Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First time raising Black Ice clownfish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 1:27am
Very cool! How old do they have to be before you can start selling them? Just curious
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 8:54am
It really depends on their size. Some people start selling theirs when they are on dry food exclusively but generally they are around 4 months when they are old enough.
Marie
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 3:01pm
Love them, I'm a sucker for misbar clowns
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 12:45pm
Can we get some updated pictures please. I want to see how these guys are growing.
Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 8:45pm
These aren't very good quality but I just snapped a few earlier with my phone.
Marie
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 8:48pm
Thank you! I have been following this thread and they look great!
Matt Savage

Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 9:46pm
This has been a fun thread to follow! Keep the updates coming.
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 11:34pm
I got to thinking how long until they really start to turn black?
Matt Savage

Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 1:28am
Well there is one that is already black that is a misbar. There is a picture of it above. I really didn't pay attention to when the parents finally turned black but if I remember correctly it really didn't take long. I want to say about a year before they look like they do when they are mature color wise.
I have had a lot of fun doing this thread so I am glad some people have enjoyed it also.
Marie
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 8:43am
Isn't it about time for an update? Wink
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 9:24am
Any news? I hope you didn't lose them. Unhappy

Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 5:34pm
Wow so many messages and comments from everyone... I am so sorry I haven't responded before now. I have been cut off from the electronic/digital world for the summer.
First I want to say thank you to all those who have helped and supported me throughout my first go at raising these little guys.
Now as far as an update... it pains me so much to think about it but I lost all my baby clownfish.   We're not sure exactly what they got but we're thinking it was ich or a fungus. It could also have been a possible containiment from my children which is more likey. I took a break after that happened because I was devastated! I had spent so much time raising them and they all died within a 24hr period. They were my Babies and I took pride in each and everyone of them :( It really was hard but I'm back and I am ready to try again. I have started sterilizing all my tanks and equipment and once my rotifer culture is back up and going strong I will be raising them again!
Thanks again everyone!
Marie
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 8:50pm
So sorry that happened to you.  They were cute little buggers in the pics you posted here.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 9:39pm
That's unfortunate. Cry

If it was something that got in the water, I'm not sure I would sterilize the tanks. The bio-film that forms on all the surfaces is part of the biofiltration. The reason I bring this up is because I had a couple visits with the breeder from whom I rescued about 100 clownfish this summer. Since this first batch, which became deformed, he has not been able to raise larvae past 7 days. Jason Sabey and I believe a large part of the problem is due to poor water quality. He was depending almost wholly on water changes, but could not keep up with the pollution caused by so many growing fish in bare tanks. I offered suggestions on how to improve his success with biofiltration rather than water changes.

FWIW, the way I see it, Biofiltration is much more than just the Nitrogen Cycle. There are many biological processes that go on simultaneously in a living system. Providing the right environment for effective processes ensures health and strengthens animals, even in the presence of unwanted parasites and pathogens. If things take an unexpected wrong turn, a healthy system can more quickly get back on the right path.

I would be happy to visit with you and you are welcome to visit me to pick up a few pointers.

Aloha Hug
MarksReef Coral (&fish) Farm
808-345-1049 (please call/text ahead)
750 E. Lakepoint Dr. (~5550 S.) #4V Murray
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 2:11pm

That's really sad. I have some Wyoming White that's spawning in my tank. When you 're ready I can get some a couple of batches.

200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 6:44pm
That's a great offer Danh. Of course Danh knows that another hobbyist and I used to do that. We would go get the larvae after dark, take them home to our systems and raise them. I also used to remove the almost hatched eggs from a hobbyist's tank, take them to my Clownfish Nursery and raise them. Worked out pretty well. Here is the thread about it. http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48272

Aloha  Hug
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 7:25pm
I appreciate both of your offers! You two are very kind.
I may take you up on getting a batch from you Danhngo.
Mark I did have a bio filter on both juvenile tanks. This time I have a different setup I am working on and will have a refugium running on the grow out tanks. I've talk with multiple breeders and have decided this is the best course of action to take.
Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 7:29pm
The reason I am cleaning the tanks is because I emptied them after losing the juveniles because I would be gone for the summer. No sense in running tanks that wasnt going to have anything in them for 6 months.
Marie
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 6:57am
"I've talk with multiple breeders and have decided this is the best course of action to take."

Did those include some local WMAS Members? Maybe it's not easy to tell, but there is an enormous amount of expertise that exists in the WMAS. As a group, we have always been on the cutting edge of the hobby, trying new things and developing methods that led out ahead, often paving the way for the rest of the hobby. This group has existed longer than most. I believe this forum may have began before Reefcentral. Many of the experienced WMAS Members have stopped posting here because they are tired of answering the same questions over and over for all the new people that come in to the hobby every year. Many of these locals, including Danh, are as knowledgeable as the guests we bring in to our meetings, they just very humble. They would rather listen and learn bits of new knowledge from the guest speakers. Anyone that has not taken advantage of the knowledge to be gained in discussions with experienced WMAS hobbyists and guests at the monthly meetings, is really missing out.

Aloha  Hug
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 6:34pm
I love reading your thread. I use to breed and raise clown fish as well and I know how attached you get to them. I am so sorry for the end result. Very interesting thread that WTG you did an awesome job!!!

Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic