Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CO2 scrubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CO2 scrubber
    Posted: March 12 2014 at 12:59pm
Seen a post awhile back about a c02 scrubber and was wondering if anyone could chime in on a DIY scrubber and the media that is used . Thanks
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 3:05pm
I have one I made on my tank.  All you need is pelletized lime. You can buy the expensive lime that is designed to be used for scuba tank filling, which the biggest advantage to that is it has very uniform pellet size, which means it packs better. 

Reality, any lime will absorb CO2, but you can't use powder, it has to be in pellets.  I put a tube to the air intake of my scrubber, put the tube in the top of a sports drinking bottle I bought at DI for 50 cents, then drilled a ton of tiny holes witha drillbit in the bottom of the drink container.  Filled the inside with the pelletized lime you buy at Home Depot in the garden section.  I think it is somehting like 6 bucks and it is enough to fill my drink container 4 or 5 times. 

all you want is to split the air so it goes around the pellets.  the more surface contact with the air you have and the lime pellets, the better it will scrub.   You are NOT putting it in the water, just taking stuff out of the air, so the exact type of lime pellets are much less critical.

Lowes did NOT have any pellet lime, Home Depot was the only one I found.  I got mine at the Home Depot on Redwood and 90th south.

below is some cell pics of my massively cool uber scrubber, DI price sticker still on bottle!!!

Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 3:07pm
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Espoma-6-75-lb-Garden-Lime-100508617/203192761#specifications

in the bright green bag in that picutre.  5 bucks a bag.

Mac
Stand by Dion
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 7:15pm
Don't bash me to hard for asking but why do you need this?  How does it help the tank?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 7:22pm
Usually people add a co2 scrubber to the intake of their skimmers to boost the tanks ph.

Edited by Ann_A - March 12 2014 at 7:58pm
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 7:34pm
Lewy,

My 300 gallon tank is in my basement.  So there is not a lot of flow of air, and CO2 is heavier than air, so it tends to collect at the low point of a house.  So the air intake of your skimmer is sucking in air from the surroundings, so if your house is closed up, tank in a part of your house without a lot of outside air flow, then you will get low pH.  CO2 when dissolved in water drops the pH.  I had real trouble keeping my pH where it needs to be until I put my little scrubber on.  It make about a 0.5 change in my pH for the good.  IF you don't have a lot of CO2 and your pH is fine, you don't need it.
Stand by Dion
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 8:58pm
Thank you very much for the info.  I may have to try that out.  My tank is also in my basement and PH is normally a bit low 7.6 or so.  I started using pickling lime in my top off and it's helped but only to about 7.8 to 8.0.  again thanks.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 12:10am
Thanks everyone. I was going to add this to intake on my skimmer also.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 10:57am
Here is why Im choosing to try this ..... I live in a apt and dont have a ton of space . When my PH dropped lower than I like I ran a air lne to the outside for fresh air and hooked it up to my intake air on my skimmer ,this raised my PH from 7.7 to 8.23 . My alk is always around 9.1-9.5 After moving to a new tank the option of fresh air from outside option presents a few issues for me so wanted to try a scrubber. 
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 11:37am
sounds like the perfect application of my DI 50 cent bottle with a piece of tubing and the cheap lime pellets from HOme depot.  I have less than 7 dollars total in my scrubber including enough lime to run it for months and months.
Stand by Dion
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic