Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kalk refresh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xessive force View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kalk refresh
    Posted: March 31 2014 at 3:02pm
Question for all you Kalk top off dosers:

I have started to add some kalk to my top off water, I keep 6 gallons of ro water in a 7 gallon bucket.  I added a kalk solution I made mixed up in a smaller container to a full bucket.  I added two teaspoons of mix to the six gallons.  Wanted to start off with a fairly week solution.  My top off bucket is starting to get a little low maybe 2.5 gallons or so to go until its empty.  I would like to add some more RO water to it in the next day or two but I am unsure of how to add the new water to the container that still has the left over stuff at the bottom that settled out. 

Do I need to clean out my top off bucket each time?  Or do I add enough kalk mix just for the added amount of water?  So for example one teaspoon because I am putting three gallons in and just add it to the existing bucket?  Maybe clean it out once a month or something?? 

How do you all go about refreshing your Kalk top off??
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that's why they call it the present.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 3:17pm
I did about the same thing in my ATO. Kalk settles out pretty quickly and a proper doser has a mixer in the bottom. What's left over is likely some kalk with whatever impurities are in the powder. I just topped off with mixed kalk water and cleaned out the ATO container about once a month when it got low again.

As a side light, I was not too happy with kalkwasser. It was good for the pH and Ca addition, but hard on the pumps and sides of the sump. I had at least one pump or powerhead in vinegar soaking the Ca off of it always. It was like taxes, it never ended, just kept coming. I changed over to two part and have been MUCH happier with the results.

Fat
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 6:47pm
Keven makes a good point that begs the question, "Why use Kalkwasser?"

There are times and ways that I use it, but I consider it not only troublesome, but dangerous to use Kalkwasser as top off water, unless all top-off is being done over the course of 3-6 hours during the night. It's dangerous because to add Kalkwasser during the day might raise pH too high during the day, a time when pH is already at an optimum level.

It can also be wasteful. The CaCO3 which crystallized on the surfaces was the very Alk and Ca which Kalkwasser was supposed to deliver to the living organisms. Wacko

Oh, and to give a preliminary answer to the OP question, what is done next depends on how strong of a Kalkwasser solution is to be delivered and at what rate.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 31 2014 at 6:51pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic