Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How is this even possible?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How is this even possible?
    Posted: March 02 2014 at 9:45am
I woke up this morning to this. Fish not moved at all for taking a picture. That's exactly how I found it.  It's a yellow fin fairy wrasse about 3 inches long. The gap between the two glass tops is only about 1/4 inch. there's about a 1" x 1" corner in the back where the powerhead cords go through but other than that, it's solid glass. There's nothing in the tank to even spook it or chase it. If anything, this fish was terrorizing the other Anthiases I have during feeding time. It just blows my mind how it ended up here. The last time I even removed the glass top was 2 days ago. 

Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 10:06am
I'm sure he jumped through that gap.  They are masters at it and if there is any way they can get out, they will.  No doubt in my mind.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 10:31am
wow. I really underestimated their ability then. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 10:37am
Just looking at your picture tells me he could of easily gotten through there.  He may not of made it the first few times he tried, but he definately made it through on his LAST time of his life.  Sorry for your loss.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 11:10am
It looks like it is (past) time for a better top or fish with less ambition.

Sorry for your loss Jared.

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 11:26am
When there is a will there is a way. Wrasses are masters at suicide.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 12:04pm
Murphy's Law 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 5:41am
Sorry for the loss.
To have found that way out, the Fairy Wrasse was jumping dozens of times daily/nightly. That indicates a problem with it's environment. It was jumping to get to a better place. In the wild they don't typically jump out of the water unless they got caught in a stagnant tidal pool where jumping is the only way out.

Glass covers are not healthy for the reef aquarium environment. I would ask how is this tanks environment for a fish? Is it comfortable or uncomfortable? What kind of fish would be comfortable there? If the environment is fish friendly, a fish has no need to jump.

What other fish are in this tank Question and may we see a pic of the entire tank Question

At the very least I would remove the glass cover immediately and look into possibly using a screen cover.

Removing the glass cover will have a major effect on gas exchange. Improved gas exchange allows pH to be where it is supposed to be. Improved gas exchange allows more O2 in the water and less CO2. Everything breathes easier, is healthier and happier with more O2 and better pH.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 9:22am
It is a mystery for sure why he would be so bent on getting out. I have been sitting at my computer next to the tank for hours on end at all times of the day and never noticed him jumping or trying to jump before. Could it have been a recent event that stressed it overnight? Possibly. I did notice yesterday when I tested that my salinity was getting too low (about 30ppm) but other than a single SPS frag that RTN'd overnight, nothing else appears to be stressed out with the livestock in the tank. Hopefully it's not an early indicator of problems. Everything else that I've tested seems normal. Calcium a bit high at 490 but it's been higher than that for a while now and I'm slowly bringing it down. Alkalinity is now at 9.4ish and Mag at 1320. 0 Nitrates and 0 Ammonia. Temp is constant at 78 degrees. 0 Phosphates last time I checked. I'm running a GFO and Carbon reactor with a refugium and really good protein skimmer. 

As far as tank mates go, here's what I've got in the tank currently. And FYI, I've never noticed him being bothered by anything. As mentioned before, he's the one that's been chasing the Anthiases but only when I feed. 
2 very small clowns.
1 small red scooter blenny.
1 disbar anthias, 1 sunburst anthias, 1 bartlett anthias
1 purple firefish
1 small randall's goby with candy stripe pistol shrimp
3 sexy shrimp
1 fire shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
1 large tiger pistol shrimp
possibly an Auroro goby still alive that I've never seen. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 9:35am
Wrasses also jump when they are trying to attract a mate and during the mating process. Maybe your fish felt that 'urge'.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 7:24pm
Mark, since you asked, here's a video of my tank. 

Edited by peiji - March 03 2014 at 7:57pm
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 8:22pm
Beautiful tank Jared! I especially like the Sexy shrimp and the tunnel though the back of the tank.

Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 8:33pm
Awesome Tank!!

Life is good....right?
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 8:41pm
the two pistol shrimp do some major rearranging from time to time. The tank really looks better under the blue lights with all the zoas I have. I just can't take decent photos or video under those lights. 

Edited by peiji - March 03 2014 at 8:46pm
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 8:48pm
Looking nice Jared!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 9:35pm
Thanks for the video. Well aquascaped for sure. The video gives a couple brief glimpses of things that I believe make a huge difference to tank health and stability.
Continuing where I left off above...
- I can say for certain that glass cover is keeping pH lower than it ought to be, especially at night when algae is not using CO2 and not producing O2 but animals are still breathing O2 and respiring CO2. We usually talk about pH only in terms of coral and fish deaths, but as pH falls below where it should be, it causes distress and other environmental problems without immediately killing fish and coral.
- The glassy water surface in this tank makes the water surface hard to see, especially in the dark from directly below. This makes an anxious Wrasse  even more likely to leave the confines of it's pond.
- The powerheads are not pointed up breaking the water surface. This also means that dissolved O2 is not as high as it ought to be. Add to that the fact that the water has practically no contact with fresh air, my opinion is that this tank is balancing on the edge of a problem. I believe you were on the right track, hinting about your suspicions when you said above, "...an early indicator of problems." (Personally, I would be very concerned if a power outage occurred before I had a chance to remove the cover and point the powerheads at the center water surface.)

Put yourself in the shoes, so to speak, of your Wrasse. If the Wrasse was anxious to find a companion, as Nikki posed, then any other imbalance in its environment only served to send it over the edge. When you, it's owner, were near the tank food entered the water which temporarily pacified it to a certain extent. (I believe that fish are also smarter than we give them credit.) It saw what happened when the glass was moved aside for feeding and when you worked in the tank. It knows there is something else out there. It has probably noticed the space in the cover and may have even aimed for that spot.

As always, I believe fish are more content when the tank is closer to their natural environment. Many of the fish and most of that coral may not be in the Wrasses natural environment. Also, in it's natural environment food is available for the hunting. In our tanks, living food is soon eaten up. But what's this? Tasty food comes in from above the cover! It should not surprise us that, fish that can jump, will jump in an effort to find that food. Hence the logic for installing a screen cover.

I'm pretty sure that I will be seen as ridiculous by some readers for the views I have expressed above. That's okay. I try to be as responsible a hobbyist as possible following my understanding of our WMAS Mission Statement.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 03 2014 at 10:06pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by peiji peiji wrote:

It is a mystery for sure why he would be so bent on getting out. I have been sitting at my computer next to the tank for hours on end at all times of the day and never noticed him jumping or trying to jump before.
Ask dog owners what a dog can do to the house when they are away. Surely you have noticed how your fish react to your presence? I'm reminded of the movie Toy Story.
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 10:27am
I'll have to work on making a screen cover. Might take a while. I don't want to detract from the rimless look. I still don't think i should risk removing the glass cover until I do. I have too many expensive jumpers to risk another loss. 

Anyone know where I can get clear netting locally? I know I can buy some from BRS. 

Also Mark, you mentioned my powerheads weren't pointed at the surface. They actually are but perhaps I should move them up so they are breaking the surface more? 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 11:29am
The aquarium has a huge roll of the screen. You'll just have to remind them of it. Should be upstairs.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 3:41pm
Perfectly understandable about not wanting to risk losing more fish until the screen is installed. It was Tileman/Brad that first located this material and offered it to us locally. He might have some left. Also do a search here because just a month ago I remember someone saying that they had extra.

Yes, point the powerheads more vertically at the surface. I could be wrong but the water surface I saw in the video was not being agitated. The powerhead on the right side looked to me like it was more horizontal than vertical. My rimless tanks each have a single powerhead at the bottom back which does the job very nicely (but these tanks don't have a pile of rock in the center).

I'm thinking that until a screen top is added or as a permanent option, consider using a small fan to blow fresh air into the space between the glass cover and the water via the slit or the back hole where the wires enter.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic