Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to Quarantine Sand Sifting Goby?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Quarantine Sand Sifting Goby?
    Posted: February 26 2014 at 10:15am
I'm looking at getting a Diamond Goby.  How do you do an initial QT of a sand sifting goby?  I have been religious about quarantining new fish 6 - 8 weeks, but I typically just use a bare tank with PVC fittings.  Do I add sand to the QT tank?  A small sandbox?  Or do I stick with the bare tank and PVC?  Also, how would I feed this fish in QT?

I know there are people on this forum that don't like "sand throwing" gobies, but I've decided I want one so let's focus on the QT. Smile

Thanks in advance!

Edited by aceofspadeskb - February 26 2014 at 10:16am
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 10:25am
I have not QT'd a goby, but I have several wrasses that bury themselves in the sand. If you are just running a QT with no medication, you can use dry clean sand in the tank. It will allow your fish to do his thing, but he will not get the food he is looking for. I have used "sandboxes" too, but most fish do not seem to care for them.

If you are going to use medication in the tank, I would not use sand. It can absorb some meds or otherwise affect the dose concentration.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 10:33am
Thanks!  I don't use medication in the initial QT(I'm still learning).  How do I feed it if the sand doesn't have the food he's looking for?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic