Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Care For Green Tip Leather Toadstool Coral

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Care For Green Tip Leather Toadstool Coral
    Posted: February 24 2014 at 10:47pm
Recently, I purchased this coral and for some reason it won't open up. It's in a red sea max 500 s and I've tried it in several different places. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?
ReefKeeper78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 4:46am
What kind of lighting does that tank have?
180Gal Reef with 576 Watts of LED's
16Gal Innovative Marine Nano LED lit
150 Gal Frag tank with MH
PADI Dive certified sure love that ocean..
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 7:26am

How long have you had the toadstool?

You should place it somewhere in the bottom half of the tank, with a little bit of flow (but not too much direct flow) and then leave it alone.

Soft corals such as leathers, toadstools, nepthia, sinularia, etc are notorious for taking their time opening up. It is not uncommon to have one of these corals take a few weeks - even a month or more - to get fully acclimated and start polyping out.

Moving it around every few days is only going to lengthen the process, as the coral never gets a chance to become settled in one spot and remains stressed. 

As long as the coral is not dissolving / disintegrating... just give it a decent location and then leave it be.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 8:07am
I agree with what Bob said.
It may get a shiny appearance and will probably shed a layer of tissue before it opens back up. Not to worry, that's how it deals with change and growth/recovery.

Other important things to check:
Are all other coral doing okay Question and
Are Alk and Ca within normal parameters Question
If the answer is not "Yes" to both those questions, let us know and we'll help you correct it.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
laroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 1:29pm
+1
Mine recently went thorough a period where it was closed for some time. As long as there is no tissue going black or darkening you should be fine. Yes you should get a shinny skin that will slough off. I removed mine with pipette sucking up the skin .They do like to be undisturbed. The more I leave it alone the better it does. It does close up almost every night but not every night.
Always be leery of a fish farmer...wait or is it a pig farmer?
Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 3:54pm
I have 10 T5s on the tank that came with them. It has only been in the tank for three days. Thanks for the advice and I'll leave it alone to eventually open up. I have a wide variety of other corals that are in the tank and are doing great! Thanks again for the advice!
laroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 4:15pm
Any SPS corals in the tank? If so do you run carbon? My toadstool and staghorn really don't like each other.They use to be in the same display tank. They are in the same system but now in different tanks both are a lot happier.
Always be leery of a fish farmer...wait or is it a pig farmer?
Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 6:12pm
I do use carbon, but only have one SPS in the tank.
Cu455 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cu455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 3:08pm
You can try adding a few drops of iodine.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 4:27pm
It's advisable to test for the need before supplementing chemicals. Saltwater mixes include enough Iodine to feed the normal needs of coral in our systems. Also, I believe this tank is not old enough nor stocked enough to have low levels of anything.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 11:27am
Thanks for everyones input! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic