larvae choking to death on BS Nauplii. It's because they are very, very hungry all day long and will try to eat any swimming bug.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:18pm
Hmmm I was told to introduce the baby brine once a day at 5 days old but maybe I need to do some more research on that.
Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:20pm
Well at least I'll know about how long it will take to hatch the baby brine. I guess my display will enjoy a nice feast the next few days. I didnt know what NHBB was... see my post asking what that stood for. Now I know
Marie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic