Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canopy/Fixture Suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
J2 digital View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2 digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canopy/Fixture Suggestion
    Posted: March 10 2014 at 8:09pm

Hey everyone I hope this is the right place to post this, if not my bad. I'm curious if anyone has suggestions on a way for me to raise my LEDS above my 10 a little bit. It came with hooks to hang from the ceiling but I'm renting an apartment and I don't think that would fly :/. I know that Dion makes a really good canopy for just about any tank size but I'm not wanting to spend a lot and am really not looking for anything fancy. I have some planks I could take to Lowe's to get cut but I'm not really sure where to start. They are Chinese LEDS off eBay and I know they are overkill but I have them dialed back a bit, Also I plan to use them on a bigger size tank I'll get eventually. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance! - Jason  (ps I'll have to post pictures later but will do so as soon as I can)

xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 11:28am
I used 1/2 inch steel wire conduit. Find someone who has a bender and bend one end 90*. Then cut the other end to length to get the desired height. Then attach to tank stand. Hang light. That's what I did.
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 6:20pm
I install shelf brackets on the wall above the tank using Molly Bolts in the drywall or grabber screws into a wall stud(if available).  It only takes one Molly bolt/grabber screw per bracket. Then I hang the light with the hanging kit or with decorative chain and "S" hooks. That way I can raise or lower the light to any height. Apartment managers don't care about Molly Bolts because they are hardly noticable when the shelf, bracket and bolt are removed.
I have extra chain, screws and Molly Bolts I'll give you, and when you come over you can see how it's done. I have 3 light fixtures installed this way for 4 of my 6 tanks comprising a ~200 gal coral farming system.

Aloha Hug
808-345-1049 in Murray

Molly Bolt

shelf brackets

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 1:09pm
If you choose to use the bent conduit i will bend it for you. Might even have the conduit for free.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic