Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

300 gallon stock tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
simpleyork View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 gallon stock tank
    Posted: February 18 2014 at 10:13pm
started the simple plumbing today

Edited by simpleyork - February 18 2014 at 10:47pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 7:37am
Are you sitting down? You posted this publicly so I assume you are ready for critique, right?

Disapprove
That corrugated RV pipe is going to terribly slow the flow from that powerhead and the custom "U" tube is going to break its siphon almost immediately.

I work for frags, if you would like me to come consult on this project. Smile

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 11:15am
don't have any frags to hand out, but i do have an urchin or two, I'll be home all day.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 8:37pm
the system has been running for two hours now . . . fingers crossed.
the level of the refugium goes up and down 2 inches as it gets to the higher part it chugs water through the siphon fast taking it to the bottom of the pipe fills up again and then redoes it,

if I added a "U" joint to the top side would it stop that?

Edited by simpleyork - February 19 2014 at 8:40pm
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:00pm
What is this for? Any details on your goals with this set up? Is there a display tank? Is this going to be a frag tank? Give us some more details.....EDIT, found your other thread, ray pond, makes more sense now.

Edited by Bryce - February 19 2014 at 10:21pm
65g Reef
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by simpleyork simpleyork wrote:

the level of the refugium goes up and down 2 inches as it gets to the higher part it chugs water through the siphon fast taking it to the bottom of the pipe fills up again and then redoes it,

I would keep that!  I do the same thing on big tanks as a surge for water flow.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 11:02pm
so it will keep the siphon even getting close to the edge of the pipe? if so great, just don't want to be converting my whole basement into a pond. lol

the refugium will be in the long future holding dwarf sea horses and a few other odds and ends, while the main tank will have rays, and what ever ends up getting too big for my 40 gallon breeder.
wish my french grunts had made it but oh well next time, they are such neat schooling fish.
I'm also thinking of installing track lights in the the basement and having a few ecoxotic par38 led bulb's in them facing the pond so I can grow caulerpa  in the pond as well.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:03am
Ahh yes. It's acting as a Carlson Surge Device. It still worries me though. Have you experimented/tested the system by breaking the siphon to see how much water gets pumped out of the tub and up into the 40 gal? Does it overflow the 40? If it comes close to overflowing, the return powerhead will need to be raised higher or placed inside a skimmer box.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:25am
ran all night but I do agree that i need to tincker with it a bit more to get a more desired result
Durff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 8:15am
I would put in an extra overflow for the unforeseen chance that one fails.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 9:01am
That is an excellent idea
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 9:54am
Another overflow, set to come into play in case the water level rose would require more stuff alongside the surge. I've used a surge device, seen Adam's various devices/dump buckets and the big ones at MSM locally and at Waikiki.  My opinion is that they aren't all that necessary. Plus, they are NOISY. The Poormans Wavemaker is much simpler and better IMHO. Of course, it depends on what simpleyork wants to do in the long run.

To keep Seahorses, the suction at the siphon intake needs to be diffused/spread out over a large area.
To keep the upper tank water level from fluctuating the surge will need to be forgone.
To make the siphon dependable requires one of three options:
- raise the siphon output to the elevation of the water level in the upper tank,
- use a standard overflow box, or
- use a connected water reservoir with a standpipe drain leading to the lower tank.

I hope to be able to vist soon. An Urchin is good substitute for a frag.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 1:08pm
my tinkering has led to this, it has stayed steady level so far, though for a back up maybe drill the tank?

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 6:40pm
That's it, in principle. That's a good first draft design

I have an overflow box.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 9:56pm
Basement flooded while at work  . . . try again tomorrow. Fortunately I had the pump near the surface so it was very little. Under the caring voicement of my wife I will now be taking the 40 gallon out of the picture and pumping the water into a hang over box with carbon so there is no way that I will have another oopsy. lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 9:40pm
well here is the redo, I drilled the 40 gallon tank then that lead into a "filter" zone where it is only around one inch deep(keeping fiddler crabs in this area) then there is an over flow that goes back to the main tank.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 10:40am
I like it better. That design should work well and has very low risk of clogging.

What's the dust storm from? New sand that needed more rinsing?

If Utah sand is not rinsed thoroughly so that the end rinse water is somewhat clear with a milky white appearance (fine Calcium) it will then require time to clear. A slight tan bubbly scum on the water surface is an indication of Utah Sand that has not been rinsed enough. Add as much Chaeto as possible under bright light to avoid high N compounds/pollution cycle.

Thanks for the Urchin and the Sargassum. The urchin has gone right to work, eating what I hoped it would eat. In order to grow well, Sargassum needs direct sunlight or to be directly under a bright light.

The 40 breeder and the rustic stand look awesome in person.
I hope you will be on the Reef Tour.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 1:15pm
the dust storm is from all the new sand I placed in it Saturday evening, I rinsed till the water looked clearish but I think the power heads are stirring it up too much , may turn them off for a few days

Edited by simpleyork - February 23 2014 at 1:15pm
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 2:37pm
Looking cool
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 6:14pm
Ahh, yes of course. High flow will easily stir new Oolitic Sand. I usually cover it with a thin layer of larger particle sand and a deeper layer in areas where it is blowing the worst. LR rubble, spread 3-4" around the powerhead on the sand keeps it from being picked up by the suction. In time a bacterial film and the growth of worm tunnels will hold it together quite well.

Thinking about your setup, to protect the Rays tails from being sucked in, I might place 4-6 tall pieces of LR or clean Utah Rock strategically around the powerheads on the sand with space between them for incoming water channels.

Next thing I would do is to get a large basketball sized clump of Chaeto and light it really good 24/7 from now until after the first Ray gets introduced. Although it is a risk to add a large fish too soon, it is possible if sufficient Macroalgae and LR are used sooner rather than later. Adding a bottle of start-up bacteria is also a good idea.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic