Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sump set up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sump set up?
    Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:00pm
I'm working on setting up my sump and want some feed back.  Please offer any suggestions, or ideas to make it a 'better' sump.

It's a 29 gal tank, 12 w x 24 l x 16 t dimensions. 

Since my tank has two drains, I was going to plumb one to the skimmer side with a sock, and one straight to the return pump side, no sock for now, to help slow down the flow through the skimmer/media reactors/refugium.

I've been loaned a bubble magus NAC6 skimmer that one of my friends isn't using/going to use in the near future, since my Eshopps PSK-100H pump broke where the pump cover fastens down.

I'm trying to figure out where to re-mount the division panels in the sump.  The biggest problem is the loaned skimmer foot print--it takes 6.5" x 11" with the intake.  On a tank 12" front to back this is causing me some grief.  I'm also trying to keep space for a refugium, and a submersible little giant return pump (though I could use one of the little giant external pumps I picked up. . . ).  

If I place the skimmer intake in the corner of the tank (skimmer would sit mostly diagonally), with about .5-.75" spacing to the glass, it takes 8" of the 23.5" available inside the sump. This also leaves me at least a 4x4 area for the filter socks.  If I place it so it only takes 6", I no longer have room to put a filter sock in that area since it occupies 11.5", and about 9.5" not counting the intake.

I've figured 5.5" for the return pump, with 10" or so for a refugium?  The skimmer area is 13" deep (what my hob ran best at, I can raise the bubble magus if needed), with the refugium area 10" deep (previously 8.5" deep by 9" wide), though I plan on using 3-4" of sand in it, along with chaeto/caluerpa.

Any thoughts, or things I should consider changing?  I can cut down the glass panels if needed--I have two 13" tall, (was going to do a bubble trap style--the second mounted at the top of the tank forcing the water to flow down under it, but don't know how much space it needs, and I'm running short on space anyways) one 10" tall, and one 8.5" tall piece. 

Edited by Crazy Tarzan - February 19 2014 at 10:04pm
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 10:57am
Think in 3D

Remove all baffles so that water flows the full width of the tank. This allows micro-bubbles to rise since the water is flowing slower.

With baffles removed, the Refugium runs the entire length and width of the tank.
With baffles removed the entire 29 gal becomes the top off reservoir rather than just the small area typically used for housing the return pump. Manual top off can thus be less frequent and larger volume or require less movement/longer life of the auto-top off float valve.
Place the skimmer suspended or on a pedestal above the Refugium. The skimmer probably works best not submerged to the bottom of the tank.
Place the return pump suspended or on a pedastal above the refugium with the intake near to the water surface. This is a safety measure to ensure that only a small amount of water can be pumped out of the Refugium if the drain clogs.

Is the return pump to be used as display tank circulation? If so, that may require filter sock(s) to stop the fast draining water from stirring up the sand. If two drains lead from the tank, I would use corrugated RV tubing and lead both drains into one filter sock on the end opposite the Skimmer and return pump. Corrugated tubing slows the water flow significantly, which makes for a quiet drain. Typically, a return pump pushing ~350 gph(at head) is great for this size of system. The Refugium can do it's job well with this flow.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 11:22am
mark--the skimmer can go up no prob, was going to have to anyways--but it still requires up to 11" of water (though most run better at 8-9" from what I've read). 

I'm using PVC schedule 20 for the two drains down from the tank--I could throttle back the return pump as well to help slow the water flow.  I could plumb both into a 1.25" corrugated drain, into a single 4x8 sock.  Which maybe I'll put in a 4-6" piece of pvc if it's too noisy.

In part I'm trying to plan ahead for if/when I need to install my HOB filter again, then I don't have to fiddle with the sump again, but I can just plan on getting a new in tank skimmer I suppose for if/when I have to give this one back.

I can also screen the intake for the pump--chaeto doesn't like to go through egg crate unless you break it up.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:35pm
The corrugated tubing has a smooth band every foot. That smooth band fits snugly into a 1" PVC slip fitting. A little PVC glue ensures a good seal and bond. A Coupling or 45 degree fitting works well in this situation. The corrugated tubing is nice and flexible. Both lines could be run into one filter sock. A whole lot of water can flow down a 1" pipe when it's just water and no air.

The plastic basket shaped filters used to keep swamp cooler motors from clogging are awesome as large Macroalgae filters around submersible pumps (better than trying to rig up some eggcrate). I set the return pump in one basket, then set that on top of an overturned basket sitting on the sand. To save the expense and hassle of an AC Reactor, a bridal veil bag of AC is placed loosely over the intake inside the basket. Maybe this pic will help illustrate. All PVC pipe in this old pic is flexible spa pipe. The drawstring of the filter sock is hung on a nail to keep the filter sock in place, but not above the edge of the tank in case the bag clogs and water spills over.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:44pm
Oh I forgot. There wasn't any sand in this Refugium because the display was 4'x2'x4" (20 gal) of Utah Oolitic Sand for Mr. Ray. I figured that would be enough and it seemed to work pretty well. Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:49pm
Here's some pics.

I've decided to run a separate compartment for the return pump, with a 10" depth of water throughout the rest of the sump.  I'm going to run 'sand less' for the moment, unless I have time to cut a small piece (2" or so) of glass to separate the sand from the skimmer area.  

This also allows me to run an ATO in the return area, and have a constant level in the fuge.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic