Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Slime

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ttreef1.16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttreef1.16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Slime
    Posted: April 11 2014 at 1:15pm
I have a Red Sea Max 34gal. and am having a major red slime out break. i have checked all levels, the only thing that was a little high was my ammonia, did a water change and its under control now. what should i do?
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 1:26pm
hermit crabs and snails? and from what I,ve read just keep your lights on as minimally as possible while your algae crew eats it all up.

but im sure others will have better solutions
Blub Blub
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 2:44pm
Dose red slime remover be careful though there is two types one is safe for corals the other isn't most tanks will get a little cyano this time off the year not really sure why they do but it is very common to have an outbreak just as the weather starts to warm back up.
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 3:35pm
I too am having the same problem, came back from vaca for a week to all my glass covered in maroon algae....  About to move everything to the 90g should i clean it or just not worry if im looking to move things this weekend or next...
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 8:31pm
Just clean things as you move them.

Agreed, Spring is sometimes Cyanobacteria time. Unhappy

It's one of the earth's oldest organisms.

Check out the great discussion about eliminating the red slime cyano in the Reefkeeping Tips linked below:
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 8:48pm

mark u have a mind that remembers everything?

Edited by Jeremyw - April 12 2014 at 8:13pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 9:55pm
LOL Only the important things.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 12:13am
Ammonia should read 0. If your reading Ammonia somethings not right, the tank is not cycled, something has died, livestock added to quickly, over feeding, ect.
Low water flow/dead spots and old light bulbs can also contribute to slime algae. 
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 7:43pm
^^^^ Agreed ^^^^^^

Edited by builderofdreams - April 12 2014 at 7:47pm
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 7:26am
If you can get a turkey baster and blow it all off making sure most of it goes into the overflow/filter, then increase the flow with powerhead(s). Worked like a charm for my biocube! :)
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 8:21am
Conchs work great for the sand bed.
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 4:15pm
Also maracyn for saltwater
dose great on red slime.
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 6:16pm
Hey guys I too just went through a Cyano bloom. My issue was that when I upgraded from a 55 to a 90 Ga I continued to use the same amount of carbon and Phosguard. I doubled the amount of phosguard and it took about a week for the Cyano to disappear. My sand was completely covered with thick red slime and now it's gone.

A couple of noteworthy items I found while researching how to remove this.
- Be careful with some of the Cyano removers as they may require you to remove carbon, add an air stone and turn off your skimmer.
- Cyano is a unique algae that can live with low nitrates but thrives on phosphates.
- There are 2 types of phosphates, organic & inorganic. Our typical phosphate test kits only measure one of them (I can't remember which one).
- Macroalgae only removes phosphates at a rate of 1 part phos. per 1000 parts nitrates.
- Corals do best with phos levels at 0.2. Algae requires phos levels of 0.3 or higher to thrive (not much of a window there).

At the end of this I think that I have learned to let my Phosguard or GFO stay in the reactor until I start to see the first signs of Cyano. If you refresh your phosphate remover as soon as you see cyano it should clear up in a day.
Watch macroalgae growth rate to determine Nitrate levels. If your macro grows a lot in a weeks time then it's time for a water change.

I'm not an expert and these are just my novice observations. Hope this helps somebody else along the way.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by LakeCityReefs LakeCityReefs wrote:

If you refresh your phosphate remover as soon as you see cyano it should clear up in a day.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
In the "Red Slime/Cyanobacteria of many colors, how to eradicate it." discussion linked directly here and always found in the Reefkeeping Tips below, the input of other hobbyists shows us that Cyanobacteria is a very resilient organism, (neither algae nor bacteria) that can actually "change it's spots" depending on the circumstances. I believe that's how it has lasted for billions of years.

There is actually noticeable variance in the pollution levels at which different coral and different algae, even individual colonies of the same exact species from the same parent colony, can either tolerate and/or thrive. Happened in my system just the other day.

Aloha Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 22 2014 at 11:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic