Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wp 40 or wp 25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wp 40 or wp 25
    Posted: March 11 2014 at 9:05pm
so i am looking to by a new pump.. i have a 90 gal tank with about 50lbs of rock in the display.. so i am wondering.. should i go with one wp 40 or two wp 25's.. from what i have read the one wp may be able to provide sufficient flow in my tank.. i have also read that having two 25's that i can alternate with the controller will be sufficient as well... i was thinking if i do the wp 40 i can have my other pumps in the tank and run them at night to provide a tide pool effect and allow my corals and fish to relax.. i can do the same with two 25's having them ramp down at night and run a different program rather than the wave maker.. the cost is comparable.. thoughts or ideas.. 
getting fishy??
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 9:42pm
Two 25s
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Erikts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 9:46pm
I have 2 wp25s in my 90. I really like them. I think they would be even better with the new controler. I have considered building the cable and running them with my apex. But the 2 pumps create great flow and the night mode is nice to provide the calm for the fish and corals.
34G solana
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 11:06pm
Check out Bob's tank in the video he just posted a couple days ago. He has a 90 gallon and runs 2 wp40s (one on each side) but alternates them so only 1 is going at a time. In the video he said (and you can see) 1 provides ample flow.
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 3:29pm
yeah.. I am think I am going to look into the 25's.. if they have the night sensor I think I will go with them.. well if I can find a pair with one controller.. I have yet to find just the pump without the controller.. any one know where I can.. for a reasonable price
getting fishy??
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 3:35pm
Look in our BuySell Forum for the group buy thread on these pumps

Jebao now sells a 'package' with 2 pumps and a new style controller that runs both pumps with the one controller.

That is what you are looking for.
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 3:58pm
I wouldn't rely on the night sensor.  They don't last.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 4:41pm
Slowing the flow at night is not natural. The ocean does not slow down at night. The animals know how to deal with water movement at night. They find a calmer place to sleep. There should be plenty of places like that in our aquascaping.

In fact, it's my opinion that slowing the flow at night is counter productive.  Photosynthesis stops at night which drops pH. For that reason, we need to make sure that flow is giving the water good exposure to the air surface. Good gas exchange at night helps the water expel CO2 and absorb O2. This gives the animals enough O2 to breathe and keeps pH within proper range 8.0-8.3.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 5:20pm
thanks for the info mark!! good to know!
getting fishy??
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 5:27pm
I would have to disagree with mark, depending on the night (excluding stormy nights) the ocean does calm at night. I have dove the same place during the day and then at night and felt the surge difference. Mark you have lived on the coast, you never noticed the waves calming significantly at night?

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 11:18pm
Nope.

This shouldn't be made into a big deal, but think about the fact that ocean currents and wave action are very powerful compared to the lame currents we create in our aquariums. Reducing the flow from these powerheads is not really a positive thing. Rather it is a marketing concept that appeals to our human desire for nighttime calm and quiet. If I'm not mistaken, the nighttime setting on wavemakers brings it down only about 10%. Go ahead and do it if you want, it's not a big deal.

In the tropics, storms and seasonal changes (winter brings rougher seas) make the water flow heavy any time, night or day.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 8:22am
I'm with Mark on this one... I'm all for high flow at night.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 8:38am
Anecdotal I know, but switched to maintaining high flow at night about two months ago and my nitrate levels have dropped substantially.  This is corresponding to my skimmer pulling out a lot more crud out of the tank.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic