Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt's Tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matt's Tank
    Posted: March 13 2014 at 4:56pm
I have been out of the hobby for about 3 years and am just now getting back in to it. I am Mike Savage's kid and I don't usually post a whole lot. I usually just call dad for advice. I am currently in the building stage and thought I should get a thread going for my tank.

My tank is being custom built by Eric at Aquarium Creations it is a 36"x36"x30" eurobraced glass tank with a PVC bottom and a corner overflow. I will be running a herbie setup on this tank. Dion at DriftWood Aquarium Furniture is building a custom stand for my tank. My stand is going to be 29" tall with removable panels and a lacquered black finish. My tank is going in the corner between my two couches instead of and end table so I can be up close and personal with it.

I am going to use egg crate and pond foam to make some false walls with rock and sand attached to it since I only have 2 viewable sides. I am also going to attach some rock to the overflow. I have 30 lbs of dry rubble for that. I also have 90 lbs of Fiji live rock curing in my garage. I have another 50 lbs of dry Fiji rock, 20 lbs of dry Tonga shelf, 20 lbs of Tonga multibranch, and 10 Lbs of Tonga single branch rock. I will be using 200 lbs of Caribsea Super Reef sand to get ~4" sand bed.

Hardware:
Bubble Magus Curve 7 skimmer
2x Vortech MP 10 es powerheads
Finnex Titanium 800w heater
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
2x AI Hydra 52s LED lights
AI Director light controller
Neptune Aqua Controller III

Currently don't have a sump as I am waiting on my stand to take some measurements and think about how I want it in the stand.

Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 5:04pm
Sweet! How many gallons is that size?

J
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 5:10pm
168 gallons

Matt Savage

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 5:29pm
Awesome! Is there a reason you went with mp 10 instead of something a bit bigger? I only ask because I use an mp 10 on my 38g just not sure if they will be enough for as large of a tank as you have.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 5:31pm
I was wondering the same thing Jackie! 

J
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 5:33pm
Yeah I didn't want to use a 40 for double the price and then turn it way down since the tank is only 3 feet long.
Matt Savage

Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 5:34pm
Also I don't want wires in the tank so WP25 wouldn't work since im doing the false back. MP25 were discontinued in 2010 so they are out as well.
Matt Savage

badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 5:37pm
Is your glass 1/2"? Cause I thought mp10 won't fit on 1/2" glass
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 5:46pm
Matt, I use 2 MP40s on my RSM 250 which is about 39" long. I have them both running at about 80%
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 6:02pm
Sounds like it is going to be a very nice setup Matt.  Can't wait to see it up and running.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 6:06pm

Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

Matt, I use 2 MP40s on my RSM 250 which is about 39" long. I have them both running at about 80%

Dayyyummm! That's a lot of flow Ann.

65g Reef
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 6:17pm
I am using 2 mp10 on my frag tank for 2 years now and it is 1/2 glass. They hold pretty good, not as well as the mp40 but i haven't had any problems with mine.

Edited by Aquarium Creations - March 13 2014 at 6:18pm
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by badfinger badfinger wrote:

Is your glass 1/2"? Cause I thought mp10 won't fit on 1/2" glass

Yes 1/2" glass. I know it says up to 3/8 or they could fall. There is no way anyone could knock them and if I have to build a shelf on the outside to hold it I will.
Matt Savage

Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 7:37pm
So here are my sides that I built out of egg crate pond foam and rock. I still need to rough up the pond foam a bit get rid of the bubbles before I can epoxy and add sand to make it look a bit more natural. Cell phone pics and black plastic background makes for terrible pictures.

This first one is side ways. I couldn't get it to stay rotated 90 degrees clockwise. It goes in front of my corner overflow.

This going to be on the left side of the overflow

And this one goes on the right side of my overflow.

Matt Savage

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 8:03pm
Oh, man it looks SO MUCH BETTER in person!

Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 9:11am

[email protected]

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 9:17am
SWEET!

Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 9:22am
I need it!!!! Just waiting on clips for my stand.
Matt Savage

Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 11:40am
When ever your ready.. Thumbs Up
[email protected]

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 3:17pm
WE see a delivery date for clips of either friday or monday.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic