Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First time raising Black Ice clownfish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 2:10pm
I found that joyce wilkerson's book "clownfishes" helped the most but I did a lot of research online also. I watched YouTube videos of others fails and successes which helped prepare me for any unexpected trials I might run into. I would love to do seahorses also. From what I've read seahorses are a lot harder so I am conquering clownfish first.
Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 3:06pm
Update...
My babies are now 26 days old :) they are growing fast now.
26 day old black ice clownfish

Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 3:10pm
Marie
jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 3:20pm
That is awesome I've done Seahorses of u have any questions let me know
if wishes were fishes we would all have some
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 3:28pm
That's great Jason! I will definitely be keeping you in mind for tthe seahorses. :)
Marie
RossB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RossB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 4:40pm

Hello Snowwhire,

I just lost the female of my clownfish pair that I have had for about 15 years. I was wondering if you were going to sell some of your babies. I'm really interested in some black clownfish.

Thanks,

Ross

P S.

Mark is helping me with posting this on the forum. It's my first time. My wife Carolyn makes the treats for every meeting. I'm just saying this so you know who I am.

Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 6:15pm
Ross i am so sorry to hear about your loss :(
15 yrs is a long time. thats got to be rough.
Yes I will be selling them. They won't be ready to go for at least 3 more months. They won't be completely black full grown. If you look at the pics of the parents at the beginning of this thread they have orange bellies that fade up to black with some very cool patterns for stripes. Keep an eye on this thread. I will be posting when it's about time for them to find a new home.
Marie
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 6:42pm
ROSS! Welcome! Glad you are hear! Thanks Mark for helping him! 

Snowwhire: Thanks for the updated pictures, so cool! 

J
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 9:29pm
Update...
52 days old and eating pellets and dried cyclopeeze.
It's crazy because some already are turning black and when I bought the breeding pair they had no black at a young age so I suspect these will have a very pitch black tone and then blend to orange. Their markings and lines are very defined and are starting to look like really beautiful fish.

52 day old black ice juveniles
Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 9:30pm
Marie
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 3:58am
Very cool. I am interested in buying a pair when the time comes.
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 6:52am
That's awesome. How many babies do you have?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 11:09am
Doing great. Thumbs Up

Are they getting any frozen, algae enriched shrimp?

I would like to buy some as soon as you are able to let them go. I'll coordinate my trip to Ogden with a visit to Brine Shrimp Direct where I need to pick up more of their awesome frozen Arctic Copepods and Spirulina Enriched Brine Shrimp.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 3:52pm
I love the clown in the first pic, it's mismatched stripe is awesome!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 6:19pm
Thanks guys. There are some really cool patterns on these fish and they just keep getting more interesting.   

Mark every other day I feed them frozen Arctic Copepods from brine shrimp direct and live baby brine enriched with selco. I am dosing iodine also.
Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 6:21pm
Hogie I have roughly 60-70 of these beauties
Marie
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 10:37pm
Awesome. Have you newer batches of babies in the works?
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 11:52pm
I'm not catching anymore until the summer is over. My family has a trip to Hawaii and lots of camping planned and caring for these guys wouldn't allow me to go anywhere so I will wait to do more. I have caught one other batch but it was really small only 12 fry in that one. They are a week old. The rocks fell and I think damaged the rest of the eggs from that one so only a few hatched.
I plan on continuing though. I really enjoy it and have good success with them.
Marie
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 7:17am
It's awesome to see your success. I don't find your name as a host on the Reef Tour? Cute baby clownfish are irresistible. Smile
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 12:04am
I wanted to share some of the cool markings and color I'm seeing in some of these fish.

This one's gray 3rd stripe is so cool!

Marie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic