Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Closed loop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Closed loop
    Posted: February 18 2014 at 5:06pm
So i currently have a closed loop on my 78 g system . I have a 2" drain and a 1 1/2 " return split into 2  1" pipes that get reduced to 2,  3/4" that split into 4 pipes in my display it is fed by a reef flo snapper/dart . Also 1 MP 40 . Going to be doing a 93 cube and was wondering about thoughts on keeping the closed loop or just using 2 power heads. Any thoughts ?

Edited by Akira - February 18 2014 at 5:08pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 7:24am
The advanced technology of Stream Powerheads (propeller instead of impeller driven) is superior in so many ways. It allows the system to use an economical powerhead to move a satisfactory amount of water (~300-600 gph for a 93 gal cube) through the sump/Refugium whilst tons of water is being circulated separately by stream powerheads in the display. This is more efficient water flow and electricity usage than your current setup.

Also, with a little planning, stream powerheads can provide maximum circulation efficiency and best pH/gas exchange. This means they are positioned down low shooting up, partially hidden by aquascaping and, if necessary, provided with screen cage anti-clogging protection.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

BTW your tanks plumbing is an open loop, a typical overflow with sump arrangement. A "Closed Loop" is where a dedicated external pump is plumbed to suck water through a submerged inlet and return the water through a submerged outlet. Just thought you ought to know. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Durff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 8:24am
Wile your on a roll mark, what's the benefit of a close loop. I'm planing on building an all in one tank in the future (bio-cube style) with a close loop along with an open loop. I was thinking of putting the close loop retunrns on the back wall. One on each end near the bottom, pointing up. My open loop return at the mid-top. I like the sleek look of no bulky power heads in the tank. It would be on a 30-50 gal cube.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:34am
I like your plan, Durff. It can be more difficult to hide the powerheads behind aquascaping in a cube, but the disadvantages of drilling the open water area of an aquarium makes powerheads a better choice in my book. In 2006 I set up a 120 with a closed loop. In the pic below, you can see the external 1200 gph pump which was set on a platform hung on springs from the ceiling of the stand, to reduce vibration/noise. I removed the both overflow acrylic panels and used the return holes for closed loop returns. The right drain hole was for the closed loop intake and the left drain hole had 2" black ABS standpipe with a modified Durso on top.(The modified Durso is my own design. It is way smaller than a regular Durso.) More pics available on request. Sorry for getting a little off topic.

I too dislike the look of bulky powerheads, but I have found MaxiJet stream powerheads to be awesome. Their suction cups don't last but that doesn't matter to me because I place them in the sand shooting almost straight up. 1300 gph for $20 (online deal) made them about 3X the flow for the money. The power cord goes under the sand to the corner, up and out. Hardly noticeable. A couple rocks strategically placed hides the powerhead in the sand and a screen cage around the powerhead protects anemones, if present.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

sump/Refugium and Closed Loop (CL) pump and piping pictured above.

Display pictured below. Horizontal CL intake screen and right side CL return visible on the right behind the Batfish and two large Tridacna clams

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 5:27am
Mark I do have a closed loop . What I have posted origanaly is my closed loop . I also have a herbie drain system with a mag 12 return from my sump .
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 6:37am
Oh I'm sorry. Looking again at the OP, you describe 3 sources of flow, correct?

"So i currently have a closed loop on my 78 g system."
"I have a 2" drain and a 1 1/2 " return split... fed by a reef flo snapper/dart."
"Also 1 MP 40."

Probably the reason I got confused was because only 2 circulation pumps are mentioned. Out of curiosity, what pump runs the CL?

As I said above, I have moved away from CL's because of the hazards of drilled tanks. Here is my list:
1. the extra holes to be drilled
2. the extra plumbing,
3. the doubled risk of leaking bulkheads,
4. the tripled risk of the glass cracking

Why 3x risk of cracking?
Between two drilled holes there is one stress line. Between 3 holes there are 3 stress lines. Add to that all the stress lines between the holes and the corners and you have quite a fragile glass box.

Plus,
for a closed loop the bulkheads are in open water, open glass. In an overflow arrangement, the holes are supported by the overflow in two ways, 1) the siliconed connection of the overflow wall with the glass surrounds the drilled holes with support and 2) a leaking bulkhead can drain only the water in the overflow, not the entire display.

Maybe it wasn't necessary for me to go into this much detail, but that's me. I like detail. Embarrassed

Aloha,
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic