Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corals Dying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corals Dying
    Posted: March 29 2014 at 4:28pm
Recently, my acans seemed to die and appeared to melt. My SPS all died too. Now, one of my torch corals is doing the same thing. All of my perimeters are good. Any suggestions on what to do or maybe the cause of this problem?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 5:30pm
Do you know for sure that your hydrometer/refractometer is reading correctly and doesn't need to be recalibrated?

JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 5:37pm
What are your water parameters? That seems a broad range or coral to be effected by much other than water or light. 
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 6:04pm
What kind of light?
What are your levels at?
How old is the tank?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 6:55pm
Sorry to read of the loss of so much coral.
Originally posted by Boston Boston wrote:

All of my perimeters are good.
If we are to help, we need more than this, specifically we need to know the big four parameters:
Salinity (as already requested)
Temperature
Alkalinity
Calcium

Also, did something get in the water? For example, a cleaning chemical, a penny, a childs toy, etc.

Did something in the tank die?

Are the fish okay?

Do a large water change and call me for help.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit anytime
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 9:36pm
The tank is four months old and is the Red Sea Max S-500. I switched from the Red Sea Max 250 to this new one. I've been in the hobby for several years and haven't seen any my corals die in such a short time. It has the 10 T5s and my hydrometer is only a few months old. All of the fish are doing well and I did a 25% water change two weeks ago. I have a UV sterilizer on the tank. A month ago, I battled Ich in the tank, but no signs of it in the past few weeks. I used the Fish Vet Ich medicine and everything seemed okay when using it. Now, after the last water change seems to be when the problem started occurring. 
Temp 82 degrees
Salinity 1.023
Alkalinity 2.5/7.0
Calcium 330
Magnesium 1000
PH 8.2

Edited by Boston - March 29 2014 at 9:37pm
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 9:52pm
Your parameters are all pushing edges

Temp should be 80 82 is okay but pushing edges
Salinity should be 1.024-1.026
Alk should be 7 at the lowest 8 gives you room of error
Magnesium should be around 1300
Calcium should be around 415
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 9:53pm
Maybe copper got into your system? Or as mark said a cleaner or something maybe in the bucket you ised
Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 9:59pm
One other interesting thing is my fungi went from green to real light green almost white color, but seems to be doing fine. I have duncans, zoos, torch corals, clam, coco worm, and other LPS are doing fine. I haven't used anything that has copper so, this is still strange to me. My levels in the tank are such as calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and ph are usually higher. I always test my tank on sundays to see what/how much of the additives I need to add.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 10:10pm
But maybe your carbon might have had some... have heard of a few batches that have had copper
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 10:43pm
If your levels are usually higher and your temp a few degrees lower than I wonder what made them change this week. Have you made any recent changes? New media? New equipment?
As BadFinger said, your levels are borderline. Things would turn bad slowly with borderline levels in my opinion.
Rather than trying to bring your levels up with dosing I would do a 50% water change and lower the temp to 78.
Keep us posted.
Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 10:49pm
I shut my heater off last week and my tank seems to maintain itself between 80-82 with it off. I will do a water change tomorrow and get my parameters back up to where they belong. Thanks for all of the help!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 1:53pm
I would still check the refractometer. I recalibrate mine every month. Usually it is fine but every one in a while it isn't.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Boston Boston wrote:

hydrometer is only a few months old.
Unfortunately that does not give us any indication of its accuracy. New Hydrometers need to be checked/calibrated against a known salinity.

If turning off (unplugging?)the heater resulted in temperatures at 80-82, what was the afternoon temperature with the heater on and for how long was it that way?

I agree that temp is too high while every other parameter is too low. Several variables can combine to cause problems that would not have happened if only one variable went off. After a few months with these levels at or weekly falling to those values, it wouldn't take much of a single variable change like a short rise over 82 degrees to start the domino effect of corals passing away. As they die the N pollution rises, giving way to further stress and death by increased Ammonia and Nitrate. Unfortunately, without more details, all we can offer is conjecture. A pic of the tank may help.

Here is my opinion about these parameters:
Salinity is best at 1.024-1.026
Temperature is best, and safest, at 75-78 but can be anywhere between 70-80 without any problems
Alk should be kept at 8-12 dKH, preferably close to 10
Ca should be kept at 350-500, preferably close to 450
Mg 1200-1400
Daytime pH is okay between 8.0 and 8.4
Nighttime pH is best if kept above 7.80

As I am writing this, some things come to mind. Just throwing out possibilities to see where they land:
- pH problems? What is the water flow in this tank and in what direction or was there a power outage?
- Any new product is suspect, even if it is reef safe.
- Any change in procedure is suspect.
- Did the coral start dieing all at once or was it a cascade of one type and then another?
- I've seen medications work differently in different tanks and frankly I don't trust a medication that claims to kill one invertebrate yet causes no harm to other invertebrates. (Garlic Oil works very well for me. It is a natural Ich inhibitor.)
- If things went south after a water change then I would wonder if something got into the bucket when I wasn't looking.
- Was it a completely new salt mix? Problems with not gradually acclimating to a new salt mix have caused coral deaths.

My 2 cents.
Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 30 2014 at 11:38pm
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 11:58pm
Check your thermometer.. it could be broken
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 7:58am
Originally posted by phys phys wrote:

Check your thermometer.. it could be broken

Yes, that's a simple first test and that high of a temp without supplemental heating seems strange unless you have a lot of metal halide lighting.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 8:45am
Easiest way to check is to dunk it in a glass of crushed ice with enough water to cover the ice. The thermometer should read very close to 32*F. (It amazes me how many people don't do this.)
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 9:29am
Good call Paul. Thumbs Up
Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 10:51pm
My tank stays at 80 degrees with the lights off at night, but will be 82.4 during the day with the 10 T5s on. I've heard SPS has a tough time with temps over 81 degrees. I'm looking at buying a chiller to get it down to 78 degrees. It seems a few other people with the Red Sea Max S 500 had to add a chiller too. All of my other corals seem to be thriving.
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:39pm
If you don't have a fan on your sump you could add one. Cheaper than a chiller.
Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic