Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powder Brown Tang

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powder Brown Tang
    Posted: March 26 2014 at 9:53am
I've been reading about Powder Brown Tangs, and they are listed as a very passive tang that should only be kept with other gentler tangs-- what would those be? The only other tang I'm considering would be a blue hippo, and I would introduce them together. Thoughts?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 10:19am
Super delicate fish. Even I would not try one. They get picked on by anything, stress, disease and die.

Be really careful.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 10:49am
I added one to my tank a while back. He kept picking on my Lt. Tang which was in the tank before him and a little bigger than him. Only took a couple weeks until it started showing signs of ick and I eventually lost it to ick.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 9:57am
I agree. It's like buying a fish just to watch it die a very early death. It would be nice to hear from someone that has had a Powder Brown or Powder Blue for longer than a year. Anyone?

Having plenty of live growing Macroalgae helps immensely to making Tangs feel comfortable and happy.

Oh and I should add another thought regarding these tangs, and in this I also include the Convict Tang. They are extremely social fish. In the wild they live in large shoals(schools). When we bring that one lone fish into our tank, it gets Ich and/or suddenly just passes away. It's my belief that it may actually be dieing of loneliness for it's kind. One of the reasons I believe this is that when I added a Convict Tang to my system, it immediately swam with the Mollies. SmileYes, I have salt water Mollies in my system. I noticed the Convict had a definite affinity toward other passive grazing fish. This Convict Tang seems to be doing well. It has been in the system for almost a year but I cannot explain why it has grown little, even though it grazes all day on a field of Macroalgae.

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 28 2014 at 10:21am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 10:47am
I don't have experience with powder browns but I have had a powder blue for over 2 years now. My first powder blue contracted ich within 2 months and was dead within another month. My second powder blue, the one I have now, has survived 3 rounds of ich and 1 encounter with marine velvet. I don't do anything special for him other than feeding new era mini marine grazers (algae disks) every few days, but my angel and trigger also benefit from that. I feed frozen everyday along with flakes and pellets every few days. All of the food is soaked in selcon prior to feeding. So far this powder blue has been my most aggressive fish. Anything that goes into the tank has to be the same size or bigger than him and has to be at least somewhat aggressive. He's my favorite fish but he's also a huge pain due to the aggression. I would advise against getting any powder tang because they usually are very disease-prone and die quickly in captivity. If you get one to live like I have, it will probably become very aggressive IMHO.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic