Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Algae on sand - never ending

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Algae on sand - never ending
    Posted: February 26 2014 at 1:55pm
Well I know this can open a can of worms but I am at a loss. I am constantly getting a brown/ green algae (film type not hair) on my sand bed after a day or two and it has been going on ever since I moved my tank 8 months ago. I replaced the sand with new Caribsea live sand and about a cup of the top layer of my old sand. Everything else about my tank is exactly the same before I moved without the issue (except corals are bigger/more).

Tank details: 65gallon, 20gal sump with refugium growing cheato , two ecotech radions, two mp10s, 3 koralias throughout tank at dead spots and a seaswirl (so lots of flow for a 65g), gfo reactor with BRS high capacity changed monthly (I know not cheap and probably too frequently) gfo, GAC in reactor, filter socks changed every other day, P04 0 to .04 on a hanna checker, no measurable nitrates, at least 30-40 hermits, 30 snails (trochus and turbos, had a conch but seems to have disappeared), UV light, dual DI RO/DI 0 TDS top off and mixing water, feed only frozen about 1 cube a day, fish: melanurus wrasse, kole tang, two clowns, two chromis, firefish, rose goby, cardinal, and mandarin, 3 peppermint shrimp. Weekly 10g water changes. Tank was started with BRS dry pukani and a very small amount of buna live rock from live rock n reef.

My ideas are:

1) My salt (instant ocean) which I switch to about same time as when I moved (used to use Oceanic).
2) My wrasse who has gotten pretty big isn't mean but if given the opportunity he will take out a hermit or smaller snail so they hide ALL day so the sand bed isn't being stirred/ crap eaten off it and they used to be out more.
3) Over feeding, but 1 frozen cube a day for a tank my size with as many fish I have does not seem overkill.

My lights are on same schedule except I did add a second radion but that mostly just increased coverage from side to side.

I have tried siphoning and stirring but it just comes back in a day or two. My P04 is low but I have noticed fresh made salt can have a P04 of .06-0.8 even if I started with P04 0/ TDS 0 RO/DI water but I have always thought that was just some Calc/Alk precipitation in the sample throwing the test off as the clarity of water is off.

Please share your opinions if you actually read this far, haha LOL.
65g Reef
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 2:23pm
I recommend getting a few conchs and a sleeper goby.  http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+213&pcatid=213

My sleeper goby keeps the sand nice and stirred.  The only annoying thing is he does dust some of the things that are at the bottom of the tank.  All corals and clams deal with it and everything is happy.  The conchs are fun to watch and do a great job on the sand bed since they don't climb rocks or glass.

My yellow wrasse likes so follow the sleeper goby to pick up any uneaten bugs that come up from stirring the sand. 
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 3:14pm
How about a picture? Sounds like a form of cyano. I went through the same battle for almost a year. 
1) I use a mix of Oceanic and Instant Ocean- and have for 15+ years.
2) I have lots of wrasses. However, I've never had more than 10 snails (even in our current 270G)
3) What's considered over feeding? I feed, they eat. Sometimes it's once a week and sometimes it's
     three times a day!

After constantly battling the algae with no avail, I finally give in to the use of ChemiClean. My sand has been a beautiful white ever since?
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 3:37pm
Pics, thanks for the replies, I'm to chicken to use chemiclean some people say they used with no issues and others say it kills significant life & corals so it seems like a 50/50 chance. It does not grow where I have shade and also doesn't seem to grown in other random areas.

Edited by Bryce - February 26 2014 at 4:08pm
65g Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 4:03pm
Looks like cyano to me. Let people chime in with other recommendations. I tried them all. I decreased feeding so much my corals began to suffer. Chemi Clean worked wonderfully well. Haven't had any issues since. As far as getting to the root of the problem? Cyano was the problem. Haven't changed a thing since. Let's see what Mark has to say!

Having said that, use any chemical treatment at your own risk.

Edited by DLindquist - February 26 2014 at 4:17pm
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 4:41pm
Ive never heard of anyone having issues with chemi clean if its used correctly. I keep a bottle in my fish room at all times :)
My guess is it was a bad batch of sand. That caribsea "Live" sand is most often not only dead but loaded with decaying organisms. It will take time to get that decay out of the system. Vacuuming the sand will help a lot.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 5:09pm
Definitely Cyanobacteria. Perhaps you already read the Reefkeeping Tip about eliminating Cyano. It's a very good discussion about easy things that have addressed the root cause. I can't remember if my secret remedy is mentioned there, but I'll bring it up below.

I'm not surprised that changing the sand bed had no effect. Thanks for the pic. Two things come to mind after viewing that.
- The sand bed is not exceptionally deep and is fairly clean looking. Are there any worms in the sand  QuestionEvidence of worms is in the tunnels that would show up next to the glass. Worms are just one of the indicator organisms in LS that help prevent Cyano. Leaving the sand undisturbed allows bacteria and micro-organisms to grow in their favorite layers and process the waste which feeds Cyano.

- How about the Refugium Question Sand depth? How often is Macroalgae harvested?

When you read this, it may sound too simple, but I have recommended something that has worked again and again over the years. Add some Utah Oolitic sand to the display sand bed. 2-3 quarts is all it takes. One at a time, make several depressions in the sand down to the glass by pushing the sand aside, pour Oolitic sand in the holes and cover back over with the current sand. Within a week or two the Cyano usually disappears. The reasons this works are: 1) Oolitic sand harbors more bacteria per volume than larger particle sand and 2) the lower levels of the sand bed are where the final denitrifying process occurs to change Nitrate to N gas and water. Finer sand always ends up on the bottom of the sand bed where the resulting larger bacteria population can do the job. This large bacterial population steals nutrients from the Cyano.

I would be happy to trade Utah Oolitic sand for frags and during your visit maybe I can show you more reefkeeping tricks.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049
750 E Lakepoint Dr #4V
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 8:35pm
Thanks for all the replies I appreciate them, Mark in regards to your questions, my sand bed is about 2"- 2.5" in the display but yes its thin at sides /edges of the tank mainly from using my magnet to clean the glass which blows the sand inward towards the middle of tank. I do have a ton of spionid worms, spaghetti worms, bristle worms blanketing my sand (well not blanketed by the bristle worms but at night I frequently see about 4 bristles out) which is why I saved a cup or so of my old sand when I moved the tank to my new house and purposely made sure I added a few of each worm to the sand. I do harvest my macro monthly by trimming it and the sand in my refugium is 3- 3.5" inches deep and the film does not grow down in my refugium. I will take you up on the trade as you owe me $15 for the frags you already picked up in December LOL not sure what a few quarts of Utah Oolitic sand goes for but I trust you will be fair.  I doubt I can make it out your way before the March 6th meeting but if I can I will let you know, otherwise I will just get it from you then. thanks again.

Edited by Bryce - February 26 2014 at 8:38pm
65g Reef
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 12:21am
Chemi clean is fine...or

1. Lights out complete black out for three days, cover tank
2. Crank up skimmer to skim really wet starting day one and wait until skimmate turns red on day 3
3. Add some gfo on day 1, change out day 4
4. Baste or maxi jet all the rock/ sand on day 4
5. Perform 20% water change day 4, suck out dying algae
6. Remain good tank husbandry so this effort doesn't turn into a bandaid, run small amounts of carbon and gfo continuously
7. Continue feeding as normal, cyano still thrives in low nutrient environment so no need to starve fishes and coral
8. If you are...stop dosing anything other than calcium, alk, and mag for 6 weeks

Good luck
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 9:30am
Thanks bur01014....If the sand method is a failure I may try your method. This method is basically a kill it and removal method but I just am too chicken to go 3 days lights out with so many sps even though, yes, I have read many have done this with success but I am open to trying it before chemicals.

1. Lights out complete black out for three days, cover tank  (I have siphoned it out but clearly it is not as successful as killing it all with no light)
2. Crank up skimmer to skim really wet starting day one and wait until skimmate turns red on day 3(While not done in conjunction with step one above I have done this after I have stirred it up off the sand and or siphoned and the cyano is green but maybe its red when dead) 
3. Add some gfo on day 1, change out day 4 (I run gfo at all times both it its own reactor as well as mixed in with my carbon but I understand your recommendations are related to the lights out method in step 1)
4. Baste or maxi jet all the rock/ sand on day 4 (I have never had it on my rocks)
6. Remain good tank husbandry so this effort doesn't turn into a bandaid, run small amounts of carbon and gfo continuously (I always run both GAC and GFO)
7. Continue feeding as normal, cyano still thrives in low nutrient environment so no need to starve fishes and coral
8. If you are...stop dosing anything other than calcium, alk, and mag for 6 weeks (I only dose Ca & Alk)

Thanks again to all for their comments and suggestions.
65g Reef
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 3:55pm
again, I say USE UTAH SAND AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!  Do NOT care what anyone preaches, Utah sand is contaminated with metals and arsenic.    I get real tired of the preaching we should all be using Utah sand.  Several people that are real well known around this valley say the same thing about Utah sand.  I think that contaminated crap should stay out around Stansbury island where it belongs!!!
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 4:20pm
Funny you just posted this bmac, as I placed an order through BRS for a 5 pound bag for $15 of oolite sand earlier today as I was already placing a large order and knew it would be here before I could see Mark. I do think his idea and experince of using that type of sand (not necessarily utah oolite) can work/ help me as when I had nano's before that had oolite sand at the bottom I never had cyano, dinos, etc., and I didn't even have a skimmer, gfo, macro, had low flow, used just ro water not ro/di and this could have been due to Mark's points. 

Edited by Bryce - February 27 2014 at 4:24pm
65g Reef
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 4:36pm
I am not the only one who has had issues playing with Utah sand.  Saving 100 bucks trying to use Utah sand cost me probably well over 1000 dollars worth of coral loss, crashes, etc.  As soon as I took that sand out and put some bought sand in, my tank took off and is doing better than it ever has.  With GOOD clean sand and Benepets coral food, my corals are taking off!!!  Utah sand is right up there with Lunar Wrasse and Domino Damsels.  All three things I would rather have my privates amputated than to allow in my house or within a MILE of my tank.  I am passionate about everyone quit listening to the preaching about good old Utah sand and quit play Russian Roulette!!!

Someone ask ReefdUp about the soil samples she has tested in Utah from all over that area.  Ask her how much arsenic is in Utah sand. 

Some posts on this board are starting to sound like broken records and snake oil salesman. UTAH SAND IS THE DEVIL!!!!  Don't listen to anyone preaching it!!!!  They are leading you the path to purgatory, with that paved with good intentions crap!!!!
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 4:42pm
So your saying you don't like Utah sand???? Wink
65g Reef
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Bryce Bryce wrote:

Thanks bur01014....If the sand method is a failure I may try your method. This method is basically a kill it and removal method but I just am too chicken to go 3 days lights out with so many sps even though, yes, I have read many have done this with success but I am open to trying it before chemicals.

1. Lights out complete black out for three days, cover tank  (I have siphoned it out but clearly it is not as successful as killing it all with no light)
2. Crank up skimmer to skim really wet starting day one and wait until skimmate turns red on day 3(While not done in conjunction with step one above I have done this after I have stirred it up off the sand and or siphoned and the cyano is green but maybe its red when dead) 
3. Add some gfo on day 1, change out day 4 (I run gfo at all times both it its own reactor as well as mixed in with my carbon but I understand your recommendations are related to the lights out method in step 1)
4. Baste or maxi jet all the rock/ sand on day 4 (I have never had it on my rocks)
6. Remain good tank husbandry so this effort doesn't turn into a bandaid, run small amounts of carbon and gfo continuously (I always run both GAC and GFO)
8. If you are...stop dosing anything other than calcium, alk, and mag for 6 weeks (I only dose Ca & Alk)

Thanks again to all for their comments and suggestions.

the only thing to really watch out for during a blackout...

ph
and alk swings due to decrease in calcification

bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 4:59pm
lookin at your pics again, honestly, a good size conch is probably all you need....corals look good, not sure I would do anything crazy...

sometimes time is the best treatment....a lot of my algae issues have resolve on their own throughout time....2 year mark seems to be the breaking point of greatness for tank maturity...

Edited by bur01014 - February 27 2014 at 5:01pm
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 5:08pm
Yea it not an infestation by any means at all and I'm not in a hurry to do anything drastic, I will simply very slowly start adding in a little more finer sand to my sand bed layers and see how things go, as all of know usually good things do not happen fast in this hobby. I did have a conch but he went awol for over 2 months but some people say they will do that and then show up with a shinny new shell.
65g Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 6:22pm
Judging from your picture, I'm guessing you have 2-3" of sand. I have a very difficult time believing that adding a little sand from the Utah desert will somehow be more beneficial or productive then the entire rest of your sand bed is or was. As an "extreme hobbyist" myself, I don't always give all the details and background to a remedy I found successful. With that said, it seems like you've tried every know remedy (excluding the snake oil bmac2 refers to) for the generally success of ridding your tank of cyano, just as I had. When they didn't work, I utilized ChemiClean. This took care of the problem instantly. 

Let us know how that magic sand works. If for some unknown reason it doesn't, try some garlic oil. 

Edited by DLindquist - February 28 2014 at 7:10am

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 6:38pm
I agree with most of the points above...

I would NOT use Utah sand. I have personally conducted soil analyses around several parts of the state and worked with several of Utah state environmental folks...there are some seriously nasty chemicals around. Arsenic, selenium, tons of cadmium...not to mention human contaminates (hexavalent chromium).

To me, it sounds like you are in the same bind I was years ago...seemed to bedoing everything right (good husbandry), yet the cyano lingered on. It boiled down to not having enough bacterial diversity to outcompete the cyano...caused by using nearly all dry rock and sand. I dosed bacteria for a few weeks...and GONE!
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 7:03pm
Hi DLindquist, hope I didnt post anything to discredit that chemiclean works and could fix the issue. I have read many threads that it works and it does give me comfort to know it works for local hobbyists simple fact is I just want to try everything possible before I go that route, I dont think oolite sand is magic but if I can get some non Utah sand for $15 to see if it helps im willing to give it a shot, like you mentioned I've tried everything except additional sand, lights out, and Chemiclean. I also moved my wrasse down to sump so my cuc can actually come out and im going to add a bunch of nassarius snails as I really only get it in a few areas and it hasn't "taken over" in all the time ive had it. If I do go chemiclean route it would be awesome to gets some tips on using it successfully and if the directions or dose needs to be modified in anyway. Thanks
65g Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic